2016 Rhino Rally

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
That was quite the experience... I haven't yet determined if I should call it good or bad yet.

I thought I'd share my general report on it.

Going down, I knew I had a sputter in the top end, but couldn't get it figured out.
The flag dropped, and I felt like I took off like a jet. I felt I was very quick off the line, but it was very short lived, as my bike simply couldn't put the power out and to the ground. I ended up towards the back of the pack.
The dust was incredible! I hit 2 or 3 washes because I couldn't see them, but narrowly missed many more. Around the 3 mile mark, I cut around someone on a rocky ledge, and caught my GoPro on a tree and ripped it off. It's now lost forever.
At about 6 miles, I completely lost all the fluid in my rear brake, so it was completely dead. Some where about then I also got a rear flat tire. I have a pretty hard tire carcass, so I continued on.
At about 9 or 10 miles the sandy, rutted whoops finally let up for a minute.
There was rocky steep climb next. It were littered with 20 or so people that were struggling. It was a lot of fun to be able to walk right up it without much trouble.
As we were in the large rocky ups and downs, I became quickly obvious that a front brake only is not a sufficient was to go down hill. I would lean waaaay back and mash on the front brake. Sometimes it would not be enough, and I would just point and hope for the best. Other times it slowed me down, but would then over heat, and lose it ability to stop. Again it became point and hope for the best. About mile 27 ish we started onto soft dirt hill climbs, and hit super soft sand after the gas check at mile 30. My bike was not up for the challenge of the sand because of the sputter. It took all I could give to get up one of them. At the top, I ripped my helmet off because the puke was coming! I sat at the top for about 20 minutes trying to decide wether to puke or pass out. Directly in front of me was an additional hill, and I watch as one ofter another whiped out, wheelied over, or even whisky throttle off the edge. I knew if I went any farther I would end up needing rescue. I didn't have the physical ability to finish. I was done.
I headed back to the nearest road crossing and back to the pits.
I figure even if I had been able to continue, I had at least 2 hours to go. I saw about 20 people still behind me when I turned around, but I was near the back of the pack for sure. To make everything worse, my second camera failed to save the video file when the battery died, so I have no photo or video of any of the race.

I think I claim about 50% of the DNF on my lack of physical ability, and about 50% on bike failure and the energy I spent trying to ride it in its poor state.

Some things I have learned:
-My super awesome suspension that I LOVE for slow rocky, Moab style riding is NOT sufficient for higher speed racing. I was bouncing and bottoming out the entire time.
-being able to pas so many people on the technical challenges shows me that I have the skill to ride, but am seriously lacking in the stamina part (but then again, my wife ha said that for years!)
-I am not good at all in rutted sandy whoops... Which made up a huge portion of the race.
-The way I usually ride involves many many stops. I need to change that so that it will build endurance.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
That was quite the experience... I haven't yet determined if I should call it good or bad yet.

I thought I'd share my general report on it.

Going down, I knew I had a sputter in the top end, but couldn't get it figured out.
The flag dropped, and I felt like I took off like a jet. I felt I was very quick off the line, but it was very short lived, as my bike simply couldn't put the power out and to the ground. I ended up towards the back of the pack.
The dust was incredible! I hit 2 or 3 washes because I couldn't see them, but narrowly missed many more. Around the 3 mile mark, I cut around someone on a rocky ledge, and caught my GoPro on a tree and ripped it off. It's now lost forever.
At about 6 miles, I completely lost all the fluid in my rear brake, so it was completely dead. Some where about then I also got a rear flat tire. I have a pretty hard tire carcass, so I continued on.
At about 9 or 10 miles the sandy, rutted whoops finally let up for a minute.
There was rocky steep climb next. It were littered with 20 or so people that were struggling. It was a lot of fun to be able to walk right up it without much trouble.
As we were in the large rocky ups and downs, I became quickly obvious that a front brake only is not a sufficient was to go down hill. I would lean waaaay back and mash on the front brake. Sometimes it would not be enough, and I would just point and hope for the best. Other times it slowed me down, but would then over heat, and lose it ability to stop. Again it became point and hope for the best. About mile 27 ish we started onto soft dirt hill climbs, and hit super soft sand after the gas check at mile 30. My bike was not up for the challenge of the sand because of the sputter. It took all I could give to get up one of them. At the top, I ripped my helmet off because the puke was coming! I sat at the top for about 20 minutes trying to decide wether to puke or pass out. Directly in front of me was an additional hill, and I watch as one ofter another whiped out, wheelied over, or even whisky throttle off the edge. I knew if I went any farther I would end up needing rescue. I didn't have the physical ability to finish. I was done.
I headed back to the nearest road crossing and back to the pits.
I figure even if I had been able to continue, I had at least 2 hours to go. I saw about 20 people still behind me when I turned around, but I was near the back of the pack for sure. To make everything worse, my second camera failed to save the video file when the battery died, so I have no photo or video of any of the race.

