Coronavirus

Houndoc

Question for the business owners since I cannot find a clear answer online.

If a company is receiving cares act funding can they charge an employee sick PTO if they are out because of covid exposure?

I have this code on my paycheck.

What is FF PSL EE pay?
Families First Employee Pay- (ADP code is FF-PSL-EE) To be used if the employee is unable to work due to being quarantined (due to a Federal, State, or local government order or advice of a healthcare provider), and/or experiencing COVID19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis.

Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
The FFCRA generally requires employers with less than 500 employees to provide a certain amount of paid sick and paid leave to employees affected by COVID-19, and provides affected employers with a corresponding employment tax credit. In addition, the FFCRA temporarily expands Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requirements to offer protected leave related to the coronavirus.

But was also charged PTO but not paid for the PTO
My experience/understanding is that the company is only eligible for 80 hours pay reimbursement for each specific employee. Those who may be out multiple time for potential exposure will not be covered again. That may give the employer the right to either have you out as paid or unpaid time off.

I have had several of those, but have made the decision to pay the employee their regular wage while they are in quarantine as I would much rather my staff be honest and stay home than risk exposing the rest the staff because they need the money. I have a small staff (about 10) and have probably paid out of pocket a total of about 300 hours.

But we have had zero positive cases among the staff and have been able to remain open and functioning so figure it is a good investment (I have known several veterinary clinics that have had to completely shut down for 2 weeks because of outbreaks.)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I know many of you are not interested in the vaccine and I DO NOT CARE but for anybody that is, I was told about this and I found it helpful enough to share.

If you're scheduling on vaccinate.utah.gov you can schedule one for the first time you see and then click "reschedule appointment" and it will bring up a search function. click search over and over like every second and watch for a sooner time, click that time, scroll down and click reschedule. I was able to move my time (and my wife's) up by a couple weeks just doing this for like 10 minutes. I saw times for today and tomorrow come up, it just takes patience. it's like a game :rofl:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I know many of you are not interested in the vaccine and I DO NOT CARE but for anybody that is, I was told about this and I found it helpful enough to share.

If you're scheduling on vaccinate.utah.gov you can schedule one for the first time you see and then click "reschedule appointment" and it will bring up a search function. click search over and over like every second and watch for a sooner time, click that time, scroll down and click reschedule. I was able to move my time (and my wife's) up by a couple weeks just doing this for like 10 minutes. I saw times for today and tomorrow come up, it just takes patience. it's like a game :rofl:
Going for that free krispy kreme huh?

J-mobzz

Awesome tip. I got my first one the first week of March. I just checked the Walgreens by my house and they had tons of same day appointments so I got it like an hour after scheduling.
From the sound of it, it was going to be difficult to get but my experience showed otherwise.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Awesome tip. I got my first one the first week of March. I just checked the Walgreens by my house and they had tons of same day appointments so I got it like an hour after scheduling.
From the sound of it, it was going to be difficult to get but my experience showed otherwise.
Yeah I’ve heard of people having good luck with that but then others are scheduling appts for like a month out. It’s wild

Seth

These go to 11
I thought the mask was to protect others. So I should be able to stop wearing getting shamed for not wearing my mask after everyone that wants to is vaccinated?
There is policy and then there is practicality. As a matter of policy there is no way for a business to validate vaccination/post infection status. So you will see the masks hang around for a while yet. On the practical side for the window post infection and prior to ani-bodies wearing off you should be peachy. But therein lies the issue.

From the empirical data we have to this point it we can't conclude how long the vaccine is effective. We also don't know how long anti-bodies from getting the virus hang around. It could be 90 days, it could be a year, they could always be effective. We just don't know.

We have lost family, have had my daughters friend (9 years old) incur life long damage, and seen the mental anguish of friends that lost family when they brought it home. So I am acutely aware of the impact to some.

This virus is such an abstract thing for most. It is not real until it is on your doorstep. So while some may view these measures as pointless and/or an infringement on personal liberty, I choose to look at the human cost to validate my decisions. I am willing to reduce that risk in a situation there the unknowns justify it or if a business requires it. Sure, It is a pain, and my glasses fog constantly, but whatever. It is the absolute least I can do.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Seth, great post. It's unfortunate to read about the impact this has had on you. I will continue to wear my mask as people/stores require it and remove it the second I can.

I am still very hung up and frustrated with the over the top response to this virus. I have to assume there is a magic death number that must be reached, or feared of being reached to justify such action. And for other crisis's like deaths from smoking or from second hand smoke, deaths from DUI, obesity, heart disease, etc. just haven't quite reached that magic number so no real action is taken. Perhaps those actions would be too close to home for our politicians?

Seth

These go to 11
This has been a wildly unsuccessful reaction at so many levels. Fear and good intentions can overwrite reason in short order and it happened in spades with this. There are downstream effects of how this was handled that are going to impact us for decades. You can't stop the economy wholesale and not have huge effects. Most of those affects haven't even been felt yet. So there is a flip side to how this was done - with arguably equal negatives. Hindsight is 2020 (see what I did there?) and lots of things could have been handled differently. But it is difficult to build the plane while trying to fly it.

I don't fault leads for trying to do their best. However, I do have an issue with those who wilfully, or out of ignorance, misrepresent information. Nobody is perfect. I am by no means perfect. And given the choice, i'll skip the mask. Anyone on the trail runs I have been on can tell you that. I just caution people to take everything with a grain of salt. Understand the motivation behind what you read. Do a little homework. There are a ton of people putting their life on the line everyday. To disrespect them is akin to disrespecting our troops IMHO. This is a war after all, as different as the battlefield may look.

We have a friend, a nurse, that has contracted the virus twice through her exposure at work. And we have friends and family that are really struggling to keep their small business afloat. It suck all around. There are real impacts to people. I would just say, be nice to people, help where you can, and if they ask, put a mask on. It's not about you. It's about those that are struggling.