EcoBoost

Coco

Thats crazy, I have always stressed a bit about high boost/low RPM when pulling. I feel like it would just heat up like you're experiencing. Even on my older diesels I didn't like to overwork the turbos, that would just increase EGTs and cause issues there.

RockChucker

So I just heard from the shop (Barney Brothers here in GJ) that the radiator was clogged with all kinds of gunk, externally! They were able to flush it out and it seems to be cooling like normal again. I'll need to hook up the trailer and verify that we're good to go.

I did a lot of reading on forums and this is a common issue, guys have replaced water pumps & thermostats and no fix. I did see that Mishimoto radiator and the increased cooling, but did read a post where a guy has installed that radiator and not long after install, one of the seams split and dropped all the coolant! :eek:
I've been getting by on my duramax by flushing the fins every spring because i have been avoiding a disassembly and thorough cleaning of the cooling stack. very similar issue sounds like.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So I just heard from the shop (Barney Brothers here in GJ) that the radiator was clogged with all kinds of gunk, externally! They were able to flush it out and it seems to be cooling like normal again. I'll need to hook up the trailer and verify that we're good to go.
I had this happen to my dodge many years ago. I ended up making a little nozzle that I could fish down and spray gunk out of the radiator every so often. Helped a TON!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thats crazy, I have always stressed a bit about high boost/low RPM when pulling. I feel like it would just heat up like you're experiencing. Even on my older diesels I didn't like to overwork the turbos, that would just increase EGTs and cause issues there.

I've been getting by on my duramax by flushing the fins every spring because i have been avoiding a disassembly and thorough cleaning of the cooling stack. very similar issue sounds like.

I had this happen to my dodge many years ago. I ended up making a little nozzle that I could fish down and spray gunk out of the radiator every so often. Helped a TON!

So the shop said there were 3 other trucks (different brands) that had the same issue last week that they flushed the radiators on, Cottonwood seed floating around in the air, plus Ash from recent fires in the area have compounded the problem and have been plugging up radiators. We have a Cottonwood tree on our property and there are many others around the neighborhood.

So instead of spending $700 for a cooling system flush, new water pump & thermostat I spend $120 for a very thorough radiator wash. I'll take it!

I'll have to be more on top of flushing out the radiator in our vehicles more often.

rholbrook

Mine was doing the same thing but I have never had a flush in 188K miles so I just had that done. Also had my to OE belts changed. I will run it to the car wash and see if I can spray it clean unless you can think of a better way to do it.

Greg

Admin
Mine was doing the same thing but I have never had a flush in 188K miles so I just had that done. Also had my to OE belts changed. I will run it to the car wash and see if I can spray it clean unless you can think of a better way to do it.

Perhaps spray some kind of degreaser on the radiator to break the crud loose. Be careful with hing pressure though, itsy fold over the fins.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Experienced both your failures in my po-lice ride. Throttle body seems to be a very common occurrence. Same with the over heating. I even over heated it pulling a trailer in the dead of winter. I love the eco boost but was apprehensive with the experiences I had in my work truck after I sold my personal truck which is why I bought a 5.0 this time.

First time of two throttle bodies in 90k. Thankfully was near sub station and was able to coast/idle down.

35132F8F-B634-4634-BFE2-5600C5099CCD.jpeg

If you got hot enough to reduce power mode check your flange nuts on the turbo, I lost one in two different occasions. Thought the turbo bearings had crapped out could hear a whine.

Coco

Experienced both your failures in my po-lice ride. Throttle body seems to be a very common occurrence. Same with the over heating. I even over heated it pulling a trailer in the dead of winter. I love the eco boost but was apprehensive with the experiences I had in my work truck after I sold my personal truck which is why I bought a 5.0 this time.

First time of two throttle bodies in 90k. Thankfully was near sub station and was able to coast/idle down.

View attachment 138661

If you got hot enough to reduce power mode check your flange nuts on the turbo, I lost one in two different occasions. Thought the turbo bearings had crapped out could hear a whine.
That sucks. My uncle is with UPD as well, and one of our mutual buddies retired a few years back from UPD as well.

