A Plea For HELP! To Anyone Within A Reasonable Distance Of American Fork Canyon

sixstringsteve

if anyone is in the area, it couldn't hurt to have some more pictures in daylight. Pictures from the front, uphill, all around.

sixstringsteve

is there a device like a remote-disconnecting shackle if things get dicey? Like you cut your losses and keep everyone from sliding down the hill with the load?

Bart

if anyone could get above it, you could. It's just a really loose, steep mine tailings pile you'll have to climb straight up. I think you might be able to drive around him to the left, if you took it about 30' to the left of the runner. It'd be awfully side-tippy though.

If I couldn't get by to the left I could point straight up hill and crab walk across. From the pics it looks doable. I think we need a group up there. Is Friday going to work and can it wait that long?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looks really bad. Best of luck everyone I wish I wasn't so far away I feel useless.

How close is the nearest tree or large rock? Is hauling up a spool of cable out of the question?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have to work on friday but anytime before then Im open, The JK is a pretty heavy pig with a winch. To bad the YJ buggy is down

LT.

I am two states away so, i may not know what i am talking about but, would it be more safe to get the vehicle pointed straight uphill? Maybe something like a rear dig to get the rear end to slide down hill? Then nobody is dealing with a rig that wants to roll over down the hill. With the vehicle pointing either straight down hill or up hill then the tires are going to roll straight.

At any rate, good luck.

LT.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I am two states away so, i may not know what i am talking about but, would it be more safe to get the vehicle pointed straight uphill? Maybe something like a rear dig to get the rear end to slide down hill? Then nobody is dealing with a rig that wants to roll over down the hill. With the vehicle pointing either straight down hill or up hill then the tires are going to roll straight.

At any rate, good luck.

LT.

I was thinking about this also but it looks like it might be easier to try to anchor the driver rear corner and rotate the front end down hill. Then with an anchor and snatch block you could winch him straight backwards up the hill.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was thinking about this also but it looks like it might be easier to try to anchor the driver rear corner and rotate the front end down hill. Then with an anchor and snatch block you could winch him straight backwards up the hill.

That'd probably be the approach I would try to take (tough to tell unless you're up there). Turn the front tires full driver and try to pull the rig back up the hill from the rear as much as possible. I don't think I'd manipulate the air pressure in the tires as I'd want them to roll on the loose stuff as much as they could rather push material down the hill. Gravity will win. Hopefully you can use it to help with the recovery rather than having to fight it? The pulling vehicle/winch I'd want secured with at least another couple vehicles and I'd prefer it secured to some kind of stationary anchor. Wouldn't hurt to have two winches pulling against the rear but I'm not sure that's possible.

Once you get the rig back up on the road, then you can try to reorient it to be able to drive it out. I HATE roads like the one pictured. I stay away from them at all costs.

That thing looks like it's in a pretty tough spot to recover from.

(the opinions expressed are just that....opinions.... no guarantee that my ideas would work---best of luck to those who try to recover)

Last edited:

rholbrook

We had a similar situation a few years ago in the spring (snow) between Farmington and Bountiful. A guy did the same thing and it was sketchy as hell too.

I brought up a couple of 2x10's and some axles and pounded them in on the low side to act like a brace so it wouldnt slide. It created a board berm so to speak. We angled it uphilll back on the road. The boards served as a guide and the axles served as the anchor to hold the boards in place. We used 10 footers and i think we used 3 or for shafts per board. We pounded the shafts in so it was just below the body line that way the board would lie on its side giving us 10 inches of a solid point to keep it from sliding. From there you could manually winch it up. I do like the idea of more axles on the uphill side to keep it from rolling but the boards and axles will keep it from sliding any more.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The last time I had to get someone out in a similar position I used a high lift jack on the downhill end of the bumper with the jack purposely at an up hill angle. Once the jack got the rig up high enough to where the wheels could slide the jack tipped over pushing the rig uphill. We alternated the jack from front to back and repeated the process until the rig was back on the road. That rig wasn't on as steep of a hill and the only way I would try it on this one would be to use a winch pulling the axle up hill with an anchor point and a snatch block.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Steve,

I have a second pull pal, a 4' steel spike, and 5 or 6 10k rated ratchet straps available.
Snatch block, shackles, hi-lift, etc... (I've still got the winch, but it's sitting in the garage at the moment)
You could use the anchors and straps over the top of the vehicle to prevent a roll.
Also let me know if you are going up again, I'd gladly lend a hand.

-Eric

Last edited:

Bart

We had a similar situation a few years ago in the spring (snow) between Farmington and Bountiful. A guy did the same thing and it was sketchy as hell too.

I brought up a couple of 2x10's and some axles and pounded them in on the low side to act like a brace so it wouldnt slide. It created a board berm so to speak. We angled it uphilll back on the road. The boards served as a guide and the axles served as the anchor to hold the boards in place. We used 10 footers and i think we used 3 or for shafts per board. We pounded the shafts in so it was just below the body line that way the board would lie on its side giving us 10 inches of a solid point to keep it from sliding. From there you could manually winch it up. I do like the idea of more axles on the uphill side to keep it from rolling but the boards and axles will keep it from sliding any more.

This sounds like a good idea. I have a couple of 2 x 10s, but someone would need to haul them up there as they are too long for my rig.

sixstringsteve

I may have time Friday also. My tundra is pretty heavy and could be used for something. Probably just an anchor, but a heavy one.

No offense, but I don't think your tundra would make it up there. Andrew's tundra made it, but I don't think he'd want to drive it up there again.