help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

skeptic

Given the requirements above, as long as you're not planning to do hardcore wheeling in stock form I'd go with an Avalanche. Hit's every requirement, even if the MPG is borderline. Like other options mentioned, you can give them a small lift and bigger tires. Newer models get better mpg, but you might need to up your budget or be ok with high mileage.

Josh, what year is your f150?

I pretty much want honda civic reliability with a truck bed and more ground clearance.

LOVE my '08 F150 Supercrew work truck. 90mph across Nevada all day long. Literally. 15mpg though when I'm doing that. Ground clearance has never been an issue, running the stock 32" tires. 160k miles, no issues since I got it at 70k, previous driver (same company) had no issues either. We had 6 of these trucks, all but one are still with company employees or family members of the owners, and the one was purchased by the guy when we left the company.

Good idea Andrew. I've looked into the astro quite a bit, but the crash text video proved it to be a deal breaker.

[video=youtube;1JukX2VcOYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JukX2VcOYs[/video]

You should drive some vans. I think that you would be underwhelmed.

My neighbor likes his Honda Ridgeline car/truck thing...but he uses a bike rack rather than sticking them in the back. I'd take my wife's Outback over it though. Or my F150 (see other post). We have two new Chev 1500's at work...and I'll take the '08 F150 over those too. They are nice...but just not as "easy" to live with as the F*rd. Maybe a little bet better mileage though? Back seat isn't as big though. Tires are smaller on the Chev as well.

sixstringsteve

Those diesel cruisers are beautiful, but I wonder if the rhd would bug me. Plus I'm not too sure how they'd do at 90 mph. I would definitely like to take one for a spin.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
What's the model of Subaru that has the "bed"?

Sorry if it was already mentioned, I haven't caught every post in this thread. It has grown too fast ha.

But I think in all reality that is probably your next closest fit. Put a little bit of suspension lift into it, call it done.

sixstringsteve

That's the baja. They're pretty expensive for what they are. I need to test drive a bunch of the vehicles in this thread.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Little bit of lift
13F80626-B707-4F15-9041-BA7DDF9DFA4A_zpspbbj6mkh.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Honda CRV
- dead reliable
- great mpg
- no truck bed :(
- mpg isn't fantastic

My wife is out of town for the next couple weeks if you want to borrow the CR-V. While I admit it does have some drawbacks (although few lol) it does have one thing the competition could only dream of..... A BUILT IN--FOLD OUT CAMP TABLE! :tara:

Last edited:

Bart

From your descriptions, definitely the Subaru Baja. Then you turn around and sell it next year without a second thought.

Seriously though, a GM 1500 crew cab. Reliable as anything out there, great on gas for a truck, and they will pull a trailer if you ever need to.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have told you this before but I think the 2003-2009 4runners with V8's are completely underrated. I think if you could find a 2005-2009 4runner with the 2UZ VVT-I in your price range with decently low miles. I know it doesn't have a bed, or a manual transmission, and mpg is 15-17, but they will do everything you want off-road and be a dream on the road. Plus there is nothing a roof rack or small trailer can't sovle for storage. I love driving my wife's so much that sometimes I wish it was mine

sixstringsteve

This is how I transport my bikes. I wonder If it'd have room to do it this way.

dakine.jpg

I wonder if the Baja is so low that the bike wheels would hit the ground.