Hardline90's CJ7 RE-visited

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Here are the specs I am planning for this build.

Dana 60 front with ARB and 5:13 gears.
14 Bolt rear with Detriot and 5:13 gears.
Atlas 2 Transfer case 3:8 Gear set
Chevy 350 power plant & Turbo 350 tranny
4 Link Rear (82% anti squat) and 3 Link front
42 X 17 Iroks
110” wheel base
14" Coil Over’s all the way around set up with 5" up travel.
25" ground clearance to the bottom of the frame.
No body mounts. Body sits right on the frame and the boat sides will be welded to the frame.

Goal is to have it usable for Crawlfest and done for Safari. Fingers crossed!!

Slowpony

Nice progress

Nice work!! At least I can watch you making progress on your rig... while mine continues to gather dust in the garage.

Love the rims... just don't paint them black.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
I may have room to rebuild it using three tubes, starting with 1 1/4, then 1 1/2 and ending with 1 3/4. I'm not sure it will bend now, but it is that peace of mind thing. With what I was planning for the steering, I didn't have room for the third tube, but it looks like I have to change designs on the steering, so should have room now. What do you think if I do that? I also have to move my lower control arms in by 2 1/2 inches on the front to make room for the tires at full lock. So I have to cut the housing on the D60 passenger side by about 2 inches in order to weld the bracket to solid metal. I know a lot of people have done that, but I always wondered if there was enough tube inside the housing to keep from braking. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you make the trackbar out of solid material it will be stronger than with several layers of thinner tubing. Example, if you'd used 1.5" .250 DOM rather than 1.5 + 1.25 it would have more bend strength, even though your O.D. is the same.

If it were mine, I'd use some 1.25" .281 sleeved with some 1.5" .120, simply because I have the material and it can be tapped directly for your rod end rather than having a weld-on insert.

I've never cut a housing like that, so I won't comment that way.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Carl, would you be interested in selling some of that 1.25" .281 wall? If not, do you know where I can get a small amount. Only need about 5'. Thanks for the information.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Nice work!! At least I can watch you making progress on your rig... while mine continues to gather dust in the garage.

Love the rims... just don't paint them black.

Maybe it's time to get that thing out of the garage and dust it off. Your invited anytime we go and you can tell your brother the same thing. No the rims will not be painted.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Carl, would you be interested in selling some of that 1.25" .281 wall? If not, do you know where I can get a small amount. Only need about 5'. Thanks for the information.

Yep, we can do that. If you want me to tap it for you we can do that too...give me a call at 801-232-5781.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure who "we" is....I must be becoming more Karl Malone-ish. :p

Coco

Time for a little update. Got some more work done on the cage, and got some other minor stuff done on it.

Added the B pillars to the cage, and frenched them into the body. Turned out pretty sweet. It is looking more like a Jeep :D Started on the upper cross bars as well. Threw the winch in, and got all the cable off the drum. Hoping to have the cage close to done saturday. We'll see.

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

007-5.jpg

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

da27b986.jpg

Here's a couple of the frenched in B pillars.
006-5.jpg

005-5.jpg

And some other "cool little things"
Notched frame for the trackbar
008-3.jpg

Bumper we cut, and filled in with a piece of tubing, cut in half and some flat plate. So the bumper doesnt rust away from the inside out.
010-2.jpg

009-3.jpg

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
your going to have this thing on the roks in no time!
its lookin sweet! I like the frame notch, (I thought that I was going to have to do the same)
It looks like you could possibly get away with a little less bend in your track bar.
when I was building mine (pan hard) I thought it was going to come down 2" farther than it does. (because I was cycling the axle with out the shocks or tires on)