Toyota '85 Yota build...FINALLY

Coco

Well I thought about that too, just my bed is bobbed, so it would look really funky until i did a tube bed. I might be interested in those springs. Do they move the axle forward at all? The RUFs will move the axle 2" forward, I could always make a custom pack ;)

SchrammMan74

well at the time when I installed them I moved the axle forward anyways so i wouldn't know. but I can messure them for you. I took 2 leafs out of them when i installed them to get it lower. they flexed great. this is with the allpro springs and some leafs in the rear for a s10 blazer i had laying around. not really the greatest picture but you get the idea
springs.jpg

Last edited:

SchrammMan74

63" chevy springs suck... I had way too much axle wrap to keep mine.[/QUOTE

true that is why i went to links
but you can build a cheap easy antiwrap bar for that. and that should eliminate most if all of it.
just saw some of your pictures and i see what you mean about the rear not flexing. looks like your front likes to move though. why not link it in the rear?

Last edited:

Coco

I have pondered going to a rear 4 link, but with me keeping it street legal, I didn't wanna get the fuzz on me, or draw too much attention to myself haha.

SchrammMan74

I never got any trouble for my 4 link it was fine on the road to. I could take it on the freeway with out any worries. Now with the 3 link up front i am thinking i need a swaybar. but It is still registered.. another thing to consider is with a 4 link you are going to have to move your gas tank..

Last edited:

Coco

Ya I got a rear housing that has all the mounts, but I just can't afford to 4 link it right now. Coil overs, tubing for the links, johnny joints, all that. I just am on a budget, so I think I'll have to wait on a 4 link.

zukijames

Just buy used coil overs or air shocks or even just springs and shocks and ruffstuff has cheap hiems.. Those 4 inch allpros won't flex as good under your truck as they did his I say ruf and 4 link with junk yard coils :)

SchrammMan74

My rear is just some stock coils out of a jeep. as for the 4" springs you should flex fine. the springs were designed for your truck.. but i think that if you pulled a couple leafs out of yours they would flex even more than they do now, 5" is way to tall for these trucks it think. you would want to fab up some bumps stops for them if you don't have then now..

Coco

Theres just no way I can afford a 4 link right now :( wish I could, but I cant. :-\

These 5" springs dont sit too high, they just dont flex worth a damn. Thats why in the front I am thinking a custom RUF pack of some type, and not sure in the rear yet. Maybe just remove more leaves?! Ill have to see how it does after the rear shackles and everything are fixed tho, before I will know. I am still trying to keep it low with big tires, and wide, but still be able to flex and crawl like crazy :)

Alright so yesterday it so damn cold, I didnt feel like pulling the truck in to do the sliders. So I grooved my the one tire that didnt match instead! (helps the groover produces a LOT of heat, and kept me warm :D)

fa2084f5.jpg

Half way done
9e96f728.jpg

All finished :)

And here is the reason I am still looking for one more of these :(
809760c3.jpg

So tonight I pulled the truck in, and got to work on the sliders. I got the old sliders off, and got to work. It wasnt too bad, I just work REALLY slow!! :rolleyes: Feels good to know I did it tho. I HATE WELDING UPSIDE DOWN!!! That is the WORST!! :mad: Burned myself a couple times, but oh well.

old POS "sliders" off
16e5a86c.jpg

mock up
fe7b113c.jpg

mounts tacked up into place
f68a5855.jpg

Where there sitting now letting paint dry
9832af6b.jpg

I really wanted toget them completely done and on my truck tonight, but that is when you start to rush. So they will be going on tomorrow after work. Then I gotta see what else I can do

Coco

Alright, time for an update!! As I am still trying to decide what to do on the rear of my truck, I decided today would be a good day to do my RUFs.

I went over to Steve's, and got started. Was a little cold working in the driveway with the wind blowing on you, but no big deal :greg:

Here is how it sat before the RUFs with a wheelbase of if I remember correctly, 114:
8242af44.jpg

tear down:
51718c09.jpg

Started building my pack. I decided to go with 3 out of the 4 leaves on the rear pack, then add 2 of the smaller leaves from the trail gear 5"ers it had on it.
d3b1421e.jpg

Installed on the right side. I believed with them installed, the axle moved about 2" forward.
fdc6c257.jpg

I will get more pics of it tomorrow. I finished it up in the dark, and couldnt get any descent pics. Still need to move the steering box forward, and install my upper shock mounts, and paint everything, but now I can atleast get to wonderful work monday morning. I cant wait to see what this will look like sitting on my 38s!!!

More pics and current wheelbase measurements and such coming tomorrow :D

Coco

Thanks man! I forgot to get more pics, and my current wheelbase, the game started, and I forgot all about it. Tomorrow for sure. Tomorrow I am planning on moving the steering box tomorrow, and putting the shock hoops in. We'll see if it get all done tho haha. ;)