Hardline90's CJ7 RE-visited

krany

kranberry
i wouldnt call aluminum out quite yet, if you wanna cut the pieces out and bring them down to the tech center i will show ya how to tig weld and you can weld them together, its not hard once you get the hang of it, but by no means as easy as mig. the problem i see is your body's made of steel so you cant weld it to your body....
movin along, should be pretty slick when its all done

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Krany, where I am just going to be covering it up with Rhino Liner, I don't see any reason to spend the extra money and head ache on aluminum. If I wasn't going to line it, I would look at that option. Thanks for the offer.

krany

kranberry
Krany, where I am just going to be covering it up with Rhino Liner, I don't see any reason to spend the extra money and head ache on aluminum. If I wasn't going to line it, I would look at that option. Thanks for the offer.
alright. i have to finish coltons doors before i can do anything else

cjncustoms

Sounds to me like you need a 14" lower spring not a 12". If your coilovers are 14" travel then you should have 14's top and bottom. Thats how mine is set up and it works great! I have 7 1/2" up travel and 6
1/2 down;)

Last edited:

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Sounds to me like you need a 14" lower spring not a 12". If your coilovers are 14" travel then you should have 14's top and bottom. Thats how mine is set up and it works great! I have 7 1/2" up travel and 6
1/2 down;)

I am trying to get in the 5" of up travel and 9" down. So, currect me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having a longer spring on the bottom make it harder to get the ride height I am after? If I adjust the front to were the spring are tight, then I sit at about 7" of up travel. Not bad but I would like to get the 5 if I can. Trying to keep it low.:-\

cjncustoms

I am trying to get in the 5" of up travel and 9" down. So, currect me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having a longer spring on the bottom make it harder to get the ride height I am after? If I adjust the front to were the spring are tight, then I sit at about 7" of up travel. Not bad but I would like to get the 5 if I can. Trying to keep it low.:-\

No not at all... Your ride height can be affected by the weight of the springs and the placement of the coilovers as in how high or low they are mounted... My belly is 21" with 7.5" up travel. It's pretty low!

cjncustoms

So pretty much your up travel/down travel is affected by your spring rates and where your adjusters are set. And your ride height can be determined by where your coilovers are mounted... You really should have 14" springs top and bottom though. Is that understandable or just sound like jibberish?:)

Coco

UPDATE W/ PICS

Alright got more work done today, and got the hydro plumbed, and bled out all the air of it...getting there!!! Crawlfest looks like it might happen, might not be painted or anything for it tho :( (*cough* I hope it is then I can start on my truck :D)

started working on the tranny tunnel again, added the t case breather through the tunnel, got the rear lights in, and wired up, shes coming together!! Doesnt seem like much more to do, but there is! She is up and running (minus brake lines ran)

001-7.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-8.jpg

004-8.jpg

you can see this side panel cut, and sitting next to the tunnel in this pic.
015-1.jpg

005-11.jpg

011-6.jpg

and a crappy cell phone vid to kinda tell what it sounds like...:rofl:

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
No not at all... Your ride height can be affected by the weight of the springs and the placement of the coilovers as in how high or low they are mounted... My belly is 21" with 7.5" up travel. It's pretty low!

So pretty much your up travel/down travel is affected by your spring rates and where your adjusters are set. And your ride height can be determined by where your coilovers are mounted... You really should have 14" springs top and bottom though. Is that understandable or just sound like jibberish?:)

That makes sence, but I built it with 5" of up travel in mind with a 25" belly, I don't have the room to keep it low and still have 7+" of up travel. Looks like I may just have to live with the 6 3/4" up travel I have now and a 26 3/4" belly. It is still lower than when I started by about 4" and went from 38" tires to 42" tires. If I add the 14" 250lbs spring, I should at least be able to keep it where it is at. Does the 125lbs spring sound like it is on the light side? I just thinking I should be in the 200 & 250 range. Thanks for the info!!!:-\

Last edited:

cjncustoms

Well once your spring get broke in they will settle probably 1-1.5"s so you should be about right if that's what you're shooting for. But with out a 14" spring on the bottom you will still run into the problem of it falling off the collar... IIRC my sprin rate on front is 225/250 and it rides like a dream...

Coco

UPDATE

Alright, havent had time to update the thread till now. Worked on it all day thursday, then friday we went up to Idaho and back, and then today we worked on it all day again. Shes coming together!!! It will be sweet when it is all said and done!

Thursday we finished up the tranny tunnel, (turned out pretty sweet!) got the seat brackets tacked into place, I made up some braces for the air bump cans, got the front stinger all welded up, and the supports in, got the Hella lights in, and some other little things.

Today, we got the hood mounts done, got the seat brackets made and bolted in, got the rear air bumps all figured out, and everything welded in, and then some other minor little things.

She is coming together! Getting excited to seeing this thing out on the trails!

001-8.jpg

002-10.jpg

003-9.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-12.jpg

006-11.jpg

007-9.jpg

009-8.jpg

010-6.jpg

chadschoon

I have a quick concern but it may just be the angle of the pic? In that last pic you can see the bump stop and the shock shaft. It looks to me like your shock will almost be bottomed out before the bump even hits the landing pad. So it looks to me that you will bottom out your shock well before you even use hardly any of the bump. you should bottom out your bump before you bottom out the shock I believe...

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
I have a quick concern but it may just be the angle of the pic? In that last pic you can see the bump stop and the shock shaft. It looks to me like your shock will almost be bottomed out before the bump even hits the landing pad. So it looks to me that you will bottom out your shock well before you even use hardly any of the bump. you should bottom out your bump before you bottom out the shock I believe...

It's the angle of the pic. The bump stops are very stiff and need to be up that far just to give me some up travel. It is close though.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Well once your spring get broke in they will settle probably 1-1.5"s so you should be about right if that's what you're shooting for. But with out a 14" spring on the bottom you will still run into the problem of it falling off the collar... IIRC my sprin rate on front is 225/250 and it rides like a dream...

What motor are you running and what spring rate do you have in the rear? Thanks for the help!!

cjncustoms

What motor are you running and what spring rate do you have in the rear? Thanks for the help!!

I am running a TBI 350 w/ th400 w/203/205 doubler. So it's pretty heavy! I am just running airshocks in the rear but when I get coilovers for the rear I will probably run the same springs as the front maybe 200/225 instead of 225/250.... We'll see when the time comes I guess!