Work screw ups...

STAG

On my grind
What are the masts attached to the blades?
Yep GPS.

The newest edition of equipment has sensors (rotary encoders) built into all the joints/pins that know their position of rotation at all times, that coupled with a whole lot of trigonometry of the machine’s functions, allows the new equipment to be mastless.

Our dozer and excavator in Hawaii were both mastless.

The computing speed of the brain box for the machine control has gotta be insanely fast. It’s gotta talk to the satellites, know the position of the bucket or blade all while on a constantly moving and dealing with elevation changes.

But, all that put together easily makes me 3X faster than doing it manually/visually.

Also means you arent ever waiting around for the surveyor to come to the jobsite and tell you the location or elevation of a planned feature, because you already have the 3D model on your screen.

Last edited:

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Just got these sent to me. This is the company I worked for back in Hawaii. I don’t recognize that driver and at a company that’s only 10 people big I would have known him, so he’s been there for sure less than 6 months. Other than that I don’t have any details.

View attachment 160002
View attachment 160003

I guess he found a new job already

The_Lobbster

I made the cut to post something I did in here.

Had a bad compressor on a rooftop AC. I looked through the catalog, found a comparable replacement, and ordered it up. Installed it, charged the system, went to start up, and realized I ordered a 460v instead of a 208/230. Really screwed my day,

$2,800 down the drain….

IMG_8019.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Another railroad work screwup....

The owner of this truck derailed it earlier this week, when he ran through a track switch that was lined against him. Rather than actually inspect the truck for damage, he loaned it out to another coworker to assist me getting to a piece of equipment that we had to hyrail into.

Right off the bat, we noticed it was making some bad sounds. This is what we found, we proceeded to the very next crossing to set the truck off the track and make a new plan, as this truck should have been taken out of service.

The spindle for the hyrail had been bent downward, causing the hyrail wheel to eventually fall off the top of the rail, while we were traveling.

20230818_090900.jpg
20230818_090904.jpg

Greg

Admin
What’s up with the wire wheel cup?

Good question...

RR tracks have a very low amperage current running thru the rails, as part of the signal system. Hyrail trucks use insulated wheels, so they're not always activating that circuit.

The wire cup is part of a shunt that can be switched on and off, from in the cab... so the driver can choose weather road crossing gates will activate as they get close to crossings, or not. The wire cup is making constant contact with the hyrail wheel, ensuring good contact.

The_Lobbster

Good question...

RR tracks have a very low amperage current running thru the rails, as part of the signal system. Hyrail trucks use insulated wheels, so they're not always activating that circuit.

The wire cup is part of a shunt that can be switched on and off, from in the cab... so the driver can choose weather road crossing gates will activate as they get close to crossings, or not. The wire cup is making constant contact with the hyrail wheel, ensuring good contact.
I’ve heard from a reputable source (Hollywood) that putting a conductor across both tracks can screw up that signal.

That true?

Greg

Admin
I’ve heard from a reputable source (Hollywood) that putting a conductor across both tracks can screw up that signal.

That true?

I can neither confirm nor deny these rumors, but I do know that would be considered tampering with a critical infrastructure safety device and if a person were caught, they could end up in federal prison. It's happened before.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Another railroad work screwup....

The owner of this truck derailed it earlier this week, when he ran through a track switch that was lined against him. Rather than actually inspect the truck for damage, he loaned it out to another coworker to assist me getting to a piece of equipment that we had to hyrail into.

Right off the bat, we noticed it was making some bad sounds. This is what we found, we proceeded to the very next crossing to set the truck off the track and make a new plan, as this truck should have been taken out of service.

The spindle for the hyrail had been bent downward, causing the hyrail wheel to eventually fall off the top of the rail, while we were traveling.

View attachment 163021
View attachment 163022
Gotta love competent co-workers watching out for you...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Some idiot was using the weed burner instead of pulling weeds by hand and lit a pile of wood by the fence on fire. Naturally he didn't realize it was on fire until he was in the other side of the yard burning another area. It was the crackling that tipped him off.

PXL_20230908_003445380.MP.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Some idiot was using the weed burner instead of pulling weeds by hand and lit a pile of wood by the fence on fire. Naturally he didn't realize it was on fire until he was in the other side of the yard burning another area. It was the crackling that tipped him off.

View attachment 163703
Wait. This idiot… is he on RME4x4.com? 😂

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

View attachment 163703
I don't know how he lit it on fire in the middle of that big old puddle of water. Weird.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Wait. This idiot… is he on RME4x4.com? 😂
Allegedly.

Supposedly his wife opened the window right after the flames got doused but things were still smoking and said "did you light the fence on fire". Apparently the last thing he texted her previous to this interaction was "I can't find my weed burner." Perhaps it should have stayed unfound.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Some dumbass just emailed almost my entire company at work (5000ish employees) about a technology update, and managed to typo the fing NAME OF THE COMPANY in the same line that this moron said "...training manual and info info can be found here:"

Stupid idiot probably had a screwed up shoulder causing a distracting amount of pain at the time, or at least that's the excuse this moron will be trying to convince himself of....

Nothing derailed or on fie, but still... what a tool.