Wheelin/Trail Goals for 2020

JonasB

JonasB, not sure of your schedule but it might not be a bad idea to sign up for a basic/intro trail at Winter 4x4 Jamboree.

A bunch of people will be down there, it’s beautiful country, and give you a reasonably safe place to try your rig out.

Stay with the trails recommended for your rig specs and you should have a great time. Get out of your rig during stops and introduce yourself to folks.
Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll definitely look into that. Starter course would probably be a safe bet since these trails are a lot more intense than what we had in GA.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll definitely look into that. Starter course would probably be a safe bet since these trails are a lot more intense than what we had in GA.
It is probably pretty different, :D But don't let that stop you from going. Too many people think they need whatever the biggest and baddest rig before they go.

Getting out is the big thing. Meeting new people is pretty cool too.

The core group of who I wheel with I have met through "events" type gatherings. (One of them was about 16 years ago :oops: )

I usually find myself at events wandering around checking out rigs like its a car show and talking to people about thier rigs, getting ideas for mine.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Vernal, Billings/21 mile, Price....

We definitely need to hit Price after the mud season. We tried last summer but had a break down in the group and cut things short.

Vernal is another got to get back to situation. It was fun to try trails that I haven't been on multiple times... (cough... Hell Revenge, cough...)

joez

Looking forward to making my way to EJS for the first time for at least a portion of it, and then continuing on to Sand Hollow. Should be a fun 11 day trip from here in Chicagoland. Will be my second trip to Moab, but looking forward to seeing the madness. Do have a few questions, but wasn't sure if an EJS 2020 forum was going to open up, or maybe I will post then in the 2019 after doing some more research.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
@Jinx with online registration closed do you think it would be too much of a gamble to go and hope something is available?

@JonasB,
I can't speak for the event but usually the Middle to High Scale trails (5-10) fill up fast with the lower rated trails having some room...

I am headed down Wednesday night I can check whats open and post up if that helps, but I am betting they can find you a trail.

Which trail sounds good to you?

If I were running my daily driver that needed to take me 300 miles home and it was my first time wheeling in Sand Hallow, I would probably looking at trails 1-3, maybe 4 if it sounds fun/extra appealing. Go, have a good time, keep your rig in the same shape you brought it and get your feet wet for the next time. :)

Don't be too concerned that most of the vehicles aren't full sized rigs (Trucks), you will see a ton of Jeeps and smaller type set ups... You will need to figure out a flag for your rig though.

JonasB

@JonasB,
I can't speak for the event but usually the Middle to High Scale trails (5-10) fill up fast with the lower rated trails having some room...

I am headed down Wednesday night I can check whats open and post up if that helps, but I am betting they can find you a trail.

Which trail sounds good to you?

If I were running my daily driver that needed to take me 300 miles home and it was my first time wheeling in Sand Hallow, I would probably looking at trails 1-3, maybe 4 if it sounds fun/extra appealing. Go, have a good time, keep your rig in the same shape you brought it and get your feet wet for the next time. :)

Don't be too concerned that most of the vehicles aren't full sized rigs (Trucks), you will see a ton of Jeeps and smaller type set ups... You will need to figure out a flag for your rig though.
Honestly was looking at the 101 and any level 3 which all seem pretty open. I guess get there early the day of a trail and see if they can get me in?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
101 is a good call! I hadn’t noticed that one or I would have recommended it.

My trails are listed towards first of this thread. I hope to bump into you.

JonasB

@Jinx thanks for the suggestion on this event. My g/f and I will be there Friday and Saturday. Just got to figure out how to register for a trail since registration is closed. If anyone has any suggestions just let me know!

The_Lobbster

I'd like to finish up my samurai, get it up American Fork Canyon, to Moab to wheel Top of the World, Golden Spike, and Metal Masher. Specifically in that order.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
@Jinx thanks for the suggestion on this event. My g/f and I will be there Friday and Saturday. Just got to figure out how to register for a trail since registration is closed. If anyone has any suggestions just let me know!

to Register at the event go to the Fairgrounds and ask for registeration. If you can do it when you first get there you will have the best chance. :)

pkrfctr

Onsite registration opens Wed at 4 pm and Thurs, Fri at 7 am. Once they close registration we can't get in to see how full the runs are anymore, but as Jinxs mentioned there are usually openings in the range you're looking at.

JonasB

Onsite registration opens Wed at 4 pm and Thurs, Fri at 7 am. Once they close registration we can't get in to see how full the runs are anymore, but as Jinxs mentioned there are usually openings in the range you're looking at.
Thanks man! Got hotel booked and everything so I'll cross my fingers they have something open.

Golden Spike is #1 on my list. Ridden passenger on it a few times but have never driven it myself. #2 is West Rim in Sand Hollow.

As far as obstacles go...I want to do hells gate and mickeys hot tub. Never had anyone I trust to spot me so have avoided em both.

Happy new year all!