Jeep Willys ground-up build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

This is at full compression:

IMG_2265.jpg

...and pretty close to full droop. That's an 8" travel shock, yeilding 12" of travel. (1.5:1 ratio for you math-challenged types :p)

IMG_2269.jpg

That is some serious engineering & fab work!!:bow:

Do you have to order specially valved shocks to run horizontaly?:confused:

Also, the 1.5 to 1 ratio will be the same for spring rate & damping characteristics:eek:, I wonder if that will make it tough to dial in??:cool:

Don't get me wrong, it's a very cool setup & great space saver, I can hardly wait to see this one finished & see how well it all works!!:thumbs:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That is some serious engineering & fab work!!:bow:

Do you have to order specially valved shocks to run horizontaly?:confused:

Also, the 1.5 to 1 ratio will be the same for spring rate & damping characteristics:eek:, I wonder if that will make it tough to dial in??:cool:

Don't get me wrong, it's a very cool setup & great space saver, I can hardly wait to see this one finished & see how well it all works!!:thumbs:

Being horizontal doesn't change the spring rate or valving requirements, but a remote reservoir is necessary. The 1.5:1 ratio will, but the bigger problem is the extremely progressive rate change through the range of travel. :eek: From full compression, the first 8 or so inches uses about 4 inches of shock. The last 4 inches of travel uses 4 inches of shock.

I'm interested to see how it works too!

It looks really good in person! (Sorry I slowed you down some today...)

Hey, no problem....that's what Sundays are for! :D

Corban_White

Progressive isn't too bad.........it can actually be a good thing some times. Where in that 12 inches does your ride height fall? (how much up/down travel do you plan on having?)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Progressive isn't too bad.........it can actually be a good thing some times. Where in that 12 inches does your ride height fall? (how much up/down travel do you plan on having?)

Didn't mean to make it sound bad...it just adds to the challenge of spring rate and shock tuning. :)

Ride height will probably be close to 4" up 8" down, or maybe 5/7. Somewhere there.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
OK, it's been just over a year...time I touched this thing again. :rofl:

I didn't do much, just added some nasty, very temporary bracing to allow it to support its own weight, and moved it into it's new residence. You can see some of the nastiness in the door opening here. :) (yes, the suspension is at full compression. Someone would have asked...)

IMG_2507.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So is that at full compression ;)

-_-

Actually, no it isn't. :p The front end will need to be limited a little bit, since the driveline is touching the bellhousing right now.

Hurry up. You can go to HITR with us in May.

I feel safe in guaranteeing I won't be done by May, although HITR does sound like a lot of fun.

Yes! Finally! No more excuses to not work on it. -_-

Just a couple more excuses. :greg: I have a couple more projects I've been slacking on that need to be finished up before I can spend any real time on it.