What expedition rig to get?

spencevans

Overlander
well, I (by I I mean my wife) made up my mind. We bought a rig yesterday. I'll get some pics up later. Don't get too excited its kinda weenie.

I don't mean to steal your thunder but I took this pic of you driving your weenie mobile home yesterday. :greg:

2446922675_aa53ab7338.jpg

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't mean to steal your thunder but I took this pic of you driving your weenie mobile home yesterday. :greg:

2446922675_aa53ab7338.jpg

That is actually very close, but your picture has bigger tires and more clearance. I am working on pictures.

landrover

their is only 2 choices toyota or landrover

anyone telling you anything neg about a landrover should call me for a ride
not without their qwirks but just look at how long it took toyota or jeep to catch up. we have had coils and 3,4 link from the factory for years.
check into a 04 disco 2 right out of the box is one of the most capable trucks
ever built !!!! at that price your close to a lr3 they claim the best 4x4 ever
dont laugh traction control, air susspention, hill desent ,the off road mods
are no joke i drove one for 7k miles whent places stock toyotas wouldnt dream of going. the only draw back would be low resell but if buying used?
my rangrover we paid 90k a year ago to day with 30k on it half that.
ask solidfrontaxel a few post back how he got home a few weeks ago.
yes the 99 disco to the rescue

Last edited:

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
their is only 2 choices toyota or landrover

anyone telling you anything neg about a landrover should call me for a ride
not without their qwirks but just look at how long it took toyota or jeep to catch up. we have had coils and 3,4 link from the factory for years.
check into a 04 disco 2 right out of the box is one of the most capable trucks
ever built !!!! at that price your close to a lr3 they claim the best 4x4 ever
dont laugh traction control, air susspention, hill desent ,the off road mods
are no joke i drove one for 7k miles whent places stock toyotas wouldnt dream of going. the only draw back would be low resell but if buying used?
my rangrover we paid 90k a year ago to day with 30k on it half that.
ask solidfrontaxel a few post back how he got home a few weeks ago.
yes the 99 disco to the rescue

Some of us know how Wyatt likes to find trouble, Sure you pulled him out, But thats what friends are for, Right?

Im sure you have heard that 9 out of 10 Rovers are still on the road, The last one made it home ;)
Oh and welcome to posting :)

roverrocks

My 97 Disco has been a great vehicle and very dependable. Knock on wood of course. I would not hesitate to take it on an expedition. It's done Hole-in-the-Rock with no problems plus spent lots of time at Moab doing Hell's Gate on Hell's Revenge, Golden Spike, Cliff Hanger, etc.. With the ARB's it gets around well. They are quirky British vehicles and are more expensive to maintain than Jeeps but are excellent offroad and ride very well offroad. Those of us who have them love them. They have a big name overseas but not in the states. They aren't just a soccer mom SUV.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
2009 JK 4 door with 6 miles
3.73 gears
limited slip
6 speed manual
huge tires

We went to look at them and the price was a little out of my original budget, but it was a great deal. I know a lot of people will be mad but WE like it.

Now I need a lift. Calling vendors!!

I'm thinking a 2.5-3 inch lift. I don't want to void the lifetime powertrain warrranty.

Attachments

• may29 2009 023.jpg
    may29 2009 023.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 9
  • may29 2009 024.jpg
    may29 2009 024.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 11

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
2009 JK 4 door with 6 miles
3.73 gears
limited slip
6 speed manual
huge tires

We went to look at them and the price was a little out of my original budget, but it was a great deal. I know a lot of people will be mad but WE like it.

Now I need a lift. Calling vendors!!

I'm thinking a 2.5-3 inch lift. I don't want to void the lifetime powertrain warrranty.

:cool:

I think a JK has some great potential for a Overland travel rig. What tire size will you be shooting for?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
:cool:

I think a JK has some great potential for a Overland travel rig. What tire size will you be shooting for?

Looking at 33-35 range. I just can't handle the little tires it came with. I guess I am not truley an expedition guy. I think 33-35 will be a good size for what we need to do.

I am wondering if 15 inch wheels will fit on the brakes. I have 4 35 inch mtrs I could throw on if they will.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Nice,

there is a reason they come with 17" wheels. 15's wont fit. Should have said something sooner, I just sold a brand new set of 35x12.5.17 KM2s.

When you finally get new rubber under it. let me know what you are doing with your take offs. They will fit on my WJ.

Looks good, good luck in the build.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Nice,

there is a reason they come with 17" wheels. 15's wont fit. Should have said something sooner, I just sold a brand new set of 35x12.5.17 KM2s.

When you finally get new rubber under it. let me know what you are doing with your take offs. They will fit on my WJ.

Looks good, good luck in the build.

It looked like it would be close on the wheels. Mine came with 16" wheels and my wishful thinking brain though 15 might fit, but the more I look at it the more I don't think they will.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking at 33-35 range. I just can't handle the little tires it came with. I guess I am not truley an expedition guy. I think 33-35 will be a good size for what we need to do...

Gear it right and 35's would be great. I think there's a blurry line between a true 'expedition' vehicle and a weekend-warrior 'camping' rig. I think many of us are leaning towards the latter, myself included.

I do want to setup our FJ80 for some big trips to Baja and be self-reliant for several days, so that is my ultimate goal. Using your JK to explore around Utah can go both ways, you can camp out of it and still run the typical Moab trails like Golden Spike, etc. Running 35's may not be the typical expedition-style build, but it allows you to travel harder trails that are prevalent in this area. I think there's nothing wrong with building a 4x4 for Overland travel and wheelin in Moab. As long as it suites you, that's all that matters.

Eventually my FJ80 will have 35's just because it will make those more difficult trails and obstacles that much easier to navigate. Keep the lift height reasonable to keep the COG down, build for that tire size and use the rig like intended!

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Nice choice! I would love a 4 door JK as an expedition rig. THrow some 35's on there and you'll have an extremely capable ride.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
:greg: I like it. I'm not the biggest Jeep person, but I'll admit I was drooling over the JK's when they first came out. Cargo room "might" be a little less than some of the other rigs you mentioned, but I bet it will meet or exceeed your expectations when it comes to anything else. Time to hit the trail with it :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Gear it right and 35's would be great. I think there's a blurry line between a true 'expedition' vehicle and a weekend-warrior 'camping' rig. I think many of us are leaning towards the latter, myself included.

I do want to setup our FJ80 for some big trips to Baja and be self-reliant for several days, so that is my ultimate goal. Using your JK to explore around Utah can go both ways, you can camp out of it and still run the typical Moab trails like Golden Spike, etc. Running 35's may not be the typical expedition-style build, but it allows you to travel harder trails that are prevalent in this area. I think there's nothing wrong with building a 4x4 for Overland travel and wheelin in Moab. As long as it suites you, that's all that matters.

Eventually my FJ80 will have 35's just because it will make those more difficult trails and obstacles that much easier to navigate. Keep the lift height reasonable to keep the COG down, build for that tire size and use the rig like intended!

Thats exactly what I am aiming for. A weekend rig that could do some bigger expeditions with the right packing. It seems like lift and bigger tires will be nice so I can do all the trails I want. I don't think that size of tires will hurt reliability or cause more breakage.

I took the family out today up AF canyon and nothing beats folding the top back and driving throught the mountains. The longest I really go out without support is 1 week so I think this can be set up just fine for that.