Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
2 piece driveshaft for the front? Pillow block/carrier bearing? 1350s?

One-piece, 1310's. If it proves to be a problem, I always have the option of going with a two-piece, I'm just trying to avoid the hassle. :) I can also go with a smaller diameter shaft, the one I built is 2".

Bob B

its keeping my rear axle up off the floor.. its serving a purpose.. :-\ I bet he would get more done on it if he wasn't always plasing something out for me... THANKS CARL..:thumbs:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I really appreciate the offers, but my schedule this week will not allow any worky parties. It sounds fun though, and I think we should do it. :cool: It'll be a fun way to not get very much done on it at all. :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Progresso! A little bit, anyway....I feel like I took a significant step backward after a bunch of work today. :rolleyes:

I decided to do a "high fender" deal for better tire clearance. On a flatty, you just raise the fenders up 2.75", which also moves them forward 1.38". I have stuff in the way of the fenders currently, but I cut most of the hood and moved it forward first...I'll finalize the cut later, along with the fenders. I'll start with the previous picture, so you have a comparison:

Before:
IMG_2507.jpg

After. You can see the gap I need to fill at the rear of the hood here:

IMG_2681_zps63ec30a0.jpg

IMG_2682_zps0f8c3e9d.jpg

Bunches more tire clearance--which is really good, since I couldn't even put the fenders on at full compression (which is right now). The tire was already higher than the fender, so that'll be fixed now. :D

IMG_2683_zpsd63018cd.jpg

This is the sad part. The cut gets rid of the "Willys" stamping on the hood. :(

IMG_2684_zpsa0283f82.jpg

The side benefit of moving the hood forward like this, is that it also moves the grill forward. Makes plenty of room for the radiator and electric fan. :cool:

IMG_2685_zpsa10d4393.jpg

BUT

Now that I have a pretty good idea where the radiator will live, I found there's no way I can use the Astro van steering box I planned on using. The radiator and steering box would need to occupy the same space, which isn't going to fly. :( Looks like my best option is to use a "normal" Saginaw box in the front of the frame. I thought the forward-facing pitman would be really cool and clean--and I think it would be, if only it would fit. Oh well, perhaps another time.