KTM 300 Database

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
@ChestonScout I still think you've got low compression. A new piston is like $100.
and a cleaned up choke circuit in your dirty carb will help.
What jetting have you got in there?
We can change the needle clip position to try and clean it up off idle. That Suzuki needle can help if moving the clip doesn't.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I’m pretty sure it’s a 35 pilot and 165 main with the Suzuki needle as per @rholbrook suggested.

It very well could be a compression problem. Guy should throw a tester on it. It SHOULD only have 25ish hours on a new top end. But I could have easily been misled

I have played with the air screw a bit. That is what has made the thing mostly rideable right now. But I’m sure it’s not perfect.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That sounds about right. What are you premixing at?
You could go half a turn out on the air screw. (1.5-2 out from bottomed).

Compression test takes like 10 minutes. I'd like to see above 130psi (like 150 would be nice). A leakdown will tell you more too.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Did some tinkering today.

Compression is good
D81E82E3-7A75-48C6-B15E-B2D15E03A43B.jpeg

I think I (with @Gravy help) found the culprit. The reeds are not near as snappy and sealed as they should be
D4DD41F0-C74F-4EB7-903D-1464287FB8F4.jpeg
It might not be the issue but it’s going to be good preventative maintenance anyway. Fingers crossed

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am out now.....I need to go to St. George and do some work on my condo.

As a side note......is anybody interested in purchasing a Lectron Carb? I just opened a dealer account with them.

rholbrook

Looking like weather may kill out trip. Everywhere I look it shows rain in Moab, partly cloudy in Green River and snow/rain in Price. The canyon may suck with snow. Lets play it by ear another day or two as it gets closer.

Russ
Harrison
Stratton
Chad???

Who else?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Looking like weather may kill out trip. Everywhere I look it shows rain in Moab, partly cloudy in Green River and snow/rain in Price. The canyon may suck with snow. Lets play it by ear another day or two as it gets closer.

Russ
Harrison
Stratton
Chad???

Who else?
I am in if the dates work.

Tonkaman

Russ
Harrison
Stratton
Chad???

Who else?

I’m trying to sqeeze out of a family Christmas party... I’m a possibly maybe

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

Russ
Harrison
Stratton
Chad???

Who else?
Me and my oldest boy are in.