Report Expedition Overland

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Well, welcome to Overlanding and Central America. Hold your horses, future episodes will feature more off-road centric activities, no bets on the talking though :)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I don't mind the talking as much as I mind that there isn't any real exploration going on. It's cool to see the guys helping people out and some of the local culture.

I want to see the trucks tested. All that crap put on the trucks, but none of it being used. Whats the point.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I just want to curl up in my bed and cry because I have learned what a big friggin sissy I am. Both the dude getting his tooth out, and the little girl were amazing. That is the kind of stuff we take a week of of work to have done, then have some one drive us home, lay in bed, and take a million pain pills for. They walked home afterwards!

But pushing the vehicles to the limits would be preferable on a off-road show.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I don't mind the talking as much as I mind that there isn't any real exploration going on. It's cool to see the guys helping people out and some of the local culture.

I want to see the trucks tested. All that crap put on the trucks, but none of it being used. Whats the point.

You're seeing 5% (or less) of the video captured and while we've spent far more time in the dirt than portrayed in the show, I have zero control over content. The production team is tasked to tell a story and provide continuity from one episode to another, often our time off-road doesn't add to that storyline so it gets nothing more than a back ground shot or light nod. Out of my hands but I understand the complexity. As for the trucks, you build for the absolute worst case scenario and then drive them at no more than 80% of their capability... with 10k miles to drive outside the realm of common support, you don't push the limits on your transport/home/lifeline... kinda like taking a Rover along the the Pony Express Trail lol. That said, up to the episode 7 we had absolutely worked the vehicles pretty good throughout Baja (again, didn't always make the episode) and some short sections in Belize too. I am confident you'll see an entire episode dedicated to the off-road travel aspect in the coming episodes as we spent a few days fighting some routes further south.

Keep in mind some of these Central American countries are smaller than counties here in Utah, with populations in high number spread over the country side. You can't just bounce from ocean to ocean on epic off-road routes, they simply don't exist. If there is a road, they use it for transportation and this it has to be passable by a chicken bus. We knew that would be the case, but we also knew this was a show about overlanding, not off-roading, apples and oranges. The target audience for this show is very broad and viewership numbers on YouTube thus far are kicking but, months ahead of Season 1 and gaining momentum. While I understand the sentiment of missing the more off-road centric aspect the Alaska/Yukon season had, in terms of success and therefor viability of XO in the future, this season is beating it hand over fist.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Favorite part of tonight's episode: Kurt threatens to punch a guy in the throat.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

Oh boy. My vulgarity is all too often only exceeded by my bad manners :eek:

Episode 8 is live:
[video=youtube;EOGDovhF9mc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOGDovhF9mc[/video]

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Favorite part of tonight's episode: Kurt threatens to punch a guy in the throat.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

I still can't believe Kurt doesn't believe in volcanoes. Apparently he's one of those conspiracy theorists. He probably thinks Bill Clinton was telling the truth, too. Just when you think you know someone...

sixstringsteve

I finally caught up. Fantastic filming, atorytelling, and overall production. I could only dream to make a video 1% as good someday. What a cool group of guys.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I also enjoyed this episode a lot.

I was curious if they were aired down at all for all these bridge crossings. seems the tires slipped a lot (obviously on the last one) that could have been prevented with a lower air pressure..

Of course, every one can wheel better on the web :rolleyes:.. so who I am to say anything.

looks like a blast.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I remember the mud in North Dakota, it didn't matter much what your air pressure was set to. If you didn't hammer down and carry a lot of momentum, you were screwed. Its funny though, it was the only time I enjoyed mud. I just hate trying to clean that crap off.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I also enjoyed this episode a lot.

I was curious if they were aired down at all for all these bridge crossings. seems the tires slipped a lot (obviously on the last one) that could have been prevented with a lower air pressure..

Of course, every one can wheel better on the web :rolleyes:.. so who I am to say anything.

looks like a blast.

We were aired down a bit, it didn't make much difference in the thick mud/clay. I wheel better on the web too :D

For those that haven't had a chance to check it out, Episode 10 is live!

[video=youtube;t0vRa9qtn6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vRa9qtn6c[/video]

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
[video=youtube;9x5uZnLyFqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x5uZnLyFqU[/video]

Kurt gets major play this time.. obviously the most experienced leader when danger calls.