Coronavirus

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
And we thank you for understanding the position we are in. 1%ers like LT who think they should be able to get what they want because they can spend in such unfathomable ways to us small folk, don't seem to understand the struggle.

And we fight amongst ourselves as unelected bureaucrats at the health department threaten your livelyhood. It's all pretty f#*&'n sad.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I drive through every western state except Texas on a regular basis. I would say Utah is pretty decent with the restrictions AS COMPARED TO OTHER STATES. Every state except California is pretty much the same situation, the bigger cities have more people wearing masks and more signs demanding that you conform. Once you get more rural, it drops off pretty fast and you only see masks on people who are working for a company that's big enough to have multiple locations and a corporate policy on mask wearing.

California seems to almost ramp up the propaganda in smaller towns and it kinda creeps me out to drive through and see every single person on the sidewalks of Bishop, CA wearing a mask.

J-mobzz

Looks like I get to join the club. I woke up sick Saturday and did a drive through testing center. I’ve been quarantining since but my positive results came in today.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like I get to join the club. I woke up sick Saturday and did a drive through testing center. I’ve been quarantining since but my positive results came in today.

Damnit! RME members have been getting hit hard lately. Keep us posted, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully your experience is like Carl's and its not much more than cold-like symptoms.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If it makes you guys feel better, I used all of you sickos as a weapon when I let my boss know how unhappy I was that they sent my truck out with another driver today. I used a whole can of Lysol that I've been saving for a special occasion when I got the truck back tonight.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Cruiseroutfitter- I did not call. I just happened to remember about your support and that you were in the area. I just stopped by and was wanting to meet you and see your store. That was all. When i saw the posting on the door i was discouraged that these trying times has been difficult for you. I expected quite the opposite. Boat sales, camper sales, fishing licenses, etc, are all up.

Copy, wish you would have called 95% of the time someone can break loose and assist within 5-10mins. We all do lunch together as a team on Friday so it’s entirely possible you came around lunch too. As for business, we are in fact busier than ever, more employees in the shop and on the phones. That has made appointments even more paramount. While some customers just need a quick part and can be in/out in a few minutes, others spend a few hours setting up a full vehicle build and we can’t shutter our phone and internet sales to accomodate all modes if that makes sense. Again, appts are nothing new for us, we’ve been consistently busy for 15 years and had appointments since then :D

J-mobzz

Damnit! RME members have been getting hit hard lately. Keep us posted, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully your experience is like Carl's and its not much more than cold-like symptoms.
Thanks! honestly I feel completely normal now. Saturday sucked, Sunday was about 50% of Saturday and I woke up today with mild aches in my legs that where gone by noon.

J-mobzz

You fellas with Covid, were/are you mask wearers? Do you think there was anything you could have done to avoid it?
So for me Im considered a field employee and work remotely even before covid hit. I have been good about wearing a mask and keeping distance but last week they had me go into the office Wednesday and Friday to make a video for a new product we released today. As the one talking in the video I wasn’t wearing a mask while recording. The people helping were about 50/50 on wearing a mask.
But honestly who knows? It could have been there or somewhere else. I don’t know what impact masks actually make. I wasn’t living my life in fear of getting it by any means and after having it I’m glad I wasn’t. For me I was one crappy day and one kinda crappy day. I’ll take that in exchange for all the life I’ve lived since April.

4x4_Welder

If it makes you guys feel better, I used all of you sickos as a weapon when I let my boss know how unhappy I was that they sent my truck out with another driver today. I used a whole can of Lysol that I've been saving for a special occasion when I got the truck back tonight.
Just don't spray the suspension dump switch. It's not sealed, and if it shorts it takes out all the auxiliary function switches including hazards. It'll either lock them on or off.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So for me Im considered a field employee and work remotely even before covid hit. I have been good about wearing a mask and keeping distance but last week they had me go into the office Wednesday and Friday to make a video for a new product we released today. As the one talking in the video I wasn’t wearing a mask while recording. The people helping were about 50/50 on wearing a mask.
But honestly who knows? It could have been there or somewhere else. I don’t know what impact masks actually make. I wasn’t living my life in fear of getting it by any means and after having it I’m glad I wasn’t. For me I was one crappy day and one kinda crappy day. I’ll take that in exchange for all the life I’ve lived since April.

I find myself constantly going back and forth on my Covid opinion. Admittedly in denial about it or just ignorant. Mostly denial.

