'96 Runner Build

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Okay so quick question.

My dad has a pretty good relationship with the guys at EVCO so I'm going to have some brake lines made and a high pressure power steering hose made. Any ideas on what ends I will need going from my Toyota 3.4 power steering pump to the '85 IFS box? Also the ends going from the Toyota 3.4 brake system to the Dana 44 calipers? I believe both the calipers and the stock brake system use Banjo Bolts but I heard you can convert from this. Any thought or info on this would be great!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Had some time to tinker a bit on the bumper.

zfbf.jpg

iz9d.jpg

rjtw.jpg

njbg.jpg

s6p6.jpg

I also painted my grill.

i14g.jpg

4j4v.jpg

xik6.jpg

y3ob.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looks great :cool: I put the same axle in the front of the Rot Box. Have you decided on a rear yet? With 5:38's in the front and 5.29's in the rear my drivetrain binds up pretty good. Most of the time it's not bad but on slick rock I didn't care for it at all. I went with a twin stick when low range is still needed but 4wd isn't and that made a dramatic improvement. I lost the ability to use 4wd on snow days (city driving). Because of the bind I am not able to take it out of 4wd on the fly. It requires a repetitive back and forth motion and even then it needs some finesse. Overall it works I guess but agh... well... it works I guess :D

Looking forward to more

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yes! You tell him, Rot Box. Tell him how much he doesn't want that nasty Toyota axle in back there. I've been telling him how much he'll hate it but he won't listen to me.

He should just dump it in the parts pile on the side of the garage there. I'm sure somebody might find a use for it... :guilty:

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Yes! You tell him, Rot Box. Tell him how much he doesn't want that nasty Toyota axle in back there. I've been telling him how much he'll hate it but he won't listen to me.

He should just dump it in the parts pile on the side of the garage there. I'm sure somebody might find a use for it... :guilty:

Alright Kevin. I will make you a deal. You buy me a locker, dana 44 5.38 gears and a master install kit and the toyota rear is your. But it can't be just any locker it has to be a carrier type!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
So here she is!

The weekend actually started pretty slow, when I was supposed to leave Santaquin at 4:30 and my wife didn't get home from work until 5:30. After stopping for dinner and 3 or 4 bathroom breaks for the kids and pregnant wife, we arrived in Brigham at 8:30. got right to work finishing up the rear axle set up and bolting it back together.

znbd.jpg

hxw6.jpg

Once we got the axle bolted back together we attacked the suspension. After watching how my brothers rear suspension worked on his '83 pickup I decided that was the route I wanted to go.

ccyl.jpg

Thanks for the springs Kevins

5dli.jpg

Now most of the remaining pictures are what we refer to as "farmbrication"

e28h.jpg

ak7h.jpg

kyzj.jpg

bmto.jpg

xm5w.jpg

aef1.jpg

79fm.jpg

7aue.jpg

Got the springs all mounted up set it down on jack stands and felt we needed to add another leaf. So we pulled the bottom pack apart added a leaf and put it back together.

Once that was done with we reinstalled the fuel tank, rolled the axle under, lined it up, set the pinion where we wanted it and welded the perches solid.

The whole time stressing about the BYU game that was on the radio.

6:00 Saturday rolled around the family was itching to get on the road so I ended up with a 3 wheeler. We ended up 2 u-bolts short and couldn't put the passenger rear tire on.

i3e5.jpg

5vwy.jpg

FRAME HEIGHT 23 Inches!!!! Hopefully with a little settle to come!!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
crazy. i haven't seen anyone do that for a long time. I did that with my rear springs on my 85 toyota. i went to 63" long chevy springs on the rear and eliminated the buggy leaf. the buggy leaf was a bit unstable at highway speeds.

looking good though. what size tires are you going to end up with.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Right now I've got 35s. I don't plan on seeing a ton of Highway time! But I can't be much worse than my trip to Moab last year with no font or rear sway bars! If it is then we will modify.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i didn't have sway bars on my 85'. it was definitely floppy. It got a bit less floppy after the buggy leaf elimination.

I've learned to run good shocks now though. i used to run some cheap arse shocks (poor college student with two young kids budget). I use bilstiens now with a heavier dampening rate. i run my range rover without sway-bars and can barely notice a difference over having the sway bars.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I never really noticed not having sway bars until coming out of Spanish Fork Canyon into Price. But I think my socks were about toast.

Chevycrew, I will definitely do the rubber. Thanks for the idea!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
What do you guys think of the Ford F150 fuel tank where the spare tire goes mod?

Fuel tank mod

I have the fuel tank, and I have ran into the issue of my driveline hitting the fuel tank. If I do it it won't be for a while. I am just curious and might start collecting parts.

sixstringsteve

I like the f150 fuel tank mod. i vote to do it. Just make sure you get your sending unit hooked up correctly (obviously). The stock tank hangs down super low on a 4runner as it is.