which winch for a guy who doesn't like winches?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
This should qualify as a decent test. The snow was firm enough to walk on and was quite wet but obviously wouldn't support the Truck's. Once it dug down the snow compacted and got very icy. All 4 tires were spinning and I was on the framerails.

Out came the controller and a slow, controlled tug was all it took. No violent jerking from a strap.

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I’ve had plenty of recoveries w/ and w/out winches and or come-along pulling devices and here is a bit of my 2cents.

Having a winch is way better than not having a winch when the situation requires it... even a make shift winch with high-lift jack.

I've also used my electric winches over using a manual pull/jack just because I want to get out of the way no matter how safe it may be... better safe than sorry in most cases to get you, your crew and family members in a routine of backing away from a situation where live pulling cable is exposed.

I have used a electric winch for lots of trail fixes and have been creative in complex recovery's made safe & easy with snatch blocks with 150 to 250 foot of line.

a 6000 LBS winch would stall and heat up on me very quick (not good on a battery)... even winching a sami. Hence, I would go with an 8K or bigger as a rule of thumb.

Although I currently enjoy the synthetic lines characteristics on front and rear winches, I also use it them as a "suck down" winch at both ends and seem to break the line a few times a year due to lack of break over strength on my fairlead. Metal winch cable for robust reliability and Synthetic winch line for user friendly characteristics.

I do not have experience with the reciever mount style, but have also been under the impression they were the best style for a rig that would not need it often.

I concur they are getting cheaper each year and I see lots of name brands on KSL quite cheap...

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Oh and I would say WARN HS 9000 is my suggestion.... Any winch in my perspective with an integrated solenoid box holds up to elements and trail damage better, although a bit heavier, although the remote solenoid version can be easier to mount in a convenient location.

sixstringsteve

When I get a winch, it'll be a 9000-9500 lb winch. I don't doubt that a WARN is good, I just need to start saving my pennies.

UFAB

The new badlands winch at harbor freight look interesting. Love to hear a report on them. Current sale at harbor freight has a 12K winch for $299.00.

I have used several Warn winches, T-max, Super Winch, Ramsey, mile markers.

They all heat up and get weaker with more wraps of cable on the drum.

Personally I think all the house brand winches like Bully Dog, XRC, Q Series, Redline are all the same like the Harbor Freight, also the t-max resembles the cheaper ones as well. Mile marker has made some changes, but was looked upon as the cheaper winch back in the day.

How often will you use it and how often would you like to repair it with parts that are available. Also what vendor has the best warranty plan?

sixstringsteve

I actually.heard that some overland Toyota guy is testing the harbor freight winches and giving.them feedback to improve.them
Supposedly they're pretty good little winches. for that.price you can replace them every 5 years.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My main concern with a cheap winch is that I would perceive that they may have more of a tendency to break under load.
What would be a very useful tool to have in the RME community is some form of load cell that would allow you to test your winch at a calibrated full rated load about once a season. At a minimum, it could be useful to weed out the early failures in a winch and give you greater confidence in a lower cost one.

On the subject of steel -vs- synthetic, maybe synthetic is a little safer, but marginally so given reasonable winching practice and my $250 can be better spent elsewhere. It's funny that there is so much chatter about the safety of a winch but very little about the much more dangerous Hi-Lift jack.

Last edited:

kellerexpress

I own one of superwinch talon series winches, the 12.5sr to be exact. The warranty is great(lifetime mechanical,3 years electrical), it's completely water proof and has a fast line speed. Synthetic line is a bonus but not a necessity. Has been great so far. Also I saw there is a 50% off coupon floating around right now. I do think warns are the best but superwinch is a close 2nd IMO, and with the discount coupon the price is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Team1k

Coming in a little late to this discussion but i too have a harbor freight winch. Its an older 9000# model they dont make anymore. I bought it used and abused off KSL for $75. Been using it for 3 years since with no issues.

Also one other interesting thing is the harbor freight badland winches are designed by a Mile Marker engineer per Petersens 4wheel and off road.

Quote:

"The company also has an effective process to develop new products: Hire engineers and turn them loose with “money is no object” guidelines to design products that meet or exceed the quality and features of competitive products while retailing for a fraction of the cost. One result of that thinking is Harbor Freight’s new line of Badland winches, designed by a former Mile Marker engineer. Badland’s 9,000-pound winch, comparable to Warn’s XD9000 model, retails for $299, a fraction of the other’s $1,200 sticker.

Link:
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/depart..._2011_drivelines_news_and_rumors/viewall.html

I included pictures from its latest test 2 weeks ago. Not sure how heavy a stock lexus is but it was making my 5000# jeep slide at one point.
20121124_104336.jpgphoto2.jpg

zukijames

If you read they explain it was an accident looks like 11/26!was about the last day it worked there honoring people you who ordered before that.. Dang I was trying to get myself a Christmas present

Strautins

http://www.truckaddons.com

I bought my Warn m8000 from these guys and they were great, free (fast) shipping and TONS of discounts. I have 10% of code that the guy gave me "bc10p" that you can stack on their other discounts... You can get the Engo winches for very cheap and they are great winches, all my friends use them and I would have gotten one too but they were back ordered and I'm impatient.