Words and Phrases I HATE!!!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Similar to another post but I hate it when I go to a restaraunt and the waitress or waiter say, "How are WE today" I am fine but I have no idea how you are. Morons!

That is actually grammatically proper. It is more formal to say "How are we today." Than, "How are you today." But since we as a society are slowly butchering the English language no one recognizes things like this anymore.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've never said, "How are we toady"... You're likely to get an ass whoopin if you say that Stephan..

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Explain. I'm ignoring your ham-fisted attempt at spelling... and sentence structure.

Stuff it art boy.

Using 'we' to address someone is generally something that applied to nobility in England; this is referred to as the 'Royal we'. This slowly moved down to the upper classes in all of the English speaking world. If someone was unfamiliar with an individual, they would say something like, "How are we today?" or "My, aren't we have having fun?"
Obviously as our language has become more plebeian, this has fallen out of use. You can find examples of this in literature of the 19th and earlier 20th century.

STAG

On my grind
Haha that video was perfect for this thread, thanks for posting it, Herzog.

And I'm no english major, but I would say that if someone used "we" as a formal "you" to address me, I would think that they are including themselves as well...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
So you're claiming archaic Olde English as your basis for grammatical correctness in using the plural to adress the singular. Novel concept! I approve of the idiosyncratic tenacity, if not the target of the same. ;)

Swoop69

I dont like it when people give 110%. if you give it your all, then you pull out just a little bit more, then you werent giving it your all in the first place!

Floydargue

New guy
I dont like it when people give 110%. if you give it your all, then you pull out just a little bit more, then you werent giving it your all in the first place!

That's what she said.
[/thread]

LOL!!!! I really am, so this should be OK. I would say LMAO, but my ass is not literally falling off. On that note, I agree completely with swoop's point. You can only EVER give 100%.

This thread is great. I can hardly believe I am discovering it only now, as it was linked in another thread. My biggest issues were mentioned in the beginning, with irregardless and overexaggerate.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
the neologism "totes" has been getting on my nerves lately, thanks to my brothers, who are in their young 20's... The word is "totally", it's not hard to say. :mad: