Can we talk dogs?

SpeedyVic

Other than not leaving a mess, the airsoft gun hits harder than paintball guns. Paintball guns will shoot 300 fps, my airsoft is 500-600 fps.

Yes, but the paint will be an indicator for the dog owner to keep it from going where it is not wanted.

Houndoc

I am looking for opinions on dog dookoo protocol. If you dog lays a hot one down and you pick it up in the little baggy is it kosher to toss it into someone else's garbage can? I feel guilty every time but I don't want to lug that thing along the rest of our walk. Whenever possible I try and find a dumpster or a public garbage can. What are the rules of engagement?

I only put it in someone else's garbage if pick-up is the next day or they have left their can out for several days in cold weather- never in the summer. Usually I just pack it home.

As far as dogs going on your lawn, best first option is talking to owner, then calling animal control when the dog is out. Harming the dog physically, even if it is on your property, could put you in trouble for abuse.

sixstringsteve

I found a video about Xolos that's mostly correct about the breed.

[video=youtube;IV0aEB8acqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV0aEB8acqo[/video]

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I just re-read this whole thread, lots of good info in here.

My daughter is 5 and has been begging for a dog for over a year. I think every kid deserves to know the responsibility and companionship that a dog brings, so I think I'm ready to get a dog again. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and those dogs just lived outside with no rules. This time around I really want to focus on having a very well trained dog and training myself to communicate well with the dog.

After doing research I've decided I'd like a standard poodle. The bad part about that breed is the expense! I could really save by going through a rescue, but that worries me a bit.

Bringing in an adult dog seems like I won't be able to train it the way I'd like. On the flip side it could be well trained and save me a huge head ache. What's everyone's opinion on rescue dogs vs puppies?

What's everyone's favorite training books/videos? I was going to order Ceasar Milans training videos but wanted other input first. I know there are thousands of dog training videos on YouTube, should I just focus there?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Puppies are A LOT of work. We have a now 4 month old white swiss shepherd, and I forgot how much work they are as puppies. If you go the puppy route and want a well behaved, trained dog plan for a lot of time to go to the dog for the first few months. Our pup has class twice a week right now for socialization/obedience. They do sleep a lot as pups, but when they are awake they need attention, and stimulation or they will get into trouble. Depending on the breed, it takes lots of training/time for the puppy to develop the ability to entertain itself. With our 4 month old pup, she is now starting to go find a toy or chew, herself and entertain. This still only lasts a short time, before she needs human interaction/stimulation to keep her out of trouble.

If you have the time and patience a puppy can be very rewarding. Going through a good breeder can also increase your chances of getting a dog with good health/temperament. Corresponding with a breeder prior to picking a puppy can help you get a dog with a temperament/drive that works for you and your family. The dog will cost a bit more, but a dog is a long term investment. If you want to be happy and like the dog its a good route to go. You can get lucky and get a good dog from a "backyard" breeder. Our first dog was a German Shepherd, we got her from a backyard breeder because we didn't know any better. She turned out to be an amazing, very trainable dog. Unfortunately she ended up having a number of health issues that probably stemmed from not breeding the best lines. My wife's parents got a dog from the same litter, and he has a terrible temperament and has been quite the pain for them.

For training and picking a puppy I'd recommend checking out these guys books http://www.newskete.org/our-dogs.html

Link to books on amazon http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:283155,p_27:Monks of New Skete

This is my little pain in the ass down in the swell last week. She's a handful, but she's showing great potential and should be great when she matures

af37ca91e433f8f4378a51c24ddebab1.jpg

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Excellent input, thanks.

Have you used any of the monks books personally? If so which one really stood out to you? They all look like a good read

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't remember that we really did the book thing but we did classes at Petco as well as at a dog club. There is a club that meets over in West Jordan at the reserve base at Airport #2 that is pretty reasonable. In the end our dogs parents flunked out because we didn't take the time to "study" during the week. It was real hard for our puppies to focus with all the other dogs there and they didn't want to give us attention but really that is the enviroment that you want when training. The dog won't really ever be in the "perfect world" without distraction, even when you guys are just around that house and yard. (edit: link to club here.)

I know that we got lucky with our dogs temperament but when I was thinking what I wanted in a dog and its behavior before we got one that is exactly how he behaves. For an example the test that I had in mind was that he would be behaved enough that we could have him off leash in the front yard and that we would be able to keep him from running off. We have a neighborhood park across the street that gets lots of kids and people running/walking dogs and I'm happy to say that he'll stay with us and will not run off. When we're out in the mountains or camping its the same thing and I love that I don't need to worry about him wandering off or chasing things and getting lost.

One last thing I'll say is that it helps a ton having both of you on the same page with how the dog is going to be treated. If you are the only one that is strict with them and the second you walk out of the room the dog gets whatever he/she wants training is going to be very difficult. I realized very early that my wife was giving "treats" to my dog non-stop. Like every time she walked through the kitchen and the dog was there she would give him something special. This made training hard because I'd try and get him to sit and wanted to reward him for doing so but it wasn't anything special, to him it was basically just dog food. Regardless of what I said to my wife it hasn't changed and he gets a "treat" whenever she leaves the house. I'll often find she has left him a scavenger hunt around the house of treats that he hasn't touched (like on the counter, the stairs, his dog bed...) Its ridiculous but treats just don't have the same meaning to me and my wife. So other than treats think about how you plan to handle giving the dog scraps off the table, how you'll deal with begging, where it'll sleep or stay while everyone is gone. I think that like kids, dogs need consistency, they need to be given time to learn how things are going to be and if its always changing they'll get confused and just do whatever they want and it'll be your fault.

Can I ask how/why you've decided on a standard poodle? I'm just curious about what it is that you're looking for in a breed.

ichi-san

Earthbound Misfit
We've had 5 poodles, all toys or minis. One from a backyard breeder, 2 from registered breeders and 2 from rescue organizations. They all have been smart and clever dogs. We've never had a standard, but hear that they are more laid back that the littler ones. We probably had better luck with the rescue dogs than the others as far being healthier and better temperament. I think it's hit or miss regardless of where you get them. I will agree PUPPIES ARE A LOT OF WORK. We have a 4 month old toy (registered breeder) that that is wide open. We were actually looking for another rescue but could not find one and though "wouldn't be great to have another puppy?" We had forgotten how much work a puppy is. Fortunately she and our male mini (rescue) get along. He's about 2 or 3, we are not really sure, but he does about 90% of the work for wearing her out.

My wife does all the training, usually at a local class. I think you get back whatever effort you're willing to put into training. We usually not willing to put the effort in for a super trained dog. As long as they are reasonably well behaved we're happy.

sixstringsteve

I love anything by Cesar Milan. We used this book religiously to train Fender, and we couldn't be happier with how he turned out:

How to raise the perfect dog by Caesar Milan
http://amzn.to/1TS1ZiO

One thing I will say, selecting the right dog (not just breed) is extremely important. The first few chapters of that book tell you what to look for to make sure you're getting the right dog/personality for your family. I'd recommend reading it with your daughter. Your entire family has to be on the same page with the dog, or they'll get mixed signals. You need to all treat the dog with the same method, or you'll undermine their training.

I love his show "the dog whisperer." the man knows dogs!

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Excellent input, thanks.

Have you used any of the monks books personally? If so which one really stood out to you? They all look like a good read

My wife is a book worm and ordered all three prior to getting this pup, also ordered several books specific to her breed. You're more than welcome to come scan through them.

If you go with a puppy "the art of raising a puppy" is probably best. Its a step by step book that basically tells you how/what to train the dog during that point in its life.

If you go with a rescue or adult dog "divine canine" is probably a better book. It has several different dogs that have different behavioral problem. That book goes through how to address those.