As I sit here in quarantine, either waiting for symptoms to show (None yet) or for my scheduled test tomorrow, I can’t help but think about what you said. It’s now real for my family so my views have probably changed again. Unfortunately we don’t get to choose how Covid will affect us. I could get a day long cold or die. Or worse, I could get a day long cold and my wife dies. We have lived this year almost exactly as we lived last year. Some might say careless given the situation I now face.
I guess it all comes down to the level of risk we are comfortable with.

Reminds me of several months ago. I was working in my garage and my wife kind of rushed out to the car to leave. She obviously didn’t want to really talk to me. I stopped her and kind of probed her a bit. She dodged. I pressed more. She finally told me she was going out to buy a pregnancy test. We didn’t say much after that. She came home and several minutes later she came out to report all was well. We really felt like we dodged a bullet. But we put ourselves in the situation and weren’t careful. Had the results gone the other way it would be hard to say the risk was still worth it.

We need to live our lives for sure, but I don’t think we can be carefree about doing it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I find myself constantly going back and forth on my Covid opinion. Admittedly in denial about it or just ignorant. Mostly denial.

As I sit here in quarantine, either waiting for symptoms to show (None yet) or for my scheduled test tomorrow, I can’t help but think about what you said. It’s now real for my family so my views have probably changed again. Unfortunately we don’t get to choose how Covid will affect us. I could get a day long cold or die. Or worse, I could get a day long cold and my wife dies. We have lived this year almost exactly as we lived last year. Some might say careless given the situation I now face.
I guess it all comes down to the level of risk we are comfortable with.

Reminds me of several months ago. I was working in my garage and my wife kind of rushed out to the car to leave. She obviously didn’t want to really talk to me. I stopped her and kind of probed her a bit. She dodged. I pressed more. She finally told me she was going out to buy a pregnancy test. We didn’t say much after that. She came home and several minutes later she came out to report all was well. We really felt like we dodged a bullet. But we put ourselves in the situation and weren’t careful. Had the results gone the other way it would be hard to say the risk was still worth it.

We need to live our lives for sure, but I don’t think we can be carefree about doing it.

I just had this conversation with a coworker from St Joe office that's here in SLC for some meetings. My take is we will ALL be exposed to the virus at some point. Our bodies will fight it off and we won't even know, we might get slightly sick or we could get seriously sick and have a possible fatal reaction. It's a potentially deadly virus wrought on the population. We lose people every year to the flu. This is more deadly than all flu years in our lifetimes but still statistically similar (depending on models you look at 2-5 times worse than a "bad" flu year).

As a society we have chosen to over react to this one for whatever reason. The more people I'm learning that have had it, have NOT had a serious problem with it. I do know of a few folks that it's really knocked down and don't know any people personally that have died from it. I know there are people on the board that do have loved ones affected and I'm truly sorry for their situations.

Is all this "prevention" a fools errand? Won't we all be exposed to the virus at some point? I believe we will all be exposed. Who will be the first to take a vaccine? Is the vaccine worse than just taking your chances? Should high risk folks take a vaccine? These seem to be the risks you're talking about. We take risks ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The original narrative for masks was to slow the spread to avoid overwhelming the hospitals with those people that get severe symptoms.
On another note, there seems to be a correlation between vitamin D3 levels and the severity of the reaction; When D3 levels are high, the severity is lessened. I've taken 5000IU of D3 for the last 15 years.. could explain why my symptoms were so mild.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My risk of dying from some random virus is not any higher today than it was a year ago, the only difference is I know the name of one specific virus that has killed a relatively small number of people.

Avoiding death is not the equivalent of living

Sure it is. There is one more virus this year than last year that could kill you. Your risk is whatever percentage higher because if that.

Your last statement is an opinion that you seem to be trying to include everyone in. For me personally I would agree. For my nearly crippled father in-law avoiding death one more day is living one more day to be with his family. To him that’s all that matters.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My risk of dying from some random virus is not any higher today than it was a year ago

Seems like a dumb thought. If nothing else, it's one more virus added to the possible death list, and therefore increasing your risk. Also, it's specifically killed millions that wouldn't have died without it.

I'm not saying you have a huge risk and should freak out.. I'm just saying that risk HAS in fact increased.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Also, it's specifically killed millions that wouldn't have died without it.
Not entirely true. A significant number of the people that have died from it carry some pretty serious co-morbidities that very well could have died from the seasonal Influenza or other illness. It was referenced earlier in this thread, only a very small number of death's can be attributed to a cytokine storm. This is what causes the massive organ failure in people that have no co-morbidity factors.

I am not in any way saying that this virus is not serious, just that it is not so deadly that we need to live in fear. If you know you have high risk factors, then live your life in the manner that you see fit to protect yourself or your loved ones and let the rest of us live our lives the way we see fit.