Hot Rod parts, off to be sandblasted!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Pics of how the spring is hung. The box will eventually be supported on the bottom of the crossmember too, so it's not single shear with all the weight from the rear suspension. I need to figure out the shackle mount, coming off the axle housing... not a huge deal, just the next step. There's a lot going on with that rear suspension, it's probably overkill, but I'm having fun mixing new-tech (triangulated 4 link) with old tech (transverse spring).

Attachments

• 100_4891 (Medium).JPG
    100_4891 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_4892 (Medium).JPG
    100_4892 (Medium).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_4893 (Medium).JPG
    100_4893 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 52

gripguru

Nate Davidson
Pics of how the spring is hung. The box will eventually be supported on the bottom of the crossmember too, so it's not single shear with all the weight from the rear suspension. I need to figure out the shackle mount, coming off the axle housing... not a huge deal, just the next step. There's a lot going on with that rear suspension, it's probably overkill, but I'm having fun mixing new-tech (4 link) with old tech (transverse spring).

I really like the ability to adjust, but agree that there is alot going on. Is there any way to make the lower mounts adjustable and create a fixed mount up high?

Just got to tell you, I have my eyes on an old implement tractor up here ever since I saw your first post of the tractor grill. If I ever get my jeep done, i am going to build a rod.

Greg

Admin
I really like the ability to adjust, but agree that there is alot going on. Is there any way to make the lower mounts adjustable and create a fixed mount up high?

Just got to tell you, I have my eyes on an old implement tractor up here ever since I saw your first post of the tractor grill. If I ever get my jeep done, i am going to build a rod.

I suppose I could make the shackle mount with different holes, but i think that will be a lot more work to take apart & adjust. With the current setup I think adjusting the rear would be easy. The 2x2 tube at the top will be trimmed a few inches more, so that will help it look better.

Glad to hear I'm helping promote bad ideas... :greg:

Greg

Admin
Well, I've been trying to scare up some extra cash by selling this project as is, but with the way things are, nobody is buying. I have all kinds of free time on my hands now, so I decided to jump back into this and try get it done. I'd like to have it driving by Christmas. :eek: Then I can sell it and make some money. :sick:

For the last 2 days I've been working on the frame, welding the joints and suspension mounts up. I spent today adding some gussets and caps... just wait till you see the gussets. They're functional, but a bit more decorative. I used railroad spikes... :greg: I work (when I'm not laid off) for the Union Pacific in the Track Maint department and have pounded & pulled more than my fair share of spikes. I thought it would be cool to incorporate something that really made this project mine. Railroad spikes it is! I also built the shifter handle out of 2 spikes laid side by side. Yes, getting a bit ahead of myself, but I wanted to see how it would turn out. IMO... it looks badass.

I spent some time with the old Model A front axle, the steering parts were giving me a hard time and I've been hung up on it. I figured out a solution, used the blue tipped wrench and made it work how I need it to. The steering linkage is now out in front of the axle, rather than behind. My Ackerman angle will be off and the tie rod will essentially be the front bumper, but that's how they did it back in the day.

I also welded on the radius arm mounts for the front axle and spent the evening taking apart the Ford 9" Early Bronco rear axle. I scored that from Bob for a song... it was a basketcase axle, but the price was right. It was leaking from almost every seal and the gear oil was one of the most foul things I've seen in a long time. But the brakes are near new and it has 3.50 gears, perfect!!

I also did a little work on the paint... it's flat black, but under that black is a red oxide primer. I sanded thru the black in a few spots to give the body an aged look. I dig it.

Pics to come tomorrow... :)

Greg

Admin
Alright, pics! Some of my welds were great and others sucked. Most of the bad ones happened when I was capping the joints on the top & bottom of the frame. I wonder if the steel I was using was low quality. The spikes also welded a bit strangely, but they're not built with welding in mind. :busted:

After welding the railroad spikes together for the shifter handle, I took the wire wheel to them and removed any sharp edges. They feel good in my hands, are a bit wide for a handle, but you know what they are.

Attachments

• 100_6117 (Medium).JPG
    100_6117 (Medium).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_6118 (Medium).JPG
    100_6118 (Medium).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_6119 (Medium).JPG
    100_6119 (Medium).JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_6120 (Medium).JPG
    100_6120 (Medium).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_6121 (Medium).JPG
    100_6121 (Medium).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_6122 (Medium).JPG
    100_6122 (Medium).JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_6123 (Medium).JPG
    100_6123 (Medium).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_6127 (Medium).JPG
    100_6127 (Medium).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_6126 (Medium).JPG
    100_6126 (Medium).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_6125 (Medium).JPG
    100_6125 (Medium).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 22

Greg

Admin
Cool! I don't see any welds I wouldn't be happy with. :)

I was careful regarding the direction I aimed the camera. :p

Cool Greg, It will have that "use what you have" look to it most rods are designed around, make some inside matching door handles and your all set.

For sure, I'm using the beg, borrow, steal method to build this thing. I stole the spikes. :eek: I like the idea for the inside handles, they're not really needed since doors won't be functional. You'll just have to step over the sides to get in.

It would be easy to heat up a spike and bend it 90* to look like an interior door handle. I think I'm going to use a set of brass knuckles bolted/riveted on the outside for the 'door handles'. I was going to make the shifter handle out of the brass knucks, but I like the spikes better.

Those welds look too good for a rat rod. ;) That's awesome Greg!

That's about the best I can do... no matter what the project!

Here's the aged look I was referring to with sanding down the paint. I did the same thing to parts of the motor and there will be more to come. I have a set of rear wheels & tires from a Samurai that I need to paint and age then same way with the red oxide in the background. I like it. -

Attachments

• 100_6128 (Medium).JPG
    100_6128 (Medium).JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_6129 (Medium).JPG
    100_6129 (Medium).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 14

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You know how I feel about this project! Glad you're continuing along with it.

I like that shifter idea. I think I'll head into the field and see if I can't find a couple alongside the tracks... a little rounding off and I think they'll make nice t-case shifters.

I've only lived one place where I couldn't hear a train in my entire life-- 3rd & N in Salt Lake. :D

Badbuggy

rock star
I too am glad to see you back on this project. You have come too far with it to just dump it off, ( unless I end up buying it). Good work, glad to see the frame all welded up.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I saw this ratrod on Crawl's facebook page and thought of you Greg..

e8bc7cb1.jpg

Greg

Admin
I saw this ratrod on Crawl's facebook page and thought of you Greg..

e8bc7cb1.jpg

Wow, very cool! I had been thinking about using an old Flatfender and building a low-slung Rat out of it, but thought I'd get hung by the 4x4 crowd. Good to see someone went thru with it, thanks for sharing Jason!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I would love to see it with a chopped top too..

Greg, i'm not saying you should build one.. But i'd support it in any way I could :)