Helicopters/drones for filming

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Always buy a little <50$ quad to learn on. You will crash it...A LOT!!!

This. I flew a small $30 one for a while, and crashed the hell out of it. Those little ones are a pain in the ass to keep in the air, but it teaches you. I haven't crashed my Iris+ yet, and I'm sure it's because I practiced with that little spastic quad first.

ID Bronco

The camera feature looks way cool, I am looking at the dromida ominous. Can't decide whether to get the camera model or not. It is supposed to be very, very durable. Any insight?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
The camera feature looks way cool, I am looking at the dromida ominous. Can't decide whether to get the camera model or not. It is supposed to be very, very durable. Any insight?

The cameras are all going to suck on something that small. I personally wouldn't spend more than 50-60$ on a trainer quad.

ID Bronco

I have read and been told that that Dromida ominous is built for dog fighting and guys are using them to fly into the frisbee golf chain thingies. They are pretty durable and parts seem inexpensive.I'll know how it holds up on Christmas day when my kid hammers it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So I want to get into filming with a drone, but have to start from ground zero so I ordered a Dromida Ominus w/o the camera (as it seems to suck) from Amazon just now. I'll spend some time with this learning how to fly, then down the road pick something up in the $500-600 range with a gimbal, possibly a DJI Phantom 3 (or 4 if I'm feeling rich!) since it includes a camera. I want it for filming some the epic scenery that we come across on our 4x4 trips.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Let me know how you like it. For $40 it seems like it would be fun. :cool: I've had fun with the little quads I've played with before, and this seems like an upgrade to those.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Let me know how you like it. For $40 it seems like it would be fun. :cool: I've had fun with the little quads I've played with before, and this seems like an upgrade to those.

Will do, I going into this thinking that it'll just help me figure out how to fly one of these things. I've had plenty of RC cars when I was younger, but never flew anything... well, not something that I wasn't sitting in. ;)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I might have to order me one as well, that looks intriguing especially at that price point. Wonder if it could lift a go pro if I stuck a mount to it

sabatoa1

I started out with a Syma X5C it was really durable and only cost $30
https://www.amazon.com/Version-Quad...UTF8&qid=1468240847&sr=1-45&keywords=Syma+x5c
Video after I modded my controller so I could get more distance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpDOJkvBqk

AfterI was comfortable flying it I bought a 3DR Iris+ with 2d tarrot gimbal and an SJ4000 Camera.
https://www.amazon.com/Robotics-Mul...UTF8&qid=1468240570&sr=1-3&keywords=3dr+iris+

Here is a video I did right after I got it for Christmas its pretty easy to fly. This is with the camera mounted straight on the front mount that comes with the Iris and SJ4000 on 720P. I have flown and done other videos with my gimbal if you want to check them out they are on my you tube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPo8upPfyIU

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I absolutely love my Iris+. I did the cheap tiny drone first too, those little ones are frustrating as hell at first. my Iris is super stable and have never had any trouble with it. The biggest headache was getting the settings on my gimbal right to get the jello out. I've been seriously looking at the 3DR solo as a second bird too. I love the DJI inspire, but it's $$$$

sabatoa1

I love my Iris+ and have done some auto missions and some follow me mode stuff as well. I have thought about getting FPV setup for it but have not had the need for it yet. Have you done any filming with yours yet? I have just got my gimbal working good and if you need any help or just want to go out and grab some cool 4X4 videos let me know.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love my Iris+ and have done some auto missions and some follow me mode stuff as well. I have thought about getting FPV setup for it but have not had the need for it yet. Have you done any filming with yours yet? I have just got my gimbal working good and if you need any help or just want to go out and grab some cool 4X4 videos let me know.

I've done quite a bit of filming, but need practice editing to make them more interesting. I got the FPV setup from 3DR when it went on sale at Christmas. It's good, and I always have it on when I'm flying, but more to frame the shots from the camera than watching while I fly. I like the auto mode settings a lot for wrap around shots that I can't do on my own, I haven't had good luck with follow me, but want to practice more because it could definitely make things more interesting. I'd love to get out sometime and do some cool 4x4 stuff.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I can't stand Casey. If you guys are interested in getting into flying quads please don't watch his videos and emulate his flying behavior. The way he flies is reckless and irresponsible. He is the type of person who gives responsible and safe pilots a bad name and bad press.

Edit: I guess he flies like he drives. (i.e. 5:56 in the linked video)

Caleb