Coronavirus

4x4_Welder

This whole thing hasn't really changed my lifestyle that much. My kids are going to do online school this year, which in the last few months of last school year helped them quite a bit.
It's been interesting overall though, with how often I have doctor's appointments still, every time I have to answer their little questionnaire about symptoms I end up having to explain I've felt like that for the last year and a half.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My oldest is starting 2nd grade. His school (in JSD) is doing M-Th at school and Fri online. They have the option to do all online but he needs the social interaction.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I see no reason to close the thread, the Coronavirus situation is constantly evolving... long as we can keep it civil, the thread will stay open.

The only good horse to beat is a dead horse. If you're beating a live horse then you're just a dick. :D
This has not even reached the Crabtree Crawlfest level yet.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
We plan to send our oldest to kindergarten which in granite district is half day and mon-fri. He did the same schedule last year with preschool and it worked out pretty well, I pick him up on my way home from work. He was devastated when the schools shut down in the spring. From what I've seen all of the SLCo districts have the option of online OR in person.

My boy has been doing workbooks all summer, not because he needs it but because he is a sponge and LOVES to learn. What he needs from kindergarten is social interaction. My wife and I both suspect that school is going to start, positive tests will spike, and then the schools will shut down again. We'll see.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My kids are going back, I know my elementary student got a notice that they are an hour shorter every day to allow the teachers to provide material for the online students. They also have the option of switching at the end of the trimester to one of the other options for learning. (in person, online, or home school). I have a feeling the first couple weeks there will be drama but after that some kind of normal will be reached and life will move on.

My daughter willl be a freshman in high school this year. We will be sending her back Mon-Thurs and online on Friday. The online classes last year were pretty much a joke. She was able to complete the online work in less than an hour every day. I guess, given the time they were given to come up with it, it was better than nothing. She is a very social person and the bookwork is a minor part of what she needs to be healthy.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We are in Davis. My daughter starts sophomore year this year. She’s doing the online school for the first semester (she has athsma And is not fond of masks-better off than my wife with claustrophobia but not a lot) and REALLY wants to do school without a mask for 2nd semester. We shall see.

With the two days in, 3 days online, I thought she’d change her mind?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We have to decide what our 7y/o is doing by tomorrow... 3 options, hybrid 2 days in school & 3 days home, home based which is 5 day onlineinstruction at home, and distance learning which is essentially homeschooling run by the parents and supported by the school.

The biggest issue for 7y/o is wearing a mask; she absolutely despises it... but she loves school and is a social butterfly. I mean she eats, drinks, and sleeps school, teachers, reading, learning... we’re not sure who she got this love of school from, because it certainly wasn’t us.

This is a very difficult decision for us. If masks were not mandatory this would be a no brained to send her back. It’s her hate for masks that makes this tough. I’d love it if the crown would allow school kids to go without masks.

@Cody, daycares were closed for about a month or so unless they met certain criteria to remain open to care for ‘essential workers’ kids. Jacey worked at a daycare when this hit and was furloughed for about 6wks, then decided not to go back when they opened back up.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We decided a couple weeks ago to enroll our son who will be a junior this year into online school. We are doing it through K12.com. My main reason for doing it is exactly what we are seeing right now with districts not 100% committed to a plan. His junior and senior years are pretty important and the last thing I want is for him to fall behind because they do not have a solid plan on how to teach remotely.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My wife is starting as an assistant principal at an elementary in Granite this year after 10 years of teaching Jr. High. She was fairly successful teaching during the shutdown, but her team had already been pretty forward thinking about interactive learning so transitioning wasn't as hard as other teams in her school. That said, she taught at a Title 1 school, so her biggest struggle was actually getting kids to get online for the lessons and turning them in; she only had 30%-40% attendance.

Moving to administration in an elementary school during a pandemic has been quite stressful for her. As of right now, Granite is the only district planning on going back to school 100% in person. Trying to figure out how to comply with the various health mandates while keeping kids safe, and parents and teachers happy is no small task. Her school had registration the last two days had she said that is was about half of what they expected, which is not good.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Alpine SD is also 5 days in school and the teachers are beyond upset because it forces them to carry double duties with grading those who selected the home based programs.