Also forgot to mention, just like the off roading world, there are a ton of dog forums. If you have decided on a standard poodle, try and find some forums. They should be able to hook you up with a good breeder, or maybe a rescue specifically for poodles. Don't be afraid to look outside the state for the right dog either. Shipping a dog isn't as expensive as you might think. Our pup came from Oregon.

Last edited:

Houndoc

Standard Poodles are among my favorite family dogs (along with Goldens and Beagles.) Down side is they do have some health issues, with Addison's Disease (an endocrine/hormone disorder of the adrenal glands) being far more common in them than about any other (would almost say I treat it more in Standards than others combined.)

Adult v puppy is tough call. Puppies are a lot of work, a whole lot of fun and you start with a relative blank slate. You also have the added expenses of training, vaccinations and spaying/neuter. An adult/rescue you should have the advantage of not going through all the training/chewing etc but you also do not know what behavioral problems you may inherit. A rescue group that fosters the dogs until adoption can give you better idea than humane society or animal control. I would still budget for training just in case.

Tonkaman

I've focused on standard poodles because I've never met an owner who didn't praise them.

-I love a dog that is highly intelligent
-kid friendly
-moderately easy to train
-as little drool as possible
-as little shedding as possible, even if that requires extra grooming. I freaking hate animal hair!
- medium or large size

Luckily the girls both know how I am with structure. I think they will both do really well training the dog the way I ask them to. Elaina's brother lives at our house also and works later hours than us. This will be nice since the dog will rarely be home alone.

Good call on dog forums, I never even thought about that! I need to just dive into some reading.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We just snagged this guy last fall. He's kind of a "rescue" but just bought off KSL. Someone needed to get rid of him because of things that happen in life. He's 1.5 years old and turning into a pretty decent mutt.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 26

Tonkaman

Actually all this trouble has come about because of a Giant Schnauzer. My next door neighbor got a puppy around the time we moved in, 10 months later it's my daughters best friend. I actually spent a little time looking into them as a string candidate.

Although I love the Giant Schnauzer I'm concerned about a couple things. These are all observations I've made without personally having one.

-First it's a terrier. I know people are going to flame me for that, but terriers really have a hard time fighting their instincts to get prey. I think because of that they would be harder to train and keep under control when my wife or daughter has them out alone.

-Also the few schnauzers I've gotten to know have been kinda mysterious and neurotic. Maybe it's just been coincidence but they kinda seem to challenge the leader. The neighbors dog loves to stare me down while doing something he shouldn't.

-Schnauzers seem to prefer rough play rather than bounding around to burn off energy. That's not all bad but they tend to knock kids down like boding pins. My kid would love it but I worry about the other kids who will be around.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
No complaints from me on those reasons Derek. My sister in laws brother has had a bunch of them (giant schnauzers) and they've always said how well behaved they were. He bought packs for them and would have the dog carry the beer while they were doing day hikes up in the mountains. We had a mini while growing up and I wouldn't get one of those ever but bigger is better for sure. So I posted that from the size, rumored temperament, and that they don't shed which was something you wanted.

Something I'd think about too was when you go out camping with the whole family. Where will the dog travel? In the cab, in the bed (but you've got your RTT mounted there), are you going to leave them home while you guys go play? Are you going to be able to fit a big dog in the cab with the family? I know standard poodles aren't as big as my great dane but still I'd think about that a bunch before I bought one.

sixstringsteve

Something I'd think about too was when you go out camping with the whole family. Where will the dog travel? In the cab, in the bed (but you've got your RTT mounted there), are you going to leave them home while you guys go play? Are you going to be able to fit a big dog in the cab with the family? I know standard poodles aren't as big as my great dane but still I'd think about that a bunch before I bought one.

^ this. I think Fender's the perfect size (I think he's the perfect everything, but what dog owner doesn't think that about their dog?)

I'd also double-check to make sure your girl isn't allergic to any dogs. That'd be terrible to bond with the dog, then have to give it away.