N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
me too, i'd like to see this :greg:

it's a lot less sketchy than it sounds, trust me. the thing sounds like a battery powered toothbrush when it's running. i'm not even sure if the revolutions are in the thousands. i was a little bit nervous about it when i told my friend i could probably do it and he challenged me so i did it. if you push it against anything with the intention of cutting or grinding it just stops so grabbing it between thumb and finger is really easy. even the wire wheel attachment sucks.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Done and done. That was a pretty easy deal and I'm gonna love it on the trail I'm sure. You can really fine tune it to how hard you have to push to get reverse. Mine isn't super hard but it's also not super easy. Thanks for reminding me about this mod!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Done and done. That was a pretty easy deal and I'm gonna love it on the trail I'm sure. You can really fine tune it to how hard you have to push to get reverse. Mine isn't super hard but it's also not super easy. Thanks for reminding me about this mod!
Did you take out the forward gear stops too, or just reverse?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been working on a transmission shifter cover this morning. I'll probably paint it black, but I'm half tempted to just slap a clear coat on it. :greg: I need to get some P R N D 3 1-2 markings on it. Anyone have really nice handwriting?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2921 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN2921 (Medium).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 273

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been working on a transmission shifter cover this morning. I'll probably paint it black, but I'm half tempted to just slap a clear coat on it. :greg: I need to get some P R N D 3 1-2 markings on it. Anyone have really nice handwriting?.....

Couldn't Carl's machine cut those out? Then you could put something orange underneath it attached to the shifter for an indicator?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
More of the interior starting to come together. You can see the new cover plates for both the transmission and the transfer case. You can also see the bracket I made for the rail shifter. I also made a giant "mash it with two feet if you need to" brake pedal.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2931 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN2931 (Medium).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN2933 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN2933 (Medium).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 261

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Sunbeams is what they call the 4 year old's class at church :D
They'd do a great job coloring that plate.

Anyways plate looks nice!

Ah, it's a church thing. I see.

I could have Kami cut it out of black or white vinyl...
This might be a great way to go. She can do whatever font and size?

Couldn't Carl's machine cut those out? Then you could put something orange underneath it attached to the shifter for an indicator?

Yeah, I should have drawn the plate entirely in Sketchup, but I didn't want to take the time to figure out the radius of the corners and stuff. I think I just want the letters/numbers stuck/painted/drawn on the plate, and a white line on the shifter rod to indicate which gear it's in. Simple.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
if it were me i'd give my kids a marker and have them draw the P R N D 1-2 on for me, then clear coat it.

That would be cool. My oldest is just starting to learn to write. Maybe I'll leave it for a year or two until they can write legibly.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That looks cool. You could always print up the letters on a thick paper with whatever color and then clear coat over the top of it.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This might be a great way to go. She can do whatever font and size?

Yeah, just let me know what font, and the spacing between shift points. I could just throw it in an envelope and you'd have it by the end of the week :)

thenag

I use paint markers for that type of stuff, I have also put marks on all my jamb nuts and anything else that I want to be able to see if the bolt has loosened up. It does give a little junk yard feel which I don't like but it works and is easy to touch up.

(my handwriting is about as good/bad as a 3rd grader...)

lets see...

DSCN5805.JPG

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I ended up with black vinyl cut stickers in Arial Narrow, size 36, bold. Thanks benjy! They came out exactly as I was hoping. I positioned them where I wanted, then sprayed clear coat on top.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2973 (Small).JPG
    DSCN2973 (Small).JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 196