Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

STAG

On my grind
I think the 4 runner bar doesn't look too bad. I think what throws it off is that it's only 3/4 the length of the bed, and the rear bar angles rearward. It would look good with a RTT up there IMO.

sixstringsteve

If I did a rtt, it'd sit below the roof line of the taco to make aerodynamics suck less. The bar is gone, but it was fun to mock it up. I'm still not sure if a rtt is for me. I may just have to rent one sometime.

Cascadia

Undecided
You're making me very jealous! My 03 DC taco was my all time favorite out of all my rigs, and I've had a lot. Is it time to sell the tundra? :eek:

Bart

Nice job on the quick build. You're getting pretty good with those Yota builds. I'd imagine Kurt will be sending you an offer one of these days. Rig looks great.

sixstringsteve

Haha. Kurt's employees are far more skilled than I. Thanks for the compliment though. As much as unlike this tear bumper, I think a cbi bumper might be in my future.

airmanwilliams

Just saw on the lowrangeoffroad website that they are having an overstock sale. Thought I would share in case you thought about buying one of the items soon.

LT.

Hey Six, i must have missed a few things. I thought you were building a 4runner. What happened to that project? I also was wondering what happened that you needed a winch for. I read a thread asking about a winch suggestions for someone who doesn't like winches. I thought a hand winch was the way you went. Is that not the case? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I just can't keep up with your projects.

LT.

sixstringsteve

No problem, there's a lot to keep up with.

I was building a 4runner. I've only had it 2 months, but I've realized that it's not the right vehicle for me. We went on a trip with 4 people and a dog and frieed. We went down to Goblin Valley and headed over to Capitol Reef via backroads. It was a super fun trip, but fitting 4 people's gear in a 4runner was tough. I had to stack it all up, and practically unload the entire vehicle at nights. A sliding drawer system would really help out, but I realized I missed my truck bed and tailgate more than anything. I also feel that the runners are a bit more fragile than the tacomas. The trucks seem beefier built, even though they use the same motor, trans, etc. The suspension is a lot beefier on the trucks. Also, a LOT of stuff hangs down below the frame rails on a 4runner. You've got the exhaust, gas tank, and lower links all hanging down. The pickups have it tucked up a bit more. So rather than pour money into a vehicle that I wasn't 100% satisfied with, I decided to get my favorite rig and build that.

Regarding winching, we had a nice river crossing on that trip. The river was about 30 feet across and we measured it with a stick and it was only about 8" deep. No big deal, I thought, I've been through stuff 3x this deep. Frieed has a winch and a pull-pal, otherwise we probably wouldn't have tried the river crossing (actually, I would have tried it, Frieed would have had more sense and turned around). You can see where this story is headed...

Fried dropped in and even with both his axles engaged he wasn't able to get across. He went about 5 feet, then he sunk to his axles. Fortunately the water was about 2" below the door and the interior stayed dry. We got in the water, drug his winch line out about 60 feet, and used the pullpal to winch him out. There's no way he could have got outta there without a winch.

Then it was my turn and I didn't even make it all the way into the bank before I got stuck. My rear hitch got hung up on the bank entering, and I had to get winched across as well. It was a really unique river crossing. It was like pea gravel 10 feet deep. The water was flowing through the gravel, even 5 feet below the surface. once our wheels started turning, it just dug big holes with the tires and we didn't make it across.

I still have my hand winch, but I wonder if it would have gotten me out of that situation. I'd rather not find out. I'll still be keeping the hand winch for nasty recoveries and general lifting around the house, but I decided then and there that I needed a front winch. I can't afford the winch or the bumper this year, but I hope to be able to in the next year.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I knew those questions were coming sooner or later....

Not everyone lives on RME nor can everyone follow everything everyone does, I on the other hand do live here. Kinda nice since I never have to play catch up.

And just to keep on track, I can't wait to see this when I get home.

LT.

Wow! I had no idea. Isn't it kinda funny how we come full circle? Thank you for all you do for the wheeling comunity. We all enjoy your builds and i look forward to this one equally as much as your other builds.

LT.

Max Power

Bryce
From reading through your thread I gather you still want to do some light rock crawling. Are you planning any transfer case modifications?

I love white rigs!

sixstringsteve

No tcase mods planned. I've got an automatic and 4.88s so its not too challenged. I'll get a tranny cooler eventually. I plan on being capable enough to do the Rubicon.