'96 Runner Build

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Got a little more done this weekend.

Finished the IFS out. Then ground it down clean!!

20130420120657.jpg

20130420120744.jpg

20130420164816.jpg

20130420164744.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
The good welder was tied up on a business related project so I couldn't pull it away. So we started tearing down the rear end.

20130420164759.jpg

My dad was itching to get the 3rd out to see what kind of damage we did in Moab.

20130420174133.jpg

20130420174917.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with it! :lol:

20130420174141.jpg

We considered ourselves lucky, the locker seems to be A-OKAY :cheers:

Once it was out we cut all the suspension crap off and ground it clean.

20130420220301.jpg

20130420220316.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
No change :( I've been working on odds and ends but nothing on the rig itself. Like I said it sucks it being 2 hours away. Work had been busy and I haven't made it up to Brigham City. I am planning a wrenching party for the next time that I know I will be up there. June 14th. I'm hoping to get up there before then but just depends on work.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Had a chance to work on my Mistress this past weekend. Like usual I didn't get near what I wanted done. It is hard to get much accomplished running solo. So basically I got the Oil pan swapped, which took a lot longer than I though it would. I got the frame plates welded in and the IFS box mounted. I picked up a steering box from iamsparticus. I pulled the fuel tank, I really wasn't feeling welding right next to it! I also cut my exhaust out. cut it out at the CAT. now I need to decide whether to keep the CAT or not. It is way old and I'm sure its plugged (it has a little oil leaking out of it) so I think I will pull it. I just need to figure out how to trick the O2 sensors. It is registered in Box Elder County so I don't need to worry about emissions.

Next on the list is building spring mounts and getting my brother to finish setting up the axles. I've got some pretty cool plans for the rear suspension that you can look forward too!!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
SO I need some advise!!

I have my Toyota rear end with an elocker and 5.29 gears. I also have a Dana 44 rear end that matches my front end with a Lock-right locker and I would have to buy 5.38 gears to match.

From my understanding the strength of the 2 axle are very similar. Advantage of the Toyota axle is the Elocker and I already have the gears. The advantage of the Dana is that I can match gears.

From what I've read on pirate and other sources is that the mismatch gear ratio is commonly used in the same setup that I have and causes no problems.

Whats everyone opinions. Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the Toyota but some advise would be useful.

Kevin, your opinions will be judge based on your desire to buy my Toyota axle!!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
So got a Little done this weekend! Not a long list but didn't work a real long time on it. Basically I got my Toyota 3rd member torn apart. I think I will stick with it just based on the fact that I have all the stuff to do it. When I pull it apart thou I found one of the adjuster nuts is shot. Effing dealership item. I think I will order one online and save a little cash. Other than that Brady spent some time cleaning my front end with a wire wheel. Didn't get any pics of it but it looks good. I spent my time getting my front spring holder built and mounted. started mounting the front springs then decided I need shorter springs. The ones I have (the ugly red ones) put the back end damn near under the tranny cross member. If any one has a set of 50" springs let me know. Did a little fender trimming and a lot of measuring. I think there will be a lot more fender trimming in the future. I didn't get many pics but will post what I have a little later.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Here are a few pics of what I Brady and I did Saturday.

This is the adjuster nut that is shot. I'm having a hard time finding it online. I might have to go to Brent Brown and at least find the part number. I guess I could call Kurt.

9me6.jpg

v3gs.jpg

Got the spring hanger built and mounted!

er7z.jpg

2eoy.jpg

A little trimming

s94q.jpg

7lpe.jpg