I think I claim about 50% of the DNF on my lack of physical ability, and about 50% on bike failure and the energy I spent trying to ride it in its poor state.

Some things I have learned:
-My super awesome suspension that I LOVE for slow rocky, Moab style riding is NOT sufficient for higher speed racing. I was bouncing and bottoming out the entire time.
-being able to pas so many people on the technical challenges shows me that I have the skill to ride, but am seriously lacking in the stamina part (but then again, my wife ha said that for years!)
-I am not good at all in rutted sandy whoops... Which made up a huge portion of the race.
-The way I usually ride involves many many stops. I need to change that so that it will build endurance.

You are now beginning to understand the sick addiction we have. Contact somebody from the club. If you can tell them where you lost your GoPro, they may be able to find it while they are cleaning up the course.

ricsrx

After the rocky hills Hunter's drive was gone so he costed in, that was though for his mom to stand at the finish for an extra 45 min watching everyone else come in......

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Me and Tyson both got great starts, side by side to the first corner. All that practicing with he and I really paid off. I was scooting pretty good until a road section around mile 30 ish where a pie plater in a t-shirt decided to crash into me from behind and we both went down at about 55mph (middle of 5th gear). We both hopped up and got the heck out of there since a dusty road ain't no place to chill, but it slowed me down a lot and it blew up my camelback. (I'm not mad because I'm sure he didn't mean to crash into me, but I was a bad place to try to pass and was pretty wreckless and foolish). I sure hope he was alright because we both slid for a long time and my pads are pretty scrapped up. I'm know God was protecting us both because that really could have been a serious accident. It was like an out of the blue, no warning crash. One minute I'm screaming along a dirt road and the next second by bars went full lock and I knew I was going to take a dirt nap. Pretty sure I steered it into a low side because when I got up my bike was probably 20 yards past me down the road.

After that hard wreck my head wasn't quite in it: and I got tired out on a few of those sandy hill climbs and without water I had to stop a few times and I was sucking wind for a minute or two. Jon caught up to me while I was stopped at the bottom of a hill climb and saved me with a few pulls from his camel back and brought me back to life. I cruised to the next checkpoint took a breather and bummed a drink off a volunteer and wallowed through the backbreakers (those sand whoops) to the finish. Glad I got a finish. I have a huge goose egg on my noggin and probably a slight concussion. But I did have a lot of fun! And I'll be back at the next race to kick some butt!

Tonkaman

Dang!! How in the hell can you get a goose egg though a helmet? I'm glad your ok!

Maybe the more important question is how did a pie plate sporting, t-shirt wearing honkey get the pass on you?

