Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

sixstringsteve

reaching out to our YouTube friends.

[video=youtube;spwAm9dT9J8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwAm9dT9J8&index=11&list=PLWysv3wFKyy51uoVI85jdvMAEPOcmA6hr[/video]

sixstringsteve

20150816_093026.jpg

20150816_100231.jpg

it's a great van. '98 7.3L, 125k miles, 15 passenger. A little surface rust on the frame (it's from NJ). It's got a lift from Tulsa Truck Manufacturing D60s front and rear, mile marker hubs, and brand new 33s.. I'm not crazy about the lift (leaf spring with shackles in the front), but it does the job. I'll probably end up slapping a bunch of Ujoint parts on it. It's got some bump steer and it wanders a little at 65 mph +. Overall it's a very very solid platform. It's HUGE.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Have an alignment shop throw a little more caster into it, and check all the tierod ends and steering box for play.

Are you planning on pulling a trailer for more room inside the van?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Glad you were finally able to find a rig that will work for you, and more importantly a seller that worked for you.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Have an alignment shop throw a little more caster into it, and check all the tierod ends and steering box for play.

Are you planning on pulling a trailer for more room inside the van?

Yep, I'd try fixing what you have rather than throwing a lot of parts at it--which may or may not improve anything.

sixstringsteve

Adding heavier swaybars will help driveability too. Does it have a front track bar? It should.

Yeah, it's got front and rear track bars. There's a lot of crap attached to the axles. I think I'll try a ujoint suspension at least, then go from there. It's probably all in my head, but I don't like the front shackle setup.

sixstringsteve

I'll be selling the roof rack soon; I don't think i need it. And even if I did need it, I wouldn't be able to climb up there to get anything on or off.

Even with the roof rack, I averaged 16.5 mpg on the trip back from denver. Not bad, considering I was going over 70 mph a lot of the time.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'll be selling the roof rack soon; I don't think i need it. And even if I did need it, I wouldn't be able to climb up there to get anything on or off.

Even with the roof rack, I averaged 16.5 mpg on the trip back from denver. Not bad, considering I was going over 70 mph a lot of the time.

I'd keep the roof rack and put some chairs up there when you stop. :greg:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The rack would be great for fire wood, and other dirty junk you won't want in the van or trailer.

And it looks sweet

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd ditch the rack as well. It may store a lot of stuff, but it's only gonna exacerbate the already high COG. Plus, I hate climbing on the roof to pull down useful items.

sixstringsteve

It's too tall for me to even reach the bottom of it. It'd be quite the fiasco trying to get stuff out of there. I'll be throwing it up on KSL soon.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
That roof rack is the ultimate sleeping platform, id be sleeping up there nearly every night. I used to sit on the mountain at night and just lay on top of my big trailer and just watch the stars, that is just flat out cool.