Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... Fried dropped in and even with both his axles engaged he wasn't able to get across. He went about 5 feet, then he sunk to his axles. Fortunately the water was about 2" below the door and the interior stayed dry. We got in the water, drug his winch line out about 60 feet, and used the pullpal to winch him out. There's no way he could have got outta there without a winch.

Then it was my turn and I didn't even make it all the way into the bank before I got stuck. My rear hitch got hung up on the bank entering, and I had to get winched across as well. It was a really unique river crossing. It was like pea gravel 10 feet deep. The water was flowing through the gravel, even 5 feet below the surface. once our wheels started turning, it just dug big holes with the tires and we didn't make it across.

I still have my hand winch, but I wonder if it would have gotten me out of that situation. I'd rather not find out. I'll still be keeping the hand winch for nasty recoveries and general lifting around the house, but I decided then and there that I needed a front winch. I can't afford the winch or the bumper this year, but I hope to be able to in the next year.

Is there going to be a trip report for this adventure? Hopefully there are pics! Which river crossing?

Strautins

Looks like a great start to your new build dude! Can't wait to see this thing on 35s, makes me want them on my truck BADLY...

sixstringsteve

Here's a teaser to keep me motivated:

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

sixstringsteve

That's what I figured, we've crossed it before in Catherine's 4Runner and there was zero problems... and we were alone, with no real recovery gear. :eek:

yikes. I'm sure you crossed at a much more sensible place than we did. We took unnecessary risks knowing we had two vehicles, a winch, and a pull pal.

Cascadia

Undecided
How well will those 35's stuff in the rear? Will there be lots of rubbing? I know you will tub the front? And I know you have had 35's on a 4 door before so you have the answer. :)

Rock Taco

Since you havent named this one yet, what names are you considering? Are your names for your builds try outs for your future kids?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm looking forward to this build. I was always a fan of your maroon one and that one made me want to get into one of thse double cabs as well, but like you said, their price is up there so I've been holding off :)

sixstringsteve

Since you havent named this one yet, what names are you considering?

I'm still trying to find the right name. A few I've kicked around are: Hector, Harold, Carlos... Not sure why I gravitate towards the spanish names. I guess I think they're unique. I definitely want a boy's name this time.

Hm... Carlos sounds nice... Carlos it is.

Are your names for your builds try outs for your future kids?

Haha, I dunno. I hope my kids don't get names as ugly as my builds. :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

How well will those 35's stuff in the rear? Will there be lots of rubbing? I know you will tub the front? And I know you have had 35's on a 4 door before so you have the answer. :)

Not well at all. If I were a mall crawler I'd say "no cutting necessary, it clears just fine. I drove to work and in the driveway and nothing rubs."

If you flex it at all, they'll rub, but the nice part is you don't have to cut a whole lot. Maybe an inch around the entire fender, and you have to open up the black flares a little. I wish my flares were an extra inch wider, my tires stick outside the flares by about 1/2"

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Today I did the best mod any vehicle owner can do for perormance, speed, and reliability: De- badging.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing this but I'm not a fan of chrome, and I prefer the minimalistic, simple look.

Look at all that bling!

IMG_1829.JPG

IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

Step 1: Heat gun on LOW heat. Soften the glue behind the emblem.

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

Step 2: Work the emblem off using fishing line.

IMG_1835.JPG

Step 3: Use an eraser wheel to remove the leftover residue:

IMG_1838.JPG

Step 4: Wax (not done yet)

Step 5: Enjoy your non-bling ride. Much better!

IMG_1839.JPG

I watched a YouTube video that said to use this stuff to remove the adhesive:

IMG_1837.JPG

It worked well on his dodge, but it did nothing on my toyota. The eraser wheel proved much more effective. Eraser wheels can be purchased at auto body/paint supply stores.

Last edited: