Willys Crawler 2.0 aka The Bastard

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
That's right! I think I'm going to run 14" ORI's at this point, mostly due to the packaging and simplicity of not needing additional pieces. Probably going to buy 2 at a time, so it doesn't hurt the wallet as much. :grimacing:
B0BFB01A-CBCF-413B-8474-1FAF556661BE.jpeg

just in case you are wondering what 14” ORIs look like. 😎

cycling the suspension to check for issues before I took it to W4x4j.

worked awesome.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Stupid stable...

Granted almost 20 years on leaf spring might have to do with that.

Overall ride was day and night different, and it always climbed pretty good before but without any axle wrap, I found myself looking for things to try and climb up. :D

When I decided to do this build, I decided I was going to do as much as I could to use people I knew in the industry.

So folks like Team Fred, Craig Stump in Delta, Julene at Summit Machine, Ryan at Agility, JC at Midnight, really happy with how it turned out. Just need to find more time to get out on the trail. ;)

Radius Arms/track bar in the front to beat the narrow CJ frame, 4 link in the rear. No sway bar.

When life slows down a little I want to do a recap of the build, but my world is a little crazy for another couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Bart

Very cool Jinx. I remember the difference just 4 linking the rear of the CJ made, so I can imagine how great that was on both ends. Looks great.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, the engine has been decided! I just made a deal for a LQ4 6.0 Gen III engine. The engine was built and has 12 miles on it, but the cam bearings went out. It has 317 heads and some obvious upgrades, so someone put money into it. The current owner bought a truck with the LQ4 in it, so he doesn't know build specs or details. The LQ4 was dyno'd at 500 HP, so the Willys ought to be pretty fun (scary?) to drive. It's going to need a full teardown, inspection, cleaning, etc. The owner is keeping some of the parts, the intake, valve covers, flex plate, etc.

The engine is still installed, so I was able to hear it fire up and run. It has a pretty good, light knock... but sounded very healthy.

20210203_141101-X2.jpg

I'll replace the cam with an aftermarket cam focused on torque and look into adding a TBSS intake, which makes better torque down low than the older truck intakes and still flows more air than the desirable LS6 intake on the top end.

The owner has decided to upgrade to a LS 427 with twin turbo's, shooting for 1000 HP!

RockChucker

Isn't a TBSS intake for rectangle port heads? I can't remember. I've read so many things that I can't remember. I do know I have an LY6 intake manifold to go with my LS3 heads....

Greg

Admin
Isn't a TBSS intake for rectangle port heads? I can't remember. I've read so many things that I can't remember. I do know I have an LY6 intake manifold to go with my LS3 heads....

Nope, the TBSS is for cathedral port heads... would be a great upgrade for the LQ4.

That said, the owner just offered to include the intake, injectors, fuel rail and TB for a little more $$$. I think its a Holley Sniper, but I didn't ask because earlier, it wasn't part of the deal.

Greg

Admin
I've been slowly gathering parts for the axles & link suspension so I can start setting that up. I had a truss built for the rear Dana 70 by my local metal fab shop. It's very tight against the diff, planning to mount the upper links on the sides of the truss, rather on top so I can keep it low and still have 6" up travel. It's build out of 3/8" plate, 4 1/2" wide. Should be plenty beefy!

20210203_155244-X2.jpg

Also ordered a Artec DIY Ram Mount.... guess this means I've committed to full hydro with a DE ram! It should fit my narrowed Dana 60, but I need to cut out a piece for the differential.

20210203_155332-X2.jpg

I also ordered up some pucks and DOM tube that are 2 5/8" wide, which I'll use to mock up the suspension link mounts and set the right spacing for welding up.

20210203_154332-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
I think I'm going to run my front upper link mount above the differential (and driveshaft), just need to figure out how to make it work. I have thought about another truss, but need to work around the uptravel and frame. I am hesitant to weld directly to the cast housing, I know it's been done but with a 3 link and only 1 upper link, I'd afraid of the weld coming apart. I could build a truss, tie it onto the cast housing leaf spring mount to and weld some plate onto the top of the housing. I think that would be pretty strong, long as the weld to the cast was done right.

This would leave plenty of room to run the exhaust down the passenger side of the Jeep, rather than having the upper link in the way.

RockChucker

Also ordered a Artec DIY Ram Mount.... guess this means I've committed to full hydro with a DE ram! It should fit my narrowed Dana 60, but I need to cut out a piece for the differential.
ha! I'd argue you've only committed to full hydro once you get an orbital to control the cylinder...check out Radial Dynamics for your parts. They had prices on par with everyone else, but shipping/sales tax were less for me. Assuming you go with PSC or the like....my brother had great luck with his surplus center cylinder.

Corban_White

Nope, the TBSS is for cathedral port heads... would be a great upgrade for the LQ4.

That said, the owner just offered to include the intake, injectors, fuel rail and TB for a little more $$$. I think its a Holley Sniper, but I didn't ask because a earlier it wasn't part of the deal.

Pretty sure I can read sniper on the TB in your pic above. :cool:

Greg

Admin
Looks like this may be the intake, no name, custom fabbed.

Greg

Admin
Nice looking intake.

I'm guessing that it's built for top-end performance and lacks bottom-end torque. I'll probably purchase it with the engine, then sell it to someone with a car that want's to upgrade and move forward with the TBSS intake which is more suited to making torque.