What expedition rig to get?

spencevans

Overlander
Like the new ride. Rumor has it that some 15" rims will fit while others do not. Do a search on the JKOwners forum. They have a couple of thread dedicated to 15" wheels that fit over the JK calipers. I think the JK is a great choice because the aftermarket upgrades are limitless. I am fond of Old Man Emu suspension my self when it come to expedition rigs. I know they cost more than some of their competitors but I think it is well worth it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Like the new ride. Rumor has it that some 15" rims will fit while others do not. Do a search on the JKOwners forum. They have a couple of thread dedicated to 15" wheels that fit over the JK calipers. I think the JK is a great choice because the aftermarket upgrades are limitless. I am fond of Old Man Emu suspension my self when it come to expedition rigs. I know they cost more than some of their competitors but I think it is well worth it.

Thanks for the site I will check it out.

JoeT

2009 JK 4 door with 6 miles
3.73 gears
limited slip
6 speed manual
huge tires

We went to look at them and the price was a little out of my original budget, but it was a great deal. I know a lot of people will be mad but WE like it.

Now I need a lift. Calling vendors!!

I'm thinking a 2.5-3 inch lift. I don't want to void the lifetime powertrain warrranty.

Hey welcome to the JK family! You need to visit Carl at PLUS sometime. Check out www.jk-forum.com

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Irbis Offroad in CO has a pretty cool build going on...

Take a Toyota Tundra:
3k03mf3lcZZZZZZZZZ96f8334474088381e.jpg

And a vintage Toyota Chinook:
DSC05011.jpg

Mix it together:
DSC05675.jpg
[/QUOTE]

mesha

By endurance we conquer
those milspecs are cool.

Went camping above monticello and then in moab for a week and the room in the jk is awesome. 2 kids the wife and me and all the gear all fit inside with some room to spare.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Mesha,
You will love the JK.
We wheel ours often with the whole family and gear.
In fact we're headed to the Rubicon Tuesday with it.

Talk to Carl Plus or Joe T about setting it up right, although they are fun out of the box.

Last edited:
exp vehicle

there is an fj with the same front end as this brown one that sami has posted its in orem at cleggs automotive if your looking at this route it might be worth looking into it looked pretty straight . if you want i could swing but after work and see how much they want for it and what not . let me know . good luck in your endevors !
I vote FJ62, because that's what I want someday. Others have listed the pros/cons, so i'll just add that the '62 gets my vote..

How can you possibly find something cooler looking than this for the price? Kurt Williams proved that you can still find some out there with little to no rust!!
DSCF1147.jpg

fj62newwheels.jpg

Ford Prefect

2009 JK 4 door with 6 miles
3.73 gears
limited slip
6 speed manual
huge tires

We went to look at them and the price was a little out of my original budget, but it was a great deal. I know a lot of people will be mad but WE like it.

Now I need a lift. Calling vendors!!

I'm thinking a 2.5-3 inch lift. I don't want to void the lifetime powertrain warranty.

You should check out this build thread. He (IMHO) did a very nice job of it. Lots of really great ideas, like a back up battery under the rear seat, lots of good stuff in here.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12427

Anyhow, Congrats on the jeep. I like the color a lot too. I have heard that with a little fender trimming you can put 36, even 37s in there with just a 2" bb lift. If you are easy on the skinny pedal you could run that with little work on the axles. (you know, gears and such, maybe alloy shafts or something)

Never the less, best of luck, and please keep us up on your build!

Brian

GOAT

Back from the beyond
If I had the money, and needed to get through the middle of nowhere the Ural 4320 with a commanders box would be my choice. Hell, I'd drive it to work:D

2006_1008_065328AA.sized.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
here it is now

4 inch rough country lift
35 12.5 15 mtrs
aluminum 15 inch wheels (no grinding needed)

Attachments

• jk lift 001.jpg
    jk lift 001.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 27
  • jk lift 002.jpg
    jk lift 002.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 20

mesha

By endurance we conquer
well, so far I bought the edgestar 63 qt fridge/freezer. I have nook and crannied a bunch of survival gear. bought a little expo trailer to pull behind it. deciding if I am going to put a RTT on the trailer or stick with my ground tent. Going to put a winch and dual batteries on it. got a propane shower and stuff like that. we have already done 2 one week trips in it unsupported with wife and 2 kids. It has been great so far.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
expo was short for expose trailer. I plan on going back in time to when those were cool and hauling midgets and bearded ladies around.

I should have said I bought a little tro(short for trailer) that I plan on towing behind my JO (means JK) when I drive around on what I call an expo (what my 3 year old calls an expedition). Most people wouldn't say it that way. Still haven't gotten that drawer mounted. One day though.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
expo was short for expose trailer. I plan on going back in time to when those were cool and hauling midgets and bearded ladies around.

I should have said I bought a little tro(short for trailer) that I plan on towing behind my JO (means JK) when I drive around on what I call an expo (what my 3 year old calls an expedition). Most people wouldn't say it that way. Still haven't gotten that drawer mounted. One day though.

LOL, good answer :D

I tease because this is a common joke amongst members of the ExpeditionPortal forum aka ExPo. It seems newcomers join the forum and call everything an "ExPo Trailer" or "ExPo Tent" until they get reminded a couple of times that ExPo is a thing or a place, not an activity. Though I like the idea of hauling midgets around :greg: