Hardline90's CJ7 RE-visited

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
Nice!I am going to copy your fair lead idea.Brilliant.

Be my guest, I stole the idea from TC and his B.A.M.F. build thread. He had it mocked up but it didn't look like he ended up doing it. The hardest part is building the inserts and getting them in and welded up. But I think it is well worth the effort.

It looks like you could possibly get away with a little less bend in your track bar.
when I was building mine (pan hard) I thought it was going to come down 2" farther than it does. (because I was cycling the axle with out the shocks or tires on)

I am cycling the suspension with the shocks on and right now and I only have about 1/4" of clearance between the housing and the track bar at full stuff on the right side. ILean hooked me up with some new material, so hopefully it won't bend. When you are trying to keep the vehicle low and still have big A$$ tires, it gets really tight in there.

Last edited:

Coco

We got quite a bit of work done on the Jeep this weekend. Got the cage finished and welded in, got the rear coilovers mounts tacked into place, and the coilovers put in. Welded up parts of the tub to keep the rear coilovers from lifting the tub off the frame. Onto the pics.

013.jpg

012-2.jpg

011-2.jpg

010-3.jpg

009-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

001-5.jpg

Coco

***UPDATE***

Time for a much needed update. Been busy with work, and working on the Jeep. So here we go.

Since I last updated this thread, we got quite a lot of work done on the Jeep. We got the rest of the cage bolted up (MY cage looks GREAT!! :D :D :D) We added the rear seat back support bar, and got it tied into the frame. The rear suspension is finally sitting on its own. My dad decided the rear upper 4 link mounts needed to be redone with thicker mounts. We flipped the springs on the coilovers on all 4 corners. Now the 125lb springs are on top, and the 250s are on the bottom.

We got the front PSC steering ram in, and got the mount fabbed up and welded in. Talk about a BEEFY ram!! We notched the front tube to slide the ram mounts just a "touch" forward to help clear the panhard bar and mounts. Still is really close, but should clear.

Then today while I was at work, Hardline90 and jgarnermurray spend 7 hours and got little done...:rolleyes: :p Spent most the guy dinking with the plasma cutter when the compressor had flipped the breaker...(I was laughing when they told me) They got the hood mounted and got the front air bump mounts tacked into place when I got home. Then I joined the fun (actually spent the most of the night giving them crap...:rofl: ) Spent some time debating how to do the side "fenders" below the hood. Since this hood has the fenders built in, and come back further than the stock one did, we have been debating how to do them and make it look good, while still trying to make inner fenders to protect the battery and such from trail debris. Got the grille hoop built and tacked into place.

013-2.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

012-3.jpg

014.jpg

010-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

005-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

007-7.jpg

008-5.jpg

They decided to see how much flex they could get outta it.

They took the engine hoist, and wrapped a strap around the front wheel, and maxxed out the hoist, and the Jeep could probably still go atleast a foot or so. NEED A FORK LIFT!!!:D
6002c070.jpg

Last edited:

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
thats lookin real killer! I love those wheels!
(when you get it fired up your welcome to come & do some forklift testing)
my shop is in orem

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
If anyone hasn't noticed Going UP's signature "Hardline90's Cage was MY idea!!!" I just want to set things straight. He talked me into putting the bend in the front bar and that is it. I had been considering doing it, but was having a hard time designing the rest of the cage off the front bar. So he won out and talked me into doing the bend and now takes credit for the whole design. Kids....... Of course he won't show a pic of the Going Up recovery point :) :)

Coco

Hahaha!! Your soooo funny!! But if I recall, I did draw up the design on a piece of paper, and you said you liked it. So there's a little more to it :p :p :p

As for the go'n up recovery point...I have forgot about it, but you won't hear the end of it, if my lil yota will ever have to pull you out :D :D

Last edited:

Coco

MUCH NEEDED UPDATE

Ok, its been a while since I updated the thread. Been busy with the holidays and all. Since last posted, we got:

Hydro steering box mounted
Hydro steering cooler mounted
Rear 14 bolt yoke changed
Driveshafts put in
New BEEFY panhard bar put in
Re-worked front panhard bar mount
Front winch hoop made and tacked on
Tailgate mounted
Welded the boat sides to the frame, and filled in the old body mount holes
got the exhaust done....may not be pretty but it should work!! Sits nice and flat in the back.

might be more that is slipping my mind right now, but thats what I remember :rolleyes:

BIG THANK YOU to Goose for letting us come and bend the new HD panhard bar!! Pops went and stuck it in our hydro-bender, and broke the die. welded it up, and tried it again, and it broke again...he was a little frustrated to say the least. Called up Goose, and he let us run over and use his bender to do it. Was nice talking with Goose again. Nice guy!!! :D :D :D

001-6.jpg

006-9.jpg

003-7.jpg

MMMM, nice new driveshafts!!!:D

009-6.jpg

008-6.jpg

steering box. Needed to add a little extra to the shock hoop

005-10.jpg

shot of the new panhard configuration

003-7.jpg

Shot with the tailgate on, and where the lights will be going. Gonna look MEAN from the back IMO

011-5.jpg

and a shot of what we decided to do with the side panels

002-8.jpg

couple shots of the exhaust.......and the GO'n UP recovery point......(he thinks he is SOOOOO funny:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Nice and flat

015.jpg

014-1.jpg

and the recovery point

016.jpg

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
The build is coming along, but there are a few things that bother me and I would like to put it out to the group and see what better minds think. First of all, I am having a hard time getting the ride height I want out of the coilovers. If I move the collars up to get the ride height, then when the suspension is at full droop, the coils drop down and I run the risk of losing the bottom collar. I currently have a 14' 125lbs spring on top and a 12" 250lbs spring on the bottom. I have a hard time believing I need a lighter spring. I know I can go with a helper spring, but don't want to unless last resort. Also, when I ordered the Atlas, I ordered 1410 yokes, but when I went to mount the drivelines, I found they sent me strap style yokes and not the stronger U-bolts style. Doesn't Advanced Adapters know everyone is trying to get away from the straps??? What the hell??? Now it looks like I will be replacing the yokes to get the strength I am after.

I also need a way to mount the shock reservoirs to the 1 3/4 tube. I know there are mounts you can buy for around $35.00 each, but that style won't work where I need to mount one on each side of the tube. I have seen a rubber piece placed between the reservoir and the tube and then clamped with hose clamps. Does anyone know where I can get them? or something else that will work?

What will be the best material to rebuild the tunnel out of? The first thought is just a good stiff sheet metal, but is there something that would be better? The inside of the Jeep will eventually be Rhino lined. Aluminum would look good, but I can't weld it, so it is out.
Any help would be appreciated and Thanks for all the support and comments!!
This is my first build from the ground up and having a blast doing it and learning a lot from the process. Still working on getting it usable for Crawlfest, Chop Chop....