RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You will love this upgrade! Any reason you didn't go with the Rock Shifter as well?

I didn't see any reason to spend the extra money. The rock shifter and my stock mechanical shifter both need to be modified so I can slap them into reverse fast, which is what I'm used to. No reason to spend money on something that doesn't do what I want, when what I already have can be made to for free. It is a cheap Cherokee, remember.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
I didn't see any reason to spend the extra money. The rock shifter and my stock mechanical shifter both need to be modified so I can slap them into reverse fast, which is what I'm used to. No reason to spend money on something that doesn't do what I want, when what I already have can be made to for free. It is a cheap Cherokee, remember.

The rock shifter IS gated so you can slam reverse when needed, and true, I keep forgetting the theme of this build is "cheap cherokee". :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The rock shifter IS gated so you can slam reverse when needed, and true, I keep forgetting the theme of this build is "cheap cherokee". :D

It looks like you have to navigate through a maze to get that thing in reverse. I want it where if I just push forward on the stick it will go to reverse, and stop there. No gates. I am concerned that the aw4 won't go into reverse as quickly as I'd like, even with a shifter that can get me there right now.

It looks like you have to navigate through a maze to get that thing in reverse. I want it where if I just push forward on the stick it will go to reverse, and stop there. No gates. I am concerned that the aw4 won't go into reverse as quickly as I'd like, even with a shifter that can get me there right now.

nope, D-R is just a short slap. x1994j runs the newer version but it's not much different than mine, but both take minimal effort to hit reverse quickly when needed.

Last edited:

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck

I guess I didnt look at my stock shifter all that well. You'll have to bypass the button you push with your thumb to shift, then will you be able to make it stop in Reverse instead of going all the way forward into Park? Will be interesting to see what you come up with... BTW, that new knuckle and setup looks great. I need to go that route.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I guess I didnt look at my stock shifter all that well. You'll have to bypass the button you push with your thumb to shift, then will you be able to make it stop in Reverse instead of going all the way forward into Park? Will be interesting to see what you come up with... BTW, that new knuckle and setup looks great. I need to go that route.

On my old buggy I completely removed the button, and put in a pin to stop it at reverse. Remove pin to go into park. It worked great, every time. I think this time I would like to try to use the button for reverse to park. So no stops anywhere except between reverse and park.

On my old buggy I completely removed the button, and put in a pin to stop it at reverse. Remove pin to go into park. It worked great, every time. I think this time I would like to try to use the button for reverse to park. So no stops anywhere except between reverse and park.

I had that on mine, it worked good I just didn't like how far the shifter was from me when I was strapped in the harness. With the rock shifter set back its all at my hip.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I took a quick look at my stock mechanical shifter today. Modifying it to be able to slam into reverse will be super easy. You can see the pin that is retracted by the button on the shifter. It rides smoothly up all the little "ramps", but can't ride up the perpendicular "walls" without pressing the button. By changing the profile of this edge I can add or remove detents anywhere I want them. To get the ability to slam from any forward gear straight into reverse, all I have to do is grind the wall between neutral and reverse down into a ramp. I marked the tiny section that needs to be modified in silver.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2899 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2899 (Medium).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 176

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was going to do the same but I've gotten so used to slamming into neutral and hitting reverse if needed. 90% of the time neutral saves me. I'm probably weird like that though.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Well that's a piece of cake.... are you going to leave it in the stock location? Maybe i have short stubby arms but I hated reaching for the shifter when I was belted in tight.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Well that's a piece of cake.... are you going to leave it in the stock location? Maybe i have short stubby arms but I hated reaching for the shifter when I was belted in tight.

Keep in mind mine started off as a manual. I put the AW4 in it, along with the shifter, so my shifter is probably not in the stock position. It is in very comfortable reach from the driver's seat. I can comfortably rest my hand on it while driving.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Keep in mind mine started off as a manual. I put the AW4 in it, along with the shifter, so my shifter is probably not in the stock position. It is in very comfortable reach from the driver's seat. I can comfortably rest my hand on it while driving.

Got ya! That makes sense.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm almost wondering if you should make the neutral stop a little deeper than factory now that you have that other spot shaved down. Slap it hard and see if you can get it to bypass reverse and drop into park. That would suck!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I'm almost wondering if you should make the neutral stop a little deeper than factory now that you have that other spot shaved down. Slap it hard and see if you can get it to bypass reverse and drop into park. That would suck!

I wondered the same thing. I slammed it pretty hard a few times and didn't get past reverse. I was actually surprised at how tiny a ledge would stop it. When filing down the one wall I couldn't really see anything left, but it still stopped there. I had to file it nice and smooth to get it to go past neutral. I'm going to run it as it is, until I have any issues. I don't think I will.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I did the exact same thing with the B&M shifter in my Willys buggy. It worked out well--during "normal" shifting, I could still feel where the stop used to be, and lifted the handle to shift...but when I slapped it hard it went straight to Reverse. It seems you'll have the same experience. :)