This morning our 7y/o expressed that she wanted to try going to school first (the plan you select you have to commit the entire first quarter before opting to change). So we told her to try wearing a mask on/off for the day, much like she would in class (they’re not required to wear masks 100% of the time), and we’d see how she feels. 10min in she gave the mask to my wife and declared she’ll try home based learning first.

she struggled in her earlier years with sensitivity to fabrics on her skin, and while she’s been long out of that we’ve found that any mask causes her great discomfort in much the same way, which obviously then makes her frustrated.

So, home based learning for us, which we’re perfectly fine with. We’ve talked with a few neighbors that have similar aged children that are also doing distance learning/home based programs about getting together daily for recess.

life will go on.

J-mobzz

That said, she taught at a Title 1 school, so her biggest struggle was actually getting kids to get online for the lessons and turning them in; she only had 30%-40% attendance.
This is my kids. Unless I’m sitting there watching them they typically are not doing what they should. I wish it was as easy as offering a reward for doing well or punishment for not doing it but unfortunately that’s just not how my twins work.
Its definitely stressful and makes me feel like an awful parent for not being able to have the free time to do school work all day.

The other thing is having twins I had two kids in different classes at the same school. You would think some consistency would be had. As 6th graders one of them had 4-7 hours of work to do daily while the other was only assigned less than half that. That was a massive struggle to have one zipping through work while the other was overloaded. I hope middle school offers more balance for them.

Houndoc

My kids are all in college- 2 at USU, one at BYU. BYU will be mix of in person (1/3 class in person each day), online live sessions and recording on-line. USU is also talking 'hybrid' but with out as much detail yet.
When they went online spring semester, my daughter loved it (USU) and my son didn't at all (BYU). Other daughter has done online classes over the summer with mixed feelings.

Tonkaman

Anyway, my concern is for my daughter because she'll be changing schools from Challenger for K to public. This is a hell of an intro to public elementary school.

My best friend just transitioned his kids out of challenger last year in grades 4 and 1. It was pretty tough on them because they felt like they were held back. They were easily a grade more advanced than the rest of the class. I’d stay in challenger if you can stomach the price tag.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
See, I'm not posting on my beliefs, don't read me like that. I am listening, critically-thinking, and asking questions. My opinions aren't static because I am always learning. I'm not the same guy I was at the start of this debacle. I'm not the same guy I was last week. That might be hard to understand, but I work very hard to improve and grow.

Great news! According to Forbes, you don't have to think critically anymore!

(I'm being sarcastic in case anybody really missed it here)

Pike2350

UT410....no offense but you come across in some of your posts a little holier than thou. I don't think you are really this easy...just how it reads with the "I do my research....I'm dedicated to listen, I am respectful" etc. I get the passive aggressive.comments from Houndoc as well
...just saying that there is a fair bit of passive aggressive verbage to go around.

Here's an article I found interesting. I try to find ones wither outside the US or at least from a little less politicized sources of that's really possible.

Now I don't know that Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work....but I do think the fact that according to this article, the largest study to date in the world...in the UK says it didnt really have much affect. It also says that much of the criticism of the tests and trials has to do with the small subject size as well as not being the standard double blind test. Everything is being rushed and that is causing a lot of doubt as to the accuracy of things....IMHO

Now I do think there is a lot that has been derailed by the politics and bureaucracy of things...but I would hope that most Dr's speak and act with integrity...but I also realize that that may be a lot to hope for in today's world

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

" Other hydroxychloroquine studies have raised eyebrows too. Another analysis, published in The Lancet on 22 May, that suggested that the drug can cause a potentially lethal irregular heartbeat ended up being pulled."

I have heard this statement a few times. The drug is can mess up your heartbeat so you cannot use it. What I haven't been able to find out is if the drug only messes up the heartbeat of Covid patients or those with malaria or lupus too? If it does mess up malaria and lupus patients, what are they doing about that? Can they not do the same for Covid patients? If I or a loved one was about to die from Covid, I wouldn't be too worried about an irregular heartbeat. I take meds almost daily for an irregular heartbeat. No big deal.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Great news! According to Forbes, you don't have to think critically anymore!

(I'm being sarcastic in case anybody really missed it here)

I love scientists. They always have an out. "It's science. It's always changing....." But now we have to put our brains away and just take them at their word because we are not smart enough. I'm sure glad they didn't listen to the "scientists" screaming the world was flat. We'd all be in Europe right now.