General Dirt Bike Questions

Caleb

Ha, everytime, we have to drag someone back to the truck we wish we had a strap, and still have never packed one..good call.

First time I ever needed it was a ride with the guys on here (gravesdiggerxj's chain broke) and strangely, I didn't have it. Grrr...that's par for the course though :D

GAR

I'm thinking I want to try a KTM 2T, 250 or 300 xc or xcw. Something more manageable than my 525. What kinds of things should I be looking for in a used bike? I have almost no experience with 2 strokes. It's kinda hard by just looking at a bike to tell how well its been maintained. should I take a compression tester with me?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As you probably already know, the xc-w is going to give you the wide ratio transmission. In 2006 the 300 underwent a pretty major enging change and it has stayed pretty much the same since then. In 2008 they added e-start to the xc-w and to the xc in 2009. The starters on these bikes have had some problems and it would not be a surprise to find one that is in good shape with a non working e-start. Spend a little time on ktmtalk and you will find that there are solutions to this problem.

Some questions I typically ask are:
1. Have you put a new top end in the bike?
2. How often do you change the transmission oil?
3. Do you clean the filter after every ride?
4. parts just wear out on bikes, what are some of the parts you have replaced on this bike?
5. How long have you owned it?
6. If they are not the original owner I will ask what they know about the how the previous owner took care of it.

Don't be afraid of a bike that has been raced. I have found that most bikes that have been raced are better maintained then bikes that are owned by your typical weekend warrior. Use your instincts on the matter and if you don't feel the seller is being honest, pass on the bike.

I found this one on KSL. I don't personally know the guy that owns it but I do know some of the people he associates with in St. George. I would not hesitate to look at it. His asking price is not bad, but I think you could get it for a few hundred less than what he is asking.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28076711&cat=236&lpid=1&search=ktm 300&ad_cid=1

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
2nd what Anderson said.
I hate to buy a bike and immediately have to dump $ into it. Here are a few easy things I check.
Chain and sprockets
Tires
Seat
Fork seals
Wheel bearings (wiggle the tires latterly.)
These things are small but if they are all bad it's hundreds of dollars that you might be able to negotiated off the price.
Piston and internals are hard or impossible to judge but on a 2t they aren't too expensive if everything else is in good shape.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GAR

Thanks for the advice guys, that really helps. What are symptoms of a top end needing rebuilt?
I saw that one on ksl, looks tempting. How are these to start without the magic button? I'm quite spoiled with mine. One if my main goals for switching bikes is to reduce fatigue so I can ride longer and faster... and 2 strokes sound cool

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm looking at picking up a 2004 CRF 450. It belongs to a friend of mine that left for school about five or six years ago and never came home. So it's been sitting a while inside A shop. I remember the bike being in fairly good condition and he always took good care of his stuff. He said just give me what is fair for me and I can have it. Nada shows $1300 low $1700 high KSL has them listed all over the place plus I think used bikes tend to Peak in price right around now with tax time. Him and his wife are both making good money now and I don't think he's concerned about the cash it all because he told me just to go take it. What would you guys offer him if you were me?

rholbrook

I have a friend that picked up the same year bike for $1,300 last year and it ran great for a ride or two and then struggled starting. Its the usual valve adjustment scenerio but when we checked, it was pretty much all shimmed out. We ended up picking up a new head with the new valve seats, piston, rings and just rebuilt it while we were in it. Now its a great bike and runs really good. He has put lots of hours on it and made sure he has molly in the motor oil he uses. It would be worth checking the valve shims to see how much room you have to play with because it will have the old style seats in it. The head alone will run you $500.

D

Deleted member 12904

We should all pitch in to buy it and then donate it to the 'tonkaman suicide prevention fund'
No kidding! I think I'm in a go dig it out of his parents shop this weekend after I get it licensed he's always welcome to ride it.

Tonkaman

I'm looking at picking up a 2004 CRF 450. It belongs to a friend of mine that left for school about five or six years ago and never came home. So it's been sitting a while inside A shop. I remember the bike being in fairly good condition and he always took good care of his stuff. He said just give me what is fair for me and I can have it. Nada shows $1300 low $1700 high KSL has them listed all over the place plus I think used bikes tend to Peak in price right around now with tax time. Him and his wife are both making good money now and I don't think he's concerned about the cash it all because he told me just to go take it. What would you guys offer him if you were me?

If he is religious about maintenance is be a pal and give him a good price on it. If he isn't then I'd low ball it. Those valves hate contamination so if he didn't change his air/oil filters and oil on a racers schedule then it will need a head job soon.