What expedition rig to get?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
It wasn't an actual equation per se, rather an attempt to numerically represent my opinion of modern GM electrical systems. Gm uses a databus electrical system that runs variable voltage through the same wire to control multiple functions. It's extremely difficult to integrate anything into, a PITA to work on, and if something were to go wrong with one compenent, it can potentially effect many other things. For expedition vehicles, there is some logic to keeping things simple and I admit the WJ is far less "simple" than an FJ60 or 62. Probably similar to the more modern 80's and 100's though.

Oh man, I must look at too many equations every day. Oddly it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't an actual equation. duh. Like mesha+250 13 year olds + equations=brain malfunction. Variable voltage does seem like a complicated way to do things.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I am looking at a tahoe tonight. I won't do the solid axle thing probably, but I like my truck. has it been reliable for you?

I have over 200k miles on the tahoe. I replaced a water pump about 5 yrs ago and the 4l60e went out at 183k. I tore out the IFS because it was completely worn out at 190k(squeeked, clunked, wouldnt hold an alignment). The rear axle also developed a whine at about the same time. It looks like this weekend Ill be putting in its first new starter. Thats all the things that have been fixed on that truck in its life(my dad bought it new in Dec 1995). I would call it increadibly reliable.

Unless you are going to stick to gravel roads, you should think about the solid axle swap. The Tahoes only have about 9" of ground clearance stock. With the ~6" of lift the solid axle gives me I have 18" at the frame and 20" at the rock sliders. You can easily do a SAS for less than the price of a good IFS lift kit.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Stay away from the 1999's. I would lean towards the 02-04 with the updated trim and interior.

Also, the quadradrive (or quadratrac?) that some of them has works pretty well. It's about the same as having pretty solid limited slips in both diffs.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
If you're around 6', the sloped roof might bug you. It bugged me in the ones we test drove, kind of blocked vision like a visor. :D

They're very comfortable though, plus: COILS. :D

I thought the same thing about the WJ's when I was shopping for a car for the wife. She claimed she hated the WJs, even with the V8 so she got the Trailblazer she wanted. Once the deal was done she admitted she liked the jeeps but didnt want to buy a car she KNEW I would find a way to modify. Of course now she begs to drive the Tahoe to work all the time. :rolleyes:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If you're around 6', the sloped roof might bug you. It bugged me in the ones we test drove, kind of blocked vision like a visor. :D

They're very comfortable though, plus: COILS. :D

I have the same problem in my ZJ, but I'm 6'2" and it's only because the sunroof option lowers the inside roof by about 2 inches. I didn't have the same problem in my other ZJ's.

I just roll deep in my seat and fuhgettaboutit.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I'm 6'6" and have no complaints about visibility in my WJ.

Mesha, If you want get a hold of me and you can take mine for a spin.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Drove a 01 tahoe today. It was pretty dang nice compared to the cars I drive. Had
140k with leather blah blah. Came with a 5 year 100k additional powertrain warrantee. My wife really liked it, I just liked it.

Crawlinbear I'm going to pm you. I need to drive the WJ.

queenofmoab

So, Hi, I am the wife. I kind of agree with krawlers wife. I am having a hard time wanting to buy something that I know will end up in the driveway with the tires off, axels in the garage and other various parts chopped up for most of the year!! Just Kidding. I really love driving through the Swell and stuff like that. I just want something that will be comfortable and reliable enough to take on long trips off OR on road. Our cars now are not really that way. 1990 meto... the truck would probably be fine but not too convinient with the car seats. I think I am leaning towards the cherokee or the Tacoma (in my dreams...I am a social worker and he is a teacher. Not the richest professions :).

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So, Hi, I am the wife. I kind of agree with krawlers wife. I am having a hard time wanting to buy something that I know will end up in the driveway with the tires off, axels in the garage and other various parts chopped up for most of the year!! Just Kidding. I really love driving through the Swell and stuff like that. I just want something that will be comfortable and reliable enough to take on long trips off OR on road. Our cars now are not really that way. 1990 meto... the truck would probably be fine but not too convinient with the car seats. I think I am leaning towards the cherokee or the Tacoma (in my dreams...I am a social worker and he is a teacher. Not the richest professions :).

What are you talking about? I never have my rigs torn apart, the jeep has only been apart for about 8 months now.

Anytime Mesha, I should be around the house all weekend. Honey-do's :-\

If you wouldn't mind PMing me your number i will call you.

spencevans

Overlander
I am on my second LX450 after trying a Jeep there for a few years and I would never go back. My in-laws had a 2002 tahoe and even though it was 6 years newer than my LX450, the LX450 was much more refined. Toyota is just a cut above GM, and Chrysler. The part I love most about the FJ80 is there size, yeah they look big, but they are shorter than a first generation Durango by about 2-3".

Also I know alot of people are not fans of the Land Rovers, but the Discovery is a great expedition vehicle. I can handle moderate rock crawling and when outfitted with a roofrack and gear they look as cool as any rig on the road.

Whatever you do, get what you want. If you want to trick out a Subaru Forrester, go for it. I like seeing thing that are different. I was told by many that my Mitsubishi Pickup would never make for a serious expedition/off road rig but I think it's about there. It just needs a tcase and some expedition gear.:greg:

While I am on, here are some pics of my favorite expedition rig ever. I came across it a few years back in Yellowstone. I like it because it is different, and different is soooooo cool. Enough can't be said for originality.

transfer11156.jpg

transfer11153.jpg

transfer11152.jpg

transfer11150.jpg

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That thing is awesome!!! I am going to drive a grand cherokee and a land cruiser this weekend.

spencevans

Overlander
That thing is awesome!!! I am going to drive a grand cherokee and a land cruiser this weekend.

And pictures don't even do it justice. It was a custom 6wd and all three axles had selectable lockers. It had a popup tent and every thing. Also, I love that it had 3 spare tires, did I mention it was a turbo diesel. The rig was just very well thought out.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
well, I (by I I mean my wife) made up my mind. We bought a rig yesterday. I'll get some pics up later. Don't get too excited its kinda weenie.