Hot Rod parts, off to be sandblasted!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Speaking of... you know of any aftermarket drop axles for sale? I like my current axle, but finding steering parts for the old Model A axle I have is becoming a major task.

For a true rat some are using the old time set-up. Steering box from about a 51 Ford F1. They use column and all. 46 to 48 Ford front axles have a stock drop of about 2 inches and the earlier ones had little or no drop. That's what my dad did on his last one. This time he's using a Bell axle from speedway with a 4 inch drop and Ford mustang box from a 70's car. With this stuff he'll do a conventional set-up where the drag link runs down the frame to the left spindle.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
For a true rat some are using the old time set-up. Steering box from about a 51 Ford F1. They use column and all. 46 to 48 Ford front axles have a stock drop of about 2 inches and the earlier ones had little or no drop. That's what my dad did on his last one. This time he's using a Bell axle from speedway with a 4 inch drop and Ford mustang box from a 70's car. With this stuff he'll do a conventional set-up where the drag link runs down the frame to the left spindle.

I have a steering wheel, column and box from a F1 Ford just waiting for the time to go in. ;) I split the wishbone & have it sitting about where it will end up, just need to verify ride height with the motor mounted before I fab & weld the spring mount in.

My issues involve the steering arm, TRE's and not being able to find an arm with the correct pattern to match the original knuckle. I really want to use this old axle, it has a lot of history as well as cool looking parts in/on it. I also have some juice brakes from a 34'+ car which are very authentic... I think those look better than discs, but to each his own.

Greg

Admin
This isn't really an update, since nothing has changed in the last 6 months. I had a friend request some pics of it as it sits, so here they are!

Attachments

• 100_4599 (Medium).JPG
    100_4599 (Medium).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_4593 (Medium).JPG
    100_4593 (Medium).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_4595 (Medium).JPG
    100_4595 (Medium).JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_4596 (Medium).JPG
    100_4596 (Medium).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 100_4598 (Medium).JPG
    100_4598 (Medium).JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_4600 (Medium).JPG
    100_4600 (Medium).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 42

Greg

Admin
Erik... see how far off those holes are? :ugh: -

attachment.php

The steering arm is for a Model A, but there's no way it will work.

The steering assembly is from a F1 pickup, check out the cool On/Off switch! :cool: I'm going to do my best to use it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Negative... too many toys/projects/parts. I thought a 3 car garage was enough. The next house will have an oversized 2 car garage & a huge shop out back. :greg:

I have two garages with one being a 6 car... still not enough....

Greg

Admin
How to build a 4 link in one day

Well, since the TJ is out of the garage my time has been free'd up to work on other projects... like the Dodge Modified!

I started work on the rear suspension, which I've decided to 4 link. My TJ came with a bunch of rod ends and since they were free, they were perfect to use on the rat rod project! I also had the 1.25" DOM tube, so the decision was an easy one. I did purchase the related tabs and threaded inserts, spendy for a low-buck project like this, but they made the job simple.

The rear suspension is going to be a triangulated upper, straight lower 4 link. I'm using the original Model A spring (over 80 yrs old!) from the front axle, in the rear. The spring will be mounted transverse, similar to how the older cars were built. The spring mount will be adjustable, allowing the ride height to be adjusted as needed.

Here's how the suspension started coming together.-

Attachments

• SANY0026 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0026 (Medium).JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SANY0027 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0027 (Medium).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 21
  • SANY0030 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0030 (Medium).JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SANY0029 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0029 (Medium).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 11
  • SANY0028 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0028 (Medium).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 243

Greg

Admin
Welding the 1.25" tube and the threaded adapters together. The links are quite short, uppers measuring 11" and lowers just shy of 14". This 'aint no rockcrawler and I didn't have a ton of room to work with, so that's what fit. I think it will be sufficient.

Attachments

• SANY0033 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0033 (Medium).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 19
  • SANY0031 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0031 (Medium).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 15
  • SANY0034 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0034 (Medium).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SANY0035 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0035 (Medium).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 20
  • SANY0036 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0036 (Medium).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 18

Greg

Admin
4 link done... the suspension turned out very solid, no movement back & forth. I tossed this together in a day and it was very easy. I guesstimated some things but so far I'm pleased with how it turned out. Building a 4 link is probably overkill for a beg-borrow-steal ratrod, but since I had the rod ends I wanted to use them.

Now to hang the rear spring & set the ride height!

Attachments

• SANY0037 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0037 (Medium).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
  • SANY0038 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0038 (Medium).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 26
  • SANY0039 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0039 (Medium).JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
  • SANY0040 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0040 (Medium).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 31

Greg

Admin
how are you mounting the leafspring?

Basically there's going to be a spring perch mount, sandwiching the spring pack. The perch on the top will have a piece of 2" x 2" square tube welded to it. That square tube will run thru the box I built, here-

attachment.php

As you can see, the box had 2 holes in it. That's where the piece of 2x2 square will be bolted (with a few different sets of holes in the square tube) to lower or raise the rear suspension. It's a simple idea, but I think it should work out. Being able to change the suspension height will be fun, drop it on the ground for show, raise it up for driving. The front suspension will be built to be adjustable too, with a block for more height. :ugh: :busted:

If that doesn't make sense, wait for the pics... ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I'm jealous man...keep it rockin. I just ordered the rotating assembly and heads for my stroker that's going in my caddy. I researched putting a later model 500cid caddy in my '61 but it won't fit between the frame-rails without some hacking and slashing so I'm stuck that way. I might come down to GJ this spring on the bike, we will have to hook up for lunch if you aint ridin' the rails!