Cascadia

Undecided
Like Stratton said we both had good starts. Harrison (Russ' boy) helped me with my starts some the day before. I got the timing and kick down. I usually either bog or wheelie out on starts. Being able to see on the bomb was so different and more comfortable. A few miles in I tried swinging out of the dust just through unmarked desert. It was going good until I came to a huge wash. No joke, it had 20' tall walls and was about 40' across. I slammed on the brakes and looked for a way down. Nothing. I had to back track a bit to find somewhere I could drop off. Finally found a spot but I think I lost probably 20-25 spots. The pack is still tight at 5 miles so my good start was reduced to a 5 kick start. Bummer. I worked my way back up some. My tires felt squirly the day before but I thought it was me getting mental before a race. Turns out it was my tires and not me. Both bibs were done! Both tires felt flat the whole race. It wasn't fun on the hard pack and felt fine in the sand. But it was sketchy on my normal high speed areas. At about 20 miles I went outside the dust again to make some passes. I succeeded in doing so. But I came on another wash. This one only about 5' wide and 3' deep. I was in the wrong gear. I tried bunny hopping it and cased hard at probably 40 mph. My bike didn't run right the rest of the day. Pulled in the pits and got refueled. My bike took a few kicks compared to the normal 1 kick. I headed back out feeling good after a 30 second break. That lasted about 10 miles or so. The second loop was higher speed which wasn't so high speed with my tires. Every corner I came into, whether in a wash or a road, my bike would try and die and I would constantly have to blip the throttle. The second loop had a lot of familiar terrain so I knew where I was. When I saw the trailers I gave it a little push passing 4 more amateurs. I came through the checkered flags and my bike died and wouldn't restart so I pushed it to mototally and had my finish. I tried restarting it to get to the truck. No dice. At home I replaced the filter and plug. Still no dice. Noticed my pipe is kinked where it meets the silencer. I can only think from that case I had. It broke the pipe mount off, bent the carb, and melted 3 carb drainage lines. I hope it's nothing big. I told my wife I was done racing after that one. It was the hardest race I've done. Then results came out and I got 3rd over 30 amateur and 19th overall amateur, so I'm happy and I'll be back out there!

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I can't really explain it, but riding style can make up for fitness a lot. 2 years ago when I was consistently finishing in the top 10 overall, I was doing it through good starts and not using all my energy up since I am far from being in the condition that the younger kids I was beating. If you are not fighting the bike and are able to stay pretty "still" you will be faster and use less energy. I wish I could explain how you do this but it is different with everybody. For me personally, I ride standing up as much as possible. It allows the bike to move underneath me and if it gets kicked in an odd way, it is not taking my body weight with it and my body can actually act as a counterwieght. It takes a lot of leg strength and stamina to ride like this, so a lot of people can't do it. Bike set up can affect energy use greatly also, but again, that is a very personal thing to how your riding style is. I have had people ask me to help them set bikes up like mine and my response is always that my set up probably won't work for you.

Nothing beats seat time in improving your skill and figuring out how to use less energy when riding. Just being relaxed makes a huge difference.

Cascadia

Undecided
I know I sit too much. I try to stand up a lot but I've only been riding for less than 4 years total so I'm still trying to figure it out. My main reason for sitting is my hands fall asleep because of my carpel tunnel. I'm trying to find a happy medium and figure out how I can keep my hands awake and stand up. Flexx bars helped some, stabilizer helped more. Then I just got flexx pegs. My legs are less tired from those. Suspension is a huge factor for me. With Jesse's new valving I feel like I'm fighting the bike less in the front. He hasn't done the rear yet and that's where I feel I'm losing energy and fighting the bike. Not that I'm awesome but I can push my bike harder than my notch peak suspension was setup for so when I get the dirt lab to do the rear I think I will waste less energy fighting the bike.

rholbrook

Well..For Harrison and I the Rhino Rally is over and in the books. My barely 15 year old beat me. I didn't let him either. He has been getting faster and faster every time we go out and he has gotten really good in the technical stuff. We were both on the second row on the start but got in the middle pretty good. I thought I was ahead of him a little so I wasn't pushing it too hard because I was a little worried that this being his first BIG BIKE race and being 15 for only 2 weeks I was being a little protective. I never saw him until around mile 15 when he was off the side sitting on his bike with his helmet off. I pulled up and before I could say anything he said he crashed hard into the rocks and he hurt his shoulder. His jersey was all ripped up and you could see a crack on his shoulder pad. I asked if he thinks he broke anything and he said no so I told him to put his helmet on and get his ass going unless he needed his mom to kiss him better. He couldn't get his bike started I told him to get off so I could get it going. He was in 3rd or 4th so it wouldn't get turning fast enough. I got it fired and gave it back to him and he took off and I after him. I pretty much stayed with him and then we went through the wash and up the little hill before the first bike black rock hill that was killing a lot of riders. Harrison and I both flew up that one and actually that whole next technical section is where the two of us shine. The ass kicker for me was the last section of big sandy whoops. For some reason the killed me. I was tired though and my forearms were burning pretty good.

