Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Hemi headed to production!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I think the paddle shifters could be a nice addition when rock crawling.

Others may disagree but I would hate having the shifters mounted to the steering wheel, unless they stay stationary with the column, then they may not be as bad. I know there are a lot of people when swapping in LS engines into their Jeeps they have their cruise control switches programmed in so they control the upshift and downshift functions but I opted not to do that when I built mine.

Personally I would hate having my shifter spin around with the steering wheel while crawling as it would change sides. I put my toggle switch for my tapshift function on my transmission right next to my right knee on the dash and it works great for quick access when off-roading where I almost exclusively manually shift my 6L80E transmission. I can toggle up and down very easily and instinctly vs. having to think about it.

Mike

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If I could just get my left foot to hold still while driving the JL...

- DAA
I can relate to this daily. My work truck has the shifter "stalk" mirrored to the turn signal and wiper stalk. Both are blocked from view by the steering wheel. I still reach for the old shifter and clutch pedal, and sometimes turn the wipers on when I intended to shift from reverse to forward gear.

• Haha
Reactions: DAA

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
My 8 speed JT will hunt in low range... so I just manually shift for the slow, technical stuff and it works great.

Thats how I handle the gladiator shifting offroad. The Select Speed Control works well in low range as well. I would guess that the 392 wrangler allows the SSC to be operated by the shift paddles when in low range.

Last edited:

Bart

I'm sure Jeep is just using their existing technology of their paddle shifters on the Grands, and the Drive/Sport modes. My wife does not care for it, and I rarely use it unless driving up or down a mountain road, like to a ski resort.

SnwMnkys

Others may disagree but I would hate having the shifters mounted to the steering wheel, unless they stay stationary with the column, then they may not be as bad. I know there are a lot of people when swapping in LS engines into their Jeeps they have their cruise control switches programmed in so they control the upshift and downshift functions but I opted not to do that when I built mine.

Personally I would hate having my shifter spin around with the steering wheel while crawling as it would change sides. I put my toggle switch for my tapshift function on my transmission right next to my right knee on the dash and it works great for quick access when off-roading where I almost exclusively manually shift my 6L80E transmission. I can toggle up and down very easily and instinctly vs. having to think about it.

Mike

How come you dont use the factory shifter tap shift gate? Thats how my 6L80 is set up.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I am disappointed to see the 392 Rubicon not having something stronger than D44 for axles. However, AEV has been selling hemi conversions, many with D44 axles for years (I've even drive one). I'm sure carnage will occur. It will be interesting to watch.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I am disappointed to see the 392 Rubicon not having something stronger than D44 for axles. However, AEV has been selling hemi conversions, many with D44 axles for years (I've even drive one). I'm sure carnage will occur. It will be interesting to watch.

Yeah, while I expect I could put one in a situation to shred a stock axle within minutes I don't expect the LARGE majority of people that purchase these will do that.

RockChucker

While I agree that the axles are inadequate as soon as you start putting big tires on them, in the OEM form, the axles are fine. The ecodiesel has dang near the same amount of torque at 442 ft-lbs. The rear ring gear is 220mm I think, and the 700 hp grand cherokee that weighs several hundred (maybe 1000) more pounds has a minimally larger gear at 230mm.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have the eco diesel in my JLUR and the transmission shifts at such a fast rate that I don't think the axles will have a chance to break.

I love spinning the tires around corners and haven't seen any damage as of yet. I even punched it going up the left side of the poison spider sand bowl hill. my jk if I did the same thing would bounce and hop where as the eco diesel was just a smooth act. probably due to all the torque just ripped the tires free... lol

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I know there's a lot of hate towards the D44 axles but they hold up well against V8 HP and torque. Some of us don't drive with a heavy foot and don't want the extra weight that 1-ton's bring into the equation. Also worth noting is that the new Hemi powered Wrangler also has full-time 4WD which will split that HP and torque and lessen the abuse factor slightly.

I have nearly 30k miles on my Jeep since dropping in more than double the HP and torque as the OEM powertrain and have had no axle issues. Like anything else, if you experience axle issues then you'll probably be swapping axles as I'm sure there are guys who can f**k up a ball bearing with a rubber hammer and will destroy those axles in short order.