All things camp trailer..

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Catherine and I were able to take a little vacation trip after all, 4 hrs away from home in the mountains above Flaming George. We camped at over 8,000 feet where it was nice and cool! No cell service, beautiful lake near by, little creek and we were still able to have a campfire for the cool evenings. It was a great getaway, did some relaxing, fishing and exploring. We did get rained on and hail too! It was a good time and very needed.

20210629_194321.jpg
20210629_203645.jpg
received_520691566041570.jpeg
20210701_095652.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Awnings and RV's are a double-edged blade. They can really lower the temps inside and give you a shady place to sit outside when it's hot as balls. Once you've lost an RV awning to the wind, you're way less likely to ever use them again. Coreshot has had three ripped off the side of his RV, and they are supposed to be wind-sensing units.

We started using these sun-shades instead of our awnings. They are not much money, and we can leave them set up for the entire camping season without the wind killing them.

0736D4AD-CE95-43D6-999F-943FD57CA169.jpeg

Houndoc

Awnings and RV's are a double-edged blade. They can really lower the temps inside and give you a shady place to sit outside when it's hot as balls. Once you've lost an RV awning to the wind, you're way less likely to ever use them again. Coreshot has had three ripped off the side of his RV, and they are supposed to be wind-sensing units.

We started using these sun-shades instead of our awnings. They are not much money, and we can leave them set up for the entire camping season without the wind killing them.

View attachment 138887
I remember a lot of camping trips as a kid scrambling to roll up the awning on the motorhome when the winds suddenly picked up.

ID Bronco

View attachment 138887

What kind of poles would work well for a mobile application? Yours look to be secured pretty well. Any ideas?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What kind of poles would work well for a mobile application? Yours look to be secured pretty well. Any ideas?
I've used T posts before. I've also seen people use 5 gallon buckets with cement or dirt in them, then stake some support strings out to the side to keep tension, like you would with a tent.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So I have one of these sun shades and worked fantastic in the wind on the beach. Could probably be easily adapted to attach to a trailer and use the poles/weights to keep other end up. It’s super stretchy and durable

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Th
Jeremy tell us more about that sunshade. That would work well for us since our RV stays in one place all the time
This is the one I have. You want to make sure you get one with reinforced corners.

Garden EXPERT 16'x20' Sun Shade Sail Brown Rectangle Canopy Sail Shade UV Block for Patio Garden Outdoor Backyard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQ6L92P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_PlraGPmnvYskW

I tied one corner to my ladder and the other to a solar panel bracket on the roof. The I got two 10' T-posts and set them in the ground a good three feet. I welded a loop on top of each one

The shades will stretch some when they are new, so you need to set your poles out far enough to compensate for they

We get some pretty crazy wind at times at our property. This shade held up to the wind far better than our Costco carport/tent thing. We had it secured in the ground with 18' augers on each corner and it pulled them clean out of the hard packed clay.

J-mobzz

Jeremy tell us more about that sunshade. That would work well for us since our RV stays in one place all the time
I used what looks to be the same 16x20 that @Hickey has to cover the deck of my old house. I used 6” pipe because I liked the look of the beefy pipe and 6” turn buckles. It was up all summer for 3 years and my ex wife still uses the same one at her new place. They really are pretty awesome it never ripped and did a great job of offering shade at a fraction of the cost.

I also welded some d rings on the pipe and the 16’ span worked great for hanging Hammocks also.

Houndoc

Newest addition to the camping family. 1957 Jewel 12'. Just finished the rebuild earlier this year. Have used it a couple weekends so far. Taking it for a week to Montana next month.

View attachment 138660
One more question on your trailer update.
Did you add A/C? What options do you think would work best to add it (my wife likes an older trailer we found on KSL, but lacks A/C)?