Coronavirus

Jesser04

Numbers getting to me today... https://www.ksl.com/article/50017545
Shows we have an average of 522 cases a day.
3,200,000 people in the state
at current rate if everyone gets it we have 6130 days of this and we're in about 150 at this point? :rolleyes: (about 16 years). I guess we'll be done about the time I retire.
If we open up and take the masks off I bet we can cut that time frame in half.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

On that note, Oahu is still on lockdown. The big island beach closure to "protect" us from an outbreak over labor day that was scheduled for two weeks.... for labor day.... :thinking: shocker was just extended two weeks. My wife came here to visit and timed her arrival to coincide with her quarantine ending on the day the closure was supposed to stop. Well its was just extended to cover her entire duration here.

They are giving businesses a false sense of hope again today saying they will allow transpacific travel again with pretesting on Oct 15. I'm sure they will change their minds again around the 10th and cost businesses even more money like they did in August. Ohh and they are talking about allowing transpacific travel but they are still requiring residents to quarantine when traveling interisland to visit family or shop. Ya know because an island that has had zero cases for months make sense to make them quarantine to go to a different island to shop for food. (which they aren't allowed to do until they've quarantined for 14 days then have to quarantine for another 14 days when they return home. )

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
On that note, Oahu is still on lockdown. The big island beach closure to "protect" us from an outbreak over labor day that was scheduled for two weeks.... for labor day.... :thinking: shocker was just extended two weeks. My wife came here to visit and timed her arrival to coincide with her quarantine ending on the day the closure was supposed to stop. Well its was just extended to cover her entire duration here.

They are giving businesses a false sense of hope again today saying they will allow transpacific travel again with pretesting on Oct 15. I'm sure they will change their minds again around the 10th and cost businesses even more money like they did in August. Ohh and they are talking about allowing transpacific travel but they are still requiring residents to quarantine when traveling interisland to visit family or shop. Ya know because an island that has had zero cases for months make sense to make them quarantine to go to a different island to shop for food. (which they aren't allowed to do until they've quarantined for 14 days then have to quarantine for another 14 days when they return home. )

Magnum would have never put up with this.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Magnum would have never put up with this.

Funny you bring that up, I can't go to the beach or go on a hike but they have resumed filming. My co-workers on Oahu can't leave their house aside to exercise, get food or work. But hey we can film

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Funny you bring that up, I can't go to the beach or go on a hike but they have resumed filming. My co-workers on Oahu can't leave their house aside to exercise, get food or work. But hey we can film
This is the only Magnum I acknowledge:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member

The canyon districts school plan was to shut down at 15 cases, the high school is at 42 but they haven't closed down. My wife who is still on maternity for another week was told the teachers were planning a walk out to all go get tested. That was a couple days ago so I don't know if the plans changed or were delayed.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
That certainly may be the truth and more or less aligns with my position (that masks don't make a significant enough difference to justify the use), but it doesn't take an elementary knowledge of statistics to see how those numbers don't mean anything without the relevant population data. What % of the population is wearing a mask? What % of the positive cases were in larger, more densely populated urban areas? Without that data, the numbers are completely meaningless.

Videlicet, if I were to say to you 99% of people wear masks, and 15% of all COVID cases come from people self-reporting not wearing masks....what does that say? If 50% of people wear masks, and 85% of cases are self reporting wearing masks, that says something totally different. Obviously sample size would tell you how statistically significant that data point would be, and using arbitrary and unquantifiable terms like "sometimes" and "always" basically makes the data useless, but considering the other clue's on that biased click-bait news site, I would have to say that this is little more than statistical cherry picking (which happens equally on both sides of the issue FWIW) meant to pander to their very specific demographic. The people that read "news" sites like that already have their mind made up, so all the outlet has to do is write a story about what they know their readers want to hear. There is no need for journalistic integrity when that's your game. I could write those opinion pieces in my sleep.

I live in an urban area, generally more liberal, where more/most of COVID cases are happening in Utah. I'm out and about every day and I'd estimate that at least 85% of people (I'd say closer to 95%) are wearing masks when they are out. Obviously I have no way to know how they handle personal/social/family group settings and masks (nor do we know what each individual considers "always" or "often" Just socially? With family? With close friends? what are the qualifications? It's a poorly constructed survey to begin with). To me, the 85% of COVID cases are from people wearing masks probably passes the gut test. Now, the real story is actually what's in the margins here. So if we agree that the % of people wearing masks and the % of people with COVID reporting themselves as mask wearers are probably pretty close, then what % in either direction does the mask protocol skew the data? If it actually causes more cases, obviously that's bad. If it prevents say, 1% or 2% or 5% or whatever of cases, extrapolated across a large population base, does that % represent a significant enough decrease to justify the practice? I don't know how to calculate that (and before Geography Joe chimes in, neither does anyone else here or perhaps anywhere considering how the answers would change based upon how you value the different things it impacts), but I do know that taking obviously manipulated data points and painting them across a headline on any liberal or conservative news outlet is certainly not going to help parse through that data to find the real truth. As much as you want to believe otherwise, neither position on this has real statistics to back up their position.

Last edited: