Coronavirus

Houndoc

Someone up above again made a comparison to the flu.

That really needs to stop.

As I mentioned before, most likely more people will die of the flu than COVID-19.

But the risk of rapid spread is far higher with any new virus since there is zero "herd immunity " among the population since we all lack previous exposure.

But death rate, on average, is running about 6%, yet much higher in at risk populations.

No need for panic but certainly calls for common sense and some extra measures such as limiting large group gatherings and such.

4x4_Welder

I don't know sh*t but I do know colds kill, too.

Except when your immune system is compromised they don't call it a cold.

No matter what... everyone is going to have a different perspective.

If undoubtedly you don't want yourself or your kids exposed, reduce your interaction with other people.

Be self reliant and don't expect others to respect your best interests...

Because, guess what? They won't.

So we may find others disrespectful but I go out and do my thing taking 100% responsibility for myself. Also, don't assume others are smart enough or forward thinking enough to protect you or your family.
Last year when I was on chemo I caught a cold. It was really bad. Deep bad cough, couldn't catch my breath. It was worse than when I had pneumonia.
It didn't help that they kept the building doors open until 10pm or so.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Here we go. KSL says:

The Salt Lake Health Department said 11 of those cases are adults over the age of 18 and three are children. Two of the children attended Hunter High School in West Valley City and Entheos Academy, a charter school with campuses in Magna and Kearns, while symptomatic. Both school communities have been notified of the potential exposure to the virus.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight

Best article I’ve read laying down the facts on why all the social distancing measures needed to happen as fast as they did. Recommended reading for those who think all of this is unfounded media hype.
TL;DR: way more people are actually infected than official reported cases suggest

str8axleguy

I have been listening to CNN’s Coronavirus podcast, it’s very informative and concise. Definitely worth a listen to get a handle on actual information.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
But death rate, on average, is running about 6%, yet much higher in at risk populations.

C'mon, I don't think this needs to be hyped up more than it already is. The WHO is saying mortality rate is 3-4% of reported deaths/reported cases. Reports out of Italy and China are that only the extreme cases and elderly are being tested. This is going to drastically overstate mortality rate. Average age of reported deaths in Italy is 80 years old. Not to downplay the tragedy of deaths of vulnerable population, but to say 6% without qualifications is fear mongering

Tonkaman

Best article I’ve read laying down the facts on why all the social distancing measures needed to happen as fast as they did. Recommended reading for those who think all of this is unfounded media hype.
TL;DR: way more people are actually infected than official reported cases suggest
Dang that’s a great article! Thanks for sharing

str8axleguy

Totally agree, with minimal testing done mortality rate is at most 4%. With a lot of infected going untested the rate will likely drop as testing is more widespread.

joez

No need for panic but certainly calls for common sense and some extra measures such as limiting large group gatherings and such.

Death rate is at under 3.3% globally. Had been declining, but now ramped back to that point with Italy. The more people get tested, the more the number will continue to drop.

And people compare to the flu, due to the number the flu kills every year, with zero concern.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The mortality rate is definitely inflated since many show no symptoms. However, even if the rate ends at 1% it is still a big deal. That is 10 times higher than the flu.

I agree that the media is over hyping. They over hype everything. The thing is, overhype is a good thing in this case. People are slow to act. Distancing and increased hygiene need to happen.

The response has been fairly quick in the US and the shutdown of so many large gathering will make a big difference. I hope when this is all over all the people that thought this wasn’t a big deal can say,”see I told you this wouldn’t be so bad”. That means the measures taken were enough. Enough people listened even though many didn’t.

