KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

jentzschman

I thought you're supposed to go leaner as you raise elevation (since there's less air). Is that right?

That is what I have read about as well. If there are stock jets in the carb, it will run rich at our altitude.

I have a 160 main and just put in a 48 pilot. Pilot is 50 stock and it was running really rich at low rpm's

sixstringsteve

It looks like the KDX220 came with a 42 pilot stock. So I'm 3 jets leaner than stock on the pilot. I'm not too worried about the main, lots of guys run 140's at sea level.

I'll ride it a bit, then try a 38 pilot to see how it responds. I don't know enough about jetting yet to tell if it's rich or lean by feel. Plus I don't have much experience with this bike, so I don't have a baseline.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

It's ALIVE!

Once I had gas in the carb, it started right up 3rd kick! It's not quite rideable yet (still need to mod the gas tank and exhaust), but it runs, and runs well. I am so excited to test it out tonight!

sixstringsteve

Just for my own notes:

I threw in some Boysen Pro reeds, which leans up the pilot and richens up the main. So I bumped the pilot up to a 38.

sixstringsteve

no pics. I had to rush during lunch hour. It looks like crap. I need to route the wiring, mount the tank, mount the pipe, seat, etc. Trevor took a video of me starting it. We'll get it posted soon.

GAR

Still planning on testing this thing tomorrow in the Swell? If so