So Harrison placed 146th overall, 5th in his 125 novice class and 22nd overall with the novices(106 novices). His time was 2 hrs 50 min 26 seconds
I placed 155th overall, 2nd in my 50 and over novice class and 29th overall with the novices. My time was 2 hrs 54 min and 02 seconds

I'm proud of Harrison's performance. I think with some more time racing he will get to where he will really compete and considering that he just moved up to the big bikes and this is really only his second ever race. He raced Firebird two years ago on his CRF150RB. I think had he gotten back up quickly he could have placed but thats racing for you. He's excited for the next race, me, not so much. This fat boy has to lay off the cake so I can compete more.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Well..For Harrison and I the Rhino Rally is over and in the books. My barely 15 year old beat me. I didn't let him either. He has been getting faster and faster every time we go out and he has gotten really good in the technical stuff. We were both on the second row on the start but got in the middle pretty good. I thought I was ahead of him a little so I wasn't pushing it too hard because I was a little worried that this being his first BIG BIKE race and being 15 for only 2 weeks I was being a little protective. I never saw him until around mile 15 when he was off the side sitting on his bike with his helmet off. I pulled up and before I could say anything he said he crashed hard into the rocks and he hurt his shoulder. His jersey was all ripped up and you could see a crack on his shoulder pad. I asked if he thinks he broke anything and he said no so I told him to put his helmet on and get his ass going unless he needed his mom to kiss him better. He couldn't get his bike started I told him to get off so I could get it going. He was in 3rd or 4th so it wouldn't get turning fast enough. I got it fired and gave it back to him and he took off and I after him. I pretty much stayed with him and then we went through the wash and up the little hill before the first bike black rock hill that was killing a lot of riders. Harrison and I both flew up that one and actually that whole next technical section is where the two of us shine. The ass kicker for me was the last section of big sandy whoops. For some reason the killed me. I was tired though and my forearms were burning pretty good.

So Harrison placed 146th overall, 5th in his 125 novice class and 22nd overall with the novices(106 novices). His time was 2 hrs 50 min 26 seconds
I placed 155th overall, 2nd in my 50 and over novice class and 29th overall with the novices. My time was 2 hrs 54 min and 02 seconds

I'm proud of Harrison's performance. I think with some more time racing he will get to where he will really compete and considering that he just moved up to the big bikes and this is really only his second ever race. He raced Firebird two years ago on his CRF150RB. I think had he gotten back up quickly he could have placed but thats racing for you. He's excited for the next race, me, not so much. This fat boy has to lay off the cake so I can compete more.

This is awesome. I love seeing new people and families coming into the sport. Racing shaped who I am and while my dad never rode bikes or had a passion for them, but he put everything into supporting me like he did. I had so much for the first 2 years of Jack racing and when his sister decided to start racing 2 years ago, it made it that much funner. I keep telling them that I am spending their inheritance on them right now, but it is much more fun that way.

ricsrx

I asked if he thinks he broke anything and he said no so I told him to put his helmet on and get his ass going unless he needed his mom to kiss him better. He couldn't get his bike started I told him to get off so I could get it going.

I know this is what Hunter needed, i wish i would have been there to push him on.... he had an amazing hole shot off the line, it was disheartening to see him coast in

ricsrx

12804787_10208195236454258_8296949067953823895_n.jpg

Tonkaman

Wow these are great stories of the race. Man I wish I could have been there! Sounds like a wicked ride though so maybe I'm glad I had a good excuse.

ricsrx

-PAXP-deijE.gif
[video]https://www.facebook.com/rick.gardner.948/videos/10207351410215745/[/video]

Last edited: