Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So my boy has really gotten into mountain biking this year. He joined the bonneville mountain bike team and has been going 2-3 times a week.

I used to smoke him but he is quickly getting good. I can muscle up hills better still but that’s about it.

He saved his cash and bought a cheap norco hard tail. Definitely better than anything he has had before but it seems he is going to outgrow it pretty quick.

His bike is in the shop for its 3rd derailleur so I let him take mine the last 2 rides. It’s a giant stance that I bought used several years ago. I’m not sure on the year. He loves the bike. Big issue is it’s a XL frame and he is roughly 5’5” but he doesn’t seem to have an issue with it.

I’m considering “selling” it to him and I will get something else. I’m just a little concerned about the size but he is growing like a weed these days.

You guys see an issue with riding a bike that’s a bit big? Me being a man of large stature in both height and width I haven’t had to worry about such things.

Also, any recommendations of bikes I should be looking at for old fat guys?

Definitely want something for all mountain type riding. Little climbing and a little downhill. I’m not a jumper. Full suspension is a must. Maybe a 2000 budget and I’m not scared of buying used.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Couple potential issues with a too-big bike. One is the extra weight, that probably won't slow him down much and will make him a stronger rider in the long run but if he was a weaker rider to begin with there's the potential for that to be discouraging. But it sounds like that's not an issue. A bigger deal is the standover height - if something goes wrong on the trail and he needs to get a foot down on the downhill side, how's that gonna go? Will the top tube let him get his foot below the level of the wheels without tipping the bike and taking a header down the slope? Just something to consider.

Last time I was bike shopping I was looking for probably the same bike you are, I wanted a 130mm-150mm travel trail bike with efficient climbing chops. I looked hard at the Transition Spur, I didn't like the stability. Something about it felt twitchy and unstable for me. I looked at the Ibis Ripley, rented one a couple times up in Park City, it didn't pedal uphill anything near like it's reputation and blew through its travel way too quickly under my weight. I nearly pulled the trigger on an Orbea Occam - that bike felt right, but they weren't getting the build kit I wanted in my size any time soon. I landed on a used Giant Trance X 29 and I'm real pleased. There's very little pedal bob on the climbs, I rarely bother putting the suspension in climb mode. It's way more bike than I know what to do with on the downs, it's super composed and will go way faster than I've got the balls to let it. It gets its stability from being a very low and long bike, which gets tricky on tight switchbacks and it's definitely teaching me proper pedal placement in rock gardens. You're welcome to take it for a spin if you'd like.

ChestonScout

I may have to take you up on that!

Jonah has my long legs and short torso. I’ll have to check how it is but it seems like his leg reach is pretty decent

Thanks for the reply!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It's really hard to beat the value in a Giant. I have ridden a few of my friends Ibis, Yeti and Santa Cruz big money bikes and they are nice but, my Rocky Mountain Instinct is also pretty sweet and you can get one for a little more than the Giant and I think the frame is quite a bit stiffer in a good way. You're welcome to come grab mine and ride it.
I just picked up a Giant Trance off KSL for Easton who is 12. It's a medium and has some pretty sweet upgraded parts. I paid $900 for it which I thought was a lot of bike for that price. Brian also picked up a Trance for Jaxon only his is newer and more money because rich dad.

Kevin B.

I may have to take you up on that!

Jonah has my long legs and short torso. I’ll have to check how it is but it seems like his leg reach is pretty decent

Thanks for the reply!
I forgot to mention, the Scheels in Salt Lake honors Trek's 25% discount for NICA riders. Ian picked up a Fuel EX8 for $3000, which is a pretty stinking good deal.

ChestonScout

So I recently found out a buddy has a pretty good giant discount through his work.

I’m not sure he can pass that on to me but he is going to look into it.

I do have to say my Stance has been a great bike.

Bingham cyclery did an outstanding job on the new derailleur setup on Jonah’s Norco. He is way happy with his bike at the moment so this isn’t an emergency. He is really just wanting full suspension (kids these days are spoiled….especially Brian’s but Chads as well)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I just saw this survey and I was surprised to learn that there might be some trails in the Oquirrh's.