Corban_White

So what is the end game here? We need distancing, we need quarantine, why? The only thing it does is flatten the curve. Instead of everyone getting sick at once, we drag it out. Sure, this keeps the hospitals from being completely overwhelmed, but that's it! When you (eventually) come out of isolation, the virus is still out there. You still have no immunity. I listened to the Joe Rogan clip posted above so I could be "informed" with the "facts" and was disappointed that his expert didn't offer any recommendations so I went and found the whole 90 minute podcast and listened to that, where he STILL didn't really give any recommendations. He mostly says that we should have been more prepared and if we read his book published several years ago we would see he was right. He even said he didn't think closing schools was a great idea. Basically, the only way covid-19 goes away is once the majority of the Earth's population has had it! Don't think hiding away is going to keep you safe, it only delays the inevitable. Good for the health care system, bad for pretty much everything else. Vaccine is years out, heath care providers can't really do anything for you except in extreme cases they can put you on a ventilator, iv, etc. to help your body heal. Which is really the issue here. People hate to be helpless, so we do something, even if it's wrong. Especially governments, because if they do nothing they get crucified. People hate inaction, but as far as I can tell, there is no end game. Most people are going to get it, some will die. We can accept it and move on, or we can fight like crazy, cause a whole bunch of other issues with long term, far reaching effects, and still have most people get it with some of them dying. I choose to accept it and move on. I realize that puts me in the minority, and my acceptance of it in no way means that I will not follow the recommendations if I or my family become sick. We will stay away and do our best to be socially responsible. But in the meantime, we are going about our life. YMMV

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I agree that the media is over hyping. They over hype everything. The thing is, overhype is a good thing in this case. People are slow to act. Distancing and increased hygiene need to happen.

The response has been fairly quick in the US and the shutdown of so many large gathering will make a big difference. I hope when this is all over all the people that thought this wasn’t a big deal can say,”see I told you this wouldn’t be so bad”. That means the measures taken were enough. Enough people listened even though many didn’t.

The overhype is what is causing all the problems, if they had let this be another flu like event, people would have gone about their daily lives and the medical community would not have been overwhelmed. Now everyone thinks they need a test and to go get immediate medical attention and that's what will overwhelm the system. The supply chain is being interrupted needlessly, you think people are behaving badly when the market runs out of TP, wait until it's food.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So what is the end game here? We need distancing, we need quarantine, why? The only thing it does is flatten the curve.

The flattening the curve is the reason now. The media has hyped this up to black plague threat level so everyone and their dog wants to be tested overwhelming hospitals/clinics and there just isn't enough to test 300 million people. Maybe in a month there will be enough tests but not today. If you look at symptoms it's just cough, fever, shortness of breath. Sounds like a normal day with the inversion.

Wife thought she was getting ahead of things and had a order for Smiths Click-list in for our normal groceries three days ago, we went to pick it up last night and they has about 1/4 of the order. No milk/eggs/bread. She promptly went into panic, cursing the Kroger gods, ended up taking her to the associated foods down the street and they have a limit on eggs/milk/etc and we bought some there. I did notice all the Twinkies were gone so maybe Zombieland is a more accurate movie than I wanted to admit.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
So what is the end game here? We need distancing, we need quarantine, why? The only thing it does is flatten the curve. Instead of everyone getting sick at once, we drag it out. Sure, this keeps the hospitals from being completely overwhelmed, but that's it!
Don't think hiding away is going to keep you safe, it only delays the inevitable. Good for the health care system, bad for pretty much everything else. Vaccine is years out, heath care providers can't really do anything for you except in extreme cases they can put you on a ventilator, iv, etc. to help your body heal.
ummm...these are not trivial reasons for everyone to take the social distancing guidelines seriously. If the hospitals are overwhelmed, MUCH more people die. If we flatten the curve, so when people do need hospitalization they get it, the death rate goes way down. As in, .9% mortality vs 4%. One dude they tracked in South Korea infected over 1000 people before he started showing symptoms; it’s not responsible to ignore all the guidelines from the experts, just because you think they’re simply trying to look busy rather than, say, actually knowing what they’re talking about.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Being infected =/= needing medical care or dying, that's the hype. The medical system would not be overwhelmed if this were not being hyped to the n* like it's the plague. Has anyone actually looked at the reports of those confirmed people? Many never felt it was necessary to seek medical attention. Unless of course you have some risk factors, and then you have the same concerns you always would with the flu or a chest cold.

Far more people will have their lives destroyed by the economic impact of this.