A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Do you guys have a pull pal?

If so place that uphill of the truck. Then using two snatch blocks and three d rings.

Put one d ring and snatch block on the pull pal, run the winch rope from the truck extracting the vehicle to the pull pal and through the snatch block. Attach the other snatch block to the front of the stuck vehicle. Run the rope through that snatch block and then back up to the pull pal. Hook the winch cable onto the d ring on the pull pal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sixstringsteve

I think that's the ticket sawtooth. But if the runner rolls, it could take the recovery vehicle with it. Lots of great ideas here. There's about 200 feet of road ahead of the runner before its at the top of the last mine tailing where he can turn around. I think then only way to getnitnout without rolling is to pull it forward.

Rogerwh0

Old axle shafts make excellent post type anchors when sharpened a little. The flange makes them easy to hit and pound in. With a BIG hammer they will go into almost anything, especially if there is a solid rock type soil. I like to pound 2 in and tiem them together as an extremly sold anchor. Dont be afraid to run a strap over the top of the vehicle to help prevent rolling. A little cosmetic roof damage will be a small risk in this case. Wish I was closer I would love to help!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
if the runner rolls, it could take the recovery vehicle with it.

If you put the shackle on the drivers front corner, that'd put the mass of the truck below the the pivot point, would make it harder for it to roll. If you put the pullpall on the high side of the road in front, that'd help too. I still think a pullpall or two on the slope above the drivers side with comealongs to help pendelum the truck wouldn't hurt though.

Then maybe chain another vehicle or two behind the winching vehicle with straps to help anchor it?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
its a dangerous situation for sure.

I would love to help. unfortunately i still haven't gotten hired on with the company that wants to hire me down there or i'd be out there. i carry $150K worth of insurance on my rig, I work in the oil field and use my truck, so its required. I wouldn't be to sad if my Range Rover rolled down a mountain as long as there was someone to drive me home.

I think that's the ticket sawtooth. But if the runner rolls, it could take the recovery vehicle with it. Lots of great ideas here. There's about 200 feet of road ahead of the runner before its at the top of the last mine tailing where he can turn around. I think then only way to getnitnout without rolling is to pull it forward.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Depending on when the re-attempt is I might be able to make it. My winch is not functioning right now but I've got good recovery gear.

Bart

What is above the rig? I'm wondering if I could get my buggy above it? I couldn't get up there until Friday morning but I'd be willing to help then.

Sawtooth

Hagisch
Old axle shafts make excellent post type anchors when sharpened a little. The flange makes them easy to hit and pound in. With a BIG hammer they will go into almost anything, especially if there is a solid rock type soil. I like to pound 2 in and tiem them together as an extremly sold anchor. Dont be afraid to run a strap over the top of the vehicle to help prevent rolling. A little cosmetic roof damage will be a small risk in this case. Wish I was closer I would love to help!

I like the idea.2 shafts pounded securely,place a portable winch behind them and secure it.bring some batteries for power,if it will hold you have a front recovery point.I would love to help if needed.Good Luck!

sixstringsteve

Here are some more pictures to paint the situation.

IMG_4548.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4556.JPG

I wish we could have taken better pics.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a large spike that we pound into the beach to anchor our boat, it might make a good tie point. I even have an axle shaft or two laying around.

sixstringsteve

We put the pullpal uphill on the left. It wasn't 100% undergound, it's extremely rocky up there. But it held enough to compress the suspension on the driver's side of the runner. That was hooked to the winch.

Then we used the come-alone to inch the truck backwards. We inched it back one inch, then the second inch, the ground gave way under the tires and it slid another 8" downhill. At that point we reassessed the situation and realized that this was our last attempt to unhook from it before we were tied to it and 100% committed (with the possibility of having 2+ stuck rigs up there.)

Andrew, I totally forgot to hook my truck to your rear bumper, sorry about that. I think if all 3 of us were hooked together, your truck would resist the urge to be dragged downhill if something got nasty.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
wish I was closer and had free time.

the ONE thing the Scout is good for is dead weight recovery. 7000 lbs and a 15,000 winch gets a lot of work done. This sounds nasty.

Good luck to all but remember....its just a rig. Dont risk yourselfs to save it

sixstringsteve

What is above the rig? I'm wondering if I could get my buggy above it? I couldn't get up there until Friday morning but I'd be willing to help then.

if anyone could get above it, you could. It's just a really loose, steep mine tailings pile you'll have to climb straight up. I think you might be able to drive around him to the left, if you took it about 30' to the left of the runner. It'd be awfully side-tippy though.

sixstringsteve

Has the vehicle's position changed? I'd let air out of the two topside tires, as well.

Edit: I see the pics now. Definitely let the air out of those d-side tires.

Good idea. We took it down to about 5 psi. I think we still want to go lower. Even if we blew a bead, that'd help keep it less tippy.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm free for manual labor tonight or Friday night (I get to work on Friday, yay...). No winch, but I've been involved in a number of dicy recoveries and am always happy to lend a hand.