help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

rholbrook

I don't know how a 4dr Tacoma doesn't fit every need for you. I personally have loved my Ford F150 Supercrews. I order them new and get all the bells and whistles I want. I have really enjoyed the EcoBoost and even took it up hunting in the deep snow. I ordered it with an electric locker when has been worked great. Last night I pulled my 24' Chapparal up over Trappers Loop and didnt break a sweat at 65 mph. My last non-EcoBoost struggled that same pull at 55 and it was rev'd high just to maintain that speed. Increase your budget and you can take mine off my hands this fall when its time to replace it.

sixstringsteve

yeah, I've seen those. With the current bike designs, it's tougher to remove the front wheel, so I like to keep them on. But that looks like they might fit the way I want.

skeptic

If we are throwing out options that don't match all the criteria, IMHO the best option out there is a Hummer H3T Alpha with offroad package. Borderline on the mpg and $10k over budget, if you can find one. For that you get v8 power, full comfy seating for 5, and a solid truck that can stick with or out wheel almost everything else stock for stock. 35" tires without changing a thing (33" tires stock), 4:1 TC, front/rear lockers.... Not to mention the full time 4wd with traction control and stability control is nice around here in the winter.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
74653E44-4077-4A69-9A20-7BFBE34D4709_zps3jtvnqtb.jpg

^^ That is how you haul bikes with a Baja. Note that the vehicle was designed to do this--the bike rack is a factory accessory, the bed extender is an OEM option, and the license plate bracket (on the tailgate) swings down and locks in place to keep you legal while you do so.

sixstringsteve

If I can't hang the front tire off the tailgate, then a baja isn't going to work for me. Anyone have a baja? I'd love to see what the sizing is like and if I could hang bikes the way I want.

skeptic

If I can't hang the front tire off the tailgate, then a baja isn't going to work for me. Anyone have a baja? I'd love to see what the sizing is like and if I could hang bikes the way I want.

:confused: Not that it matters to me, but pure curiosity. Why would hanging the front tires off the tailgate be ok, but using a bed extender rack not? If anything I'd think the opposite would be true.

STAG

On my grind
:confused: Not that it matters to me, but pure curiosity. Why would hanging the front tires off the tailgate be ok, but using a bed extender rack not? If anything I'd think the opposite would be true.

Because he doesn't want to take off the front tire. Steve I bet you could totally hang the tire over the tailgate.

sixstringsteve

It's a very good question.

10 years ago, the bike industry was standardized and pretty much everyone had the same size front axle on their forks. Flipping the quick release off was super easy.

Now there are 3 different axle sizes on bikes. That means my buddy's bike may not even hook up to the mount on the baja. So I'd have to buy an adapter just for his fork to be able to mount to the baja. Repeat for each rider.

Also, the quick releases on bikes today aren't quite so quick. Some even require allen keys to remove the front wheel.

While it's definitely able to be worked around with some patience, it's sure nice to be able to just toss the front fork over the tailgate and away you go. No need to uninstall the wheel, purchase a specific adapter that works with your fork size (and you'd need an adapter for each mount, for each bike), store the front wheels somewhere, then reverse the process at the trailhead. I might as well just use my hitch-mounted rack which doesn't require removing the front wheel either. If I have to remove the front wheel, a truck bed is no better than a hitch rack for bike transport.

On the days when we do 3+ shuttle runs, it gets old removing the wheel every time you need to transport it.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
The only thing he would be gaining with a H3T over Carlos would be the V8, which Steve has never mentioned (that I know of) that he wants a V8.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It's not the bed extender, it's the way the bikes are mounted. Lots of bikes are being built without quickrelease skewers. The Baja setup linked upthread requires you to remove the front wheel, which is a little more of a pain without quickrelease.

edit - or what Ninja Steve said.

sixstringsteve

I have no need for a v8. I'm not against them, and I'm open to the idea of lots of power, but MPG trumps power for me. I never tow and I never plan on towing. I don't think I need any tires larger than 31s either. So while a lot of these are on the brink of 17 mpg, adding 33s and a small lift would take it down to 14-15 mpg.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
How about a "baja'd" Tacoma? Obviously not something this modified, but I really like the idea. All the critical drivetrain remains factory, but then you add some heavy duty aftermarket suspension and a rear locker. That thing would soak up all the rough terrain you drive over, the locker will keep you moving forward, and you'll still be able to do 80+ on the freeway!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4498442424.html

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I, for one, completely understand Steve's logic. He wants a different vehicle, plain and simple. Every day, I send my wife links to new rigs...and every day she replies, "but it's pretty much the same as what you have." And every day, I reply, "Yes, but it's something different." Good on you Steve for being brave enough to actually make the change - one day I hope to do the same... :D

sixstringsteve

I, for one, completely understand Steve's logic. He wants a different vehicle, plain and simple. Every day, I send my wife links to new rigs...and every day she replies, "but it's pretty much the same as what you have." And every day, I reply, "Yes, but it's something different." Good on you Steve for being brave enough to actually make the change - one day I hope to do the same... :D

Thanks Andrew. Vehicles are fun. I like experiencing new things. I don't regret all the vehicles I've owned, it's been a blast.

jentzschman

Steve, I honestly believe for what you do, a stock-ish Tacoma is the end all truck for you. I know the 5spd is one requirement you really want, but a 05+ Tacoma would be the perfect fit for you imho. I know they can be over your budgeted price, but I am confident that with patience you could find one that fits.

The only other "real" option I see is the downgrade the one you have now. I am sure you could swap or sale your diffs pretty fast on here and do a downgrade for not very much out of pocket expense. The only thing then not meet on your requirements would be the 5spd.

Whatever route you go, I also know one thing: I'll wagger you will want mods, it's in your blood. :)