*sorry for the side track* 😅

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Fu*king Ford... we left for our vacation, travel trailer in tow. It's still getting hot as hell, derating engine power and pulling down 6-7 mpg. We almost got to Nevada before saying eff it and turned around. I'm beyond pissed.
Greg, were you running higher octane fuel?
I'm curious because the 1 time my truck has done that I was running 93 instead of the usual 85. I was pulling the grade from Heber to Strawberry reservoir (as I had done many times) in about 95* temps. I was just wondering if the 93 allowed the ECU to lean the mixture a bit more and produce more heat.

I just got back from the GTT 2021 and still love my truck.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I haven't towed all that much, but the few times I have I didn't have any overheating problems. I pulled a 7500 lb camp trailer in June, do I would have tgought that would do it.

I just had brakes, coolant, plugs, and wires all done. Seems to be running great sith 95k on it right now. I do get a little stutter when really under load.. I was passing going up parleys when I last noticed it. Hopefully it doesn't become a bigger problem.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Sorry Greg that’s sad to hear for sure 😔

I’m not familiar with the ecoboost or this company but the pics alone look to be a big upgrade. https://www.vividracing.com/full-ra...-ford-f150-ecoboost-35l-1114-p-151469879.html

Whether it be the ‘freak-o-boost’ or the mishimoto that’s where I’d start. Beyond that opening up the intake and exhaust would probably help. Can you get high flow thermostats for these? Sometimes the stock ones can be very restrictive.. just thinking out loud.F730F9E9-6BF8-4395-BD31-46C970B044D1.jpeg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If it was me… I’d get the engine oil cooler and trans cooler out of the radiator as well. Run the biggest aftermarket coolers you can fit for both of them. Water to oil is more efficient than air to oil don’t get me wrong… but once either of them get hot (under load—whilst towing) it’s just more heat transferring into the coolant. Again just thinking out loud and spending money/time that isn’t mine lol.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Greg, were you running higher octane fuel?
I'm curious because the 1 time my truck has done that I was running 93 instead of the usual 85. I was pulling the grade from Heber to Strawberry reservoir (as I had done many times) in about 95* temps. I was just wondering if the 93 allowed the ECU to lean the mixture a bit more and produce more heat.

I just got back from the GTT 2021 and still love my truck.

I tried both, no change with 85 octane versus 91 octane. I had read online a guy claimed that 91 helped keep his truck cooler.

I was just frustrated and venting, they're great trucks and engines, but ours has bigger issues.... and I feel dumb for thinking that we had fixed it and attempted to head out on a massive roadtrip, only to turn back.

Greg, have you made it home? Just wondering if you need help towing home.

Yes, thanks for thinking of offering help. We actually camped in the Swell last night, then drove the rest of the way back today.

I haven't towed all that much, but the few times I have I didn't have any overheating problems. I pulled a 7500 lb camp trailer in June, do I would have tgought that would do it.

I just had brakes, coolant, plugs, and wires all done. Seems to be running great sith 95k on it right now. I do get a little stutter when really under load.. I was passing going up parleys when I last noticed it. Hopefully it doesn't become a bigger problem.

Yeah, I have towed a decent bit with our F150 and haven't had issues before. Our trailer weighs 6000#'s, so weight wise it's well within the capability of the truck. There is something wrong with the cooling system, could be a worn impeller on the water pump, calcium & crud buildup in the radiator, etc. Something is causing the coolant to not cool down.

Greg

Admin
Sorry Greg that’s sad to hear for sure 😔

I’m not familiar with the ecoboost or this company but the pics alone look to be a big upgrade. https://www.vividracing.com/full-ra...-ford-f150-ecoboost-35l-1114-p-151469879.html

Whether it be the ‘freak-o-boost’ or the mishimoto that’s where I’d start. Beyond that opening up the intake and exhaust would probably help. Can you get high flow thermostats for these? Sometimes the stock ones can be very restrictive.. just thinking out loud.View attachment 138707

I'm going to start with the basics, water pump and thermostat. If that doesn't fix it, I'll pull the radiator and see if it can be rodded out or what. This truck has pulled just as much weight in the past with zero cooling issues. There is something not working correctly... but I'll keep that fancy aluminum radiator in mind if the stock one is junk!