Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I found a few minutes to pick away at this over the holidays:

Got the axle-side link mounts mostly done, still need to box in the lowers--but I'm waiting on that until I mount coilovers, in case I need to integrate those mounts into the control arm mounts.

The upper's as done as I'm planning on it being.

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

I also finished up the front driveshaft. This is shown at full compression. (the driveshaft is about a millimeter away from hitting the bellhousing here, and that's AFTER I clearanced it. :eek: Sure glad I don't have a starter on that side anymore)

IMG_2253.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There's still a thing or two to finish up. ;)

My plan is to drive it before the Zombie Apocalypse.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's sexy. What did you do to the diff mount? I mean as far as preheat/cooling?? Cuz if you can do THAT, I may have to bribe you with pies or something for my upcoming anti-wrap bar. :D

Let me repeat: I freakin' LOVE this build.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's sexy. What did you do to the diff mount? I mean as far as preheat/cooling?? Cuz if you can do THAT, I may have to bribe you with pies or something for my upcoming anti-wrap bar. :D

Let me repeat: I freakin' LOVE this build.

I heated the whole thing up with a space heater, then a little more with a propane torch in the weld area. After welding, I wrapped it up in welding blankets for insulation, to let it cool slowly.

That method works well on Dana housings, 14 bolts don't seem to weld nearly as well. :-\ I do like pies though. :rofl:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Super slick tube work. More impressive in person. I can definitely tell you've spent some time pouring over clearances.

I was meaning to ask you about it when I was over.
3/16" or 1/4" on the lower link mounts? You think that'll be ok?
I'm guessing you're going to box them, and do weld nuts. Doesn't seem like the place I'd save weight?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
3/16" or 1/4" on the lower link mounts? You think that'll be ok?
I'm guessing you're going to box them, and do weld nuts. Doesn't seem like the place I'd save weight?

It's all 3/16", and I think it'll be fine. If it isn't, then I'll double up around the holes that are egged out. :) They'll all get boxed, just like the rear axle's mounts.
No weld nuts though, just normular nylocks.

I'm saving weight everywhere, that's why it has a D44, a Toy axle, and a V6. :greg:

Brent

another nobody

drill another hole just in from the stock one then taper it, then bend the tierod like a superduty so it clears the pumpkin. you bent the one I used on the xj with this done. I used es150L and R rod ends, they have a 3/4 fine thread and a taper near the same size as the stock rod end.

then find a high steer arm that is cut with a bend in to clear the wheel.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
drill another hole just in from the stock one then taper it, then bend the tierod like a superduty so it clears the pumpkin. you bent the one I used on the xj with this done. I used es150L and R rod ends, they have a 3/4 fine thread and a taper near the same size as the stock rod end.

then find a high steer arm that is cut with a bend in to clear the wheel.

I'm already done with that part....the tie rod is made using 3/4" heims instead of TRE's, and my hi-steer arm clears the wheel just dandy. You can kinda see it in this pic.

Also, I'm very familiar with the ES150's--but they're quite a bit smaller than the original Wagoneer tie rod taper. (which wouldn't matter if I'm tapering a new hole...)

IMG_2252.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've been waffling on what to do with the rear suspension. There is very little room back there, so I couldn't fit a coilover like I originally wanted--and I can't cut into the tub for it, since I have a rear seat in the way. So, I thought I was limited to doing a standard coil/shock setup, but then I still don't have a good place to put a shock. :sick:

So after trying to figure out alternate places to fit things, I ended up back to using a coilover, mounted horizontally, connected to the axle through a cantilever bellcrank.

Lots of hours of work later, I have these. They'll stay like they are until I can get the coilover shocks, then I can finalize their mounting. (it's just temporary and tacked in until I know the exact location)

The rods connecting to the axle are just waiting on some heims and things from RuffStuff Specialties--Dan has been GREAT to work with even though he was out of some of the parts I needed when I ordered. :cool:

You can see the spindle I used for the pivot--it's a 1.5" diameter beefcake unit--thanks Nate!

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

This is at full compression:

IMG_2265.jpg

...and pretty close to full droop. That's an 8" travel shock, yeilding 12" of travel. (1.5:1 ratio for you math-challenged types :p)

IMG_2269.jpg

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
You can see the spindle I used for the pivot--it's a 1.5" diameter beefcake unit--thanks Nate!

No problem Carl, glad you could put them to use.

I love your swingy pivot bellcrank thingy brackets! Sexy fab work! I'm excited to see the end result when the shocks are mounted.