I've often wondered what was up there looking from my house or while driving. It would be pretty awesome if there were hiking and/or biking trails available outside of Butterfield/Middle Canyon.

I filled out the survey, the last question is where do you live. Maybe they'll just toss all of them from people that don't live in Tooele County but we'll see. It would certainly be nice to have more trails available.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I just saw this survey and I was surprised to learn that there might be some trails in the Oquirrh's.

I've often wondered what was up there looking from my house or while driving. It would be pretty awesome if there were hiking and/or biking trails available outside of Butterfield/Middle Canyon.

I filled out the survey, the last question is where do you live. Maybe they'll just toss all of them from people that don't live in Tooele County but we'll see. It would certainly be nice to have more trails available.

Just took it as well

Kevin B.

It would be pretty awesome if there were hiking and/or biking trails available outside of Butterfield/Middle Canyon.
There's a little bit on the Salt Lake side. The Herriman and Yellowfork trail systems above Herriman are both being added to and there's a NICA race course that's either built or being built at the base of Butterfield, and they're making noise about extending the BST through all three of those and then hopefully up over the top into Middle.

ChestonScout

So yesterday our friend that works at Powder Mountain this summer invited us up to ride the bike park with his buddy passes. Sounded like a fun, cheap play day!
We being Jonah, my wife char and myself.

We took the easy rider green trail first. It’s been many many many years since I have done a downhill day with lift service. First few turns I was having a blast. I quickly noticed that I didn’t feel comfortable with my open face helmet and no pads. They offer a helmet, knee and elbow pad rental for 40 bucks for the day. I decided I would do that.

Well when we got to the bottom of the lift, I noticed my cranks were falling off. It appeared to just be loose. We went to the bike shop and they did not have any tools that fit it to try to tighten it up. So I decided to rent a bike. Bike rental came with helmet and pads anyways.

I rented a commencal on 27.5s. Bike felt really heavy picking it up but man it rode so nice compared to my old giant.

We rode the east rider again and it literally was night and day different. SOOO much fun

Char was struggling pretty bad. Her bike is a LIV hard tail that is pretty much a road bike. So we decided to rent her a bike as well. It helped her confidence and she had a lot of fun too.

Then Jonah was hitting the jumps way bigger than I expected him to so we decided to rent pads for him as well.

Throw in some 5 dollar each tacos and my cheap fun day became an expensive fun day.

But man was it fun!

I don’t think I would buy that commencal but it sure opened my eyes up to what a better bike can do.

Also screw pedaling. I want to ride the lift all the time. Hahaha
71356695859__2CF04429-0702-485F-865E-77D4CE0982EA.jpegIMG_5492.jpegIMG_5493.jpegIMG_5500.jpegIMG_5501.jpeg

Kevin B.

So, that Commencal - not just a better bike, but designed specifically for downhill and enduro. Pedal that guy back up the mountain and you'll appreciate your Giant all over again.

Unless lift-served riding has swayed you to the Dark Side, in which case you should just give up and admit that you're old and buy an ebike like @moab_cj5.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
So, that Commencal - not just a better bike, but designed specifically for downhill and enduro. Pedal that guy back up the mountain and you'll appreciate your Giant all over again.

Unless lift-served riding has swayed you to the Dark Side, in which case you should just give up and admit that you're old and buy an ebike like @moab_cj5.
I freaking love my ebike! Was 3x what my used moto cost, but it's super fun and a great workout.

I rode my buddies Specialized Levo Turbo ebike and it was a riot. Almost made me regret buying the Santa Cruz.

Downhill biking is SOOOO much fun! Glad y'all enjoyed Powder @ChestonScout ! I haven't ridden there yet but keep seeing cool stuff about it. It's certainly on my list.

ChestonScout

I have zero problem admitting I’m old and out of shape . E bike would probably serve me very well. Lol

I’ve only been on @rholbrook e bike for 5 seconds in front of his house but that was enough for me to realize they are pretty neat

Maybe that is what I should be considering. 🤔

I was very impressed with POW MoW bike park for being pretty new yet. They are cutting in a lot more trails still.

Lift price was 54 bucks. Apparently they are going to raise it dramatically next year