help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

sixstringsteve

What did you think of the GX?

I like it. A lot. I think they're like 500 lbs heavier than a runner. There's about 4-6" more headroom inside, which is the main thing I like about it. It's not as peppy as the 4runner and they're supposed to get about 2mpg worse. It wasn't night and day different from the runner other than the visibility and bigger inside feel. I fear that parts would be a bit more expensive with the adjustable suspension height, but everything else seemed quite comparable. Both have terrible ground clearance and would greatly benefit from a 2" OME lift. I like the 4runner better for the MPG and I like the lexus better for the visibility and room inside. If I were to sleep inside both I'd much rather have the lexus.

The sunroof on the 4runner takes away a precious 3-4" of roof height at the 2nd seat.

Jesser04

Why not a v6? We have an 05 sr5 that has been great! Sure the extra ponies would be fun but it sure was nice not paying to replace a timing belt. We have 265/75r16 duratracs on it and it will go as fast as I'd like over parleys. With the seats folded all the way forward me and my bil slept in it at fyto just fine.

sixstringsteve

Absolutely nothing wrong with the v6s, they're awesome. They're actually selling for more than the v8 models. Regardless, I've made up my mind that if I get a 4runner it will be a 2005+ v8.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I can't believe I'm thinking this and it makes me sick to my stomach to say it, but have you looked at the Highlander, Steve?

It's Toyota. It's got decent freeway power and gets good mileage. Plenty of cargo room. It's a fully independent suspension. It's all wheel drive. All it's missing from your list is a low range transfer case. God help me, I think you want a (blech) Highlander.

sixstringsteve

The best $40 I've spend in this process is buying a month's supply of autocheck vehicle history reports. It's crazy how many vehicles have accidents in them with a clean title.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Look closely at your autocheck subscription...

Carfax say unlimited for a month (unlimited licence plate checks, 5 vin checks) grrr..

sixstringsteve

yeah, but autocheck gets unlimited vin checks for a month. I've already run about 40 checks so far.

I test drove a gx470 tonight that I liked. maybe 5% less acceleration than a 4runner, but a nice vehicle. I wish they had the roll-down window and hatch that the 4runner has, but it has other benefits as well.

STAG

On my grind
Take the lift off, put it on 32's and I found your perfect vehicle.

E37C30AA-6B4F-4854-81BA-532BC534C0A3_zps8nyrg1jc.png