Coronavirus

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've read about rheumatoid arthritis and malaria studies (lupus too) where prolonged use has lead to death or heart damage requiring transplant due to cardiotoxicity.

Studies like this one below administer the drug for 7-10 days.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32418114/

So, as I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but someone can still be proscribed HCQ to treat these other ailments long term, but it cannot be used to treat covid patients short term?
In the meantime, anyone can sign up now to be a test mule for several different "vaccines" that have been developed and produced in record breaking time.

Hmmmmm.... Take a drug that has been around for like a hundred years and is very well documented on effects and side effects and may or may not cure and or prevent Covid.......or inject yourself with a brand new "vaccine" that will do who knows what to you, and may or may not cure and or prevent Covid.

What if the next move here is the government forcing us all to take the vaccine?

Houndoc

I will admit to being a little defensive when it comes to people questioning medical professionals based on what they have read on the internet. It is one of the banes of current society (I had a client argue with me for 30 minutes recently as to what was wrong with their dog and how it needed to be treated because 'they saw pictures on the internet'.)

I apologize for taking that out on my fellow RME folks at times, especially knowing there are others on here with strong medical and scientific backgrounds.

So, as I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but someone can still be proscribed HCQ to treat these other ailments long term, but it cannot be used to treat covid patients short term?

With any medication the doctor has to weigh KNOWN benefits against KNOWN risks. In many cases the potential for severe side-effects is worth it because of the proven benefits. But risks of harm for an unproven or unlikely benefit is entirely different. However, there is nothing to stop any doctor from prescribing any medication for most any purpose, other than their own restraint knowing they will be liable if the off-label use of a medication (using it in an unproven way) causes harm to a patient.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I will admit to being a little defensive when it comes to people questioning medical professionals based on what they have read on the internet. It is one of the banes of current society (I had a client argue with me for 30 minutes recently as to what was wrong with their dog and how it needed to be treated because 'they saw pictures on the internet'.)

I apologize for taking that out on my fellow RME folks at times, especially knowing there are others on here with strong medical and scientific backgrounds.

With any medication the doctor has to weigh KNOWN benefits against KNOWN risks. In many cases the potential for severe side-effects is worth it because of the proven benefits. But risks of harm for an unproven or unlikely benefit is entirely different. However, there is nothing to stop any doctor from prescribing any medication for most any purpose, other than their own restraint knowing they will be liable if the off-label use of a medication (using it in an unproven way) causes harm to a patient.

Exactly right. What about the pharmacys that’s won’t fill a prescription when they know it’s being used for Covid? Is that ok?

Houndoc

Exactly right. What about the pharmacys that’s won’t fill a prescription when they know it’s being used for Covid? Is that ok?
The only case like that I heard about is a dentist who prescribed it for several family members. In that case, the dentist is practicing outside of his licensure since was not treating dental disease (same thing should happen if I tried writing a prescription for it.). Not saying there have not be others, but if there has I would think the doctor would have a legitimate complaint against the pharmacist.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Is that happening?!
There is a video that I believe was posted in this thread several pages back about a DR. that was about to (or in fear of) loose his license because he kept going against the local board. At one point he talked about the pharmacy's that were asking patients why they were being prescribed HCQ. If they said Covid the pharmacy(s) would not fill it.

J-mobzz

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Maybe for not wearing a mask, or shirt, or shoes. I would think they would be bound to follow doctors orders. I have a prescription that gets filled every month or two. I can't imagine what I would do if the pharmacist said, "nope, I don't think this is right for you".

Houndoc

Found this. Not sure how I feel about a pharmacist questioning a doctors prescription. Like any drug, if the Dr. and patient talk about the drug's good and bad sides and both are in agreement, why should the pharmacist step in? Do they have authority to override a doctor?

Sounds like the key is the number of pills. I can see the pharmacy limiting the supply sold to one customer and requiring a new prescription for refills, especially considering the number of supplies that were hoarded early in the pandemic. Avoiding hoarding of medications does not seem unreasonable.

J-mobzz

Maybe for not wearing a mask, or shirt, or shoes. I would think they would be bound to follow doctors orders. I have a prescription that gets filled every month or two. I can't imagine what I would do if the pharmacist said, "nope, I don't think this is right for you".
It appears like any business they are allow to deny service based on personal beliefs. I personally feel this is morally correct especially in the medical field to not force someone to do something they don’t believe in.

J-mobzz

The other things is personal beliefs can go past saying I don’t think this is right for you. Say you had a Christian owned pharmacy I can’t help but wonder if the feeling would be the same if that pharmacy chose not to fill abortion prescriptions. This freedom thing gets cloudy when we say I want the freedom to do this but they shouldn’t have the freedom to do that.

Jesser04

The other things is personal beliefs can go past saying I don’t think this is right for you. Say you had a Christian owned pharmacy I can’t help but wonder if the feeling would be the same if that pharmacy chose not to fill abortion prescriptions. This freedom thing gets cloudy when we say I want the freedom to do this but they shouldn’t have the freedom to do that.

You left out the part about their freedom to go a different pharmacy.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Reminds me of the gay couple that wanted the wedding cake and the baker wouldn’t do it. Baker lost his business over it.
Guess I’d have to take my prescription to another pharmacy.

Having said that, I feel denial of a cake is a lot different than denial of potentially life saving prescriptions. I’d be ok if pharmacies were held to a different standard.

J-mobzz

Reminds me of the gay couple that wanted the wedding cake and the baker wouldn’t do it. Baker lost his business over it.
Guess I’d have to take my prescription to another pharmacy.

Having said that, I feel denial of a cake is a lot different than denial of potentially life saving prescriptions. I’d be ok if pharmacies were held to a different standard.
Why did he lose his business? Was it because someone took it away? Or was it because the community wasn’t okay supporting him anymore? I don’t actually know but I’m curious.