RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I got a new drag link and track bar last week, courtesy of ILean's home machine shop. Thanks!

I centered everything up and made a very temporary axle-side track bar mount so I could cycle the suspension and see if the track bar clears everything in its new higher position. I pulled the springs out and dropped the suspension to full compression, and found the track bar solidly contacting the oil pan. In fact, I wasn't careful enough and managed to dent the oil pan. Woops... That means in order to get the track bar perfectly parallel to the drag link, I would have to tear out and rebuild my frame-side mount. I really don't want to do that.

I built the axle side mount as high as possible, without hitting the oil pan. It's really close to parallel so I don't think bump steer will be an issue, but if I have to, I'll rebuild the frame side mount.

I took it for a drive and could tell an immediate difference. It no longer has much "steering roll", where the suspension leans over to one side when you turn the steering wheel one way, and the other side when you turn it the other. It handles much nicer. I can't wait to try it out on a trail.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2862 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2862 (Medium).JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 184

mesha

By endurance we conquer
With as awesome as the rest of the jeep is the frame mount needs done;)

ask Santa maybe he will hook you up.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
With as awesome as the rest of the jeep is the frame mount needs done;)

ask Santa maybe he will hook you up.

It's just that I already did it once, and I'm happy with how it turned out. It would hurt a bit to cut it out just to make it less than an inch longer. For now that's on the bottom of the list, way below axle paint, a transmission shifting solution, etc.

attachment.php

RockChucker

if you were sneaky, is there any possibility of mounting the draglink under the highsteer arm? would that put the geometry off in the opposite way, or make it right on? just a thought. awesome work. this is my favorite xj for sure.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
if you were sneaky, is there any possibility of mounting the draglink under the highsteer arm? would that put the geometry off in the opposite way, or make it right on? just a thought. awesome work. this is my favorite xj for sure.

I think that would make the mismatch worse, plus I would probably have to take the arm off to install the drag link from the underside. I would also have to drill a new hole and ream it from the bottom. Thanks!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hotness!
I'm going to come over and paint that other knuckle pink ;)

Paint the rest of the axle too while you're under there!

BTW, I ordered one of these last week, after enduring your ridicule.

attachment.php

New center console seems to be the next phase of the project.

Attachments

• NewRailShifter7-8-10001.jpg
    NewRailShifter7-8-10001.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 183

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Let me know when you get that thing. I might come over and check it out. I've been considering one for my aw4.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Will do. Have you been using the stock tcu?

I have but it's been acting up on me and I've been considering making my own switch to choose between 1st & 2nd, as I started wanting to use 2nd gear a lot more before I tore the last buggy down. It would be nice to have a little more control over the gears. In the past I've just jumped between 3rd & 1st as needed. It's worked really well but there have been climbs where 2nd gear would have been optimal.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Paint the rest of the axle too while you're under there!

BTW, I ordered one of these last week, after enduring your ridicule.

attachment.php

New center console seems to be the next phase of the project.

You will love this upgrade! Any reason you didn't go with the Rock Shifter as well? I love having mine moved back where I can shift / select gears with the flick of me wrist.

For reference here's where mine ended up with the setback version of the rockshifter.. I still need to build a cover for the console where the original shifter was.

IMG-20110930-00201.jpg

IMG-20110930-00202.jpg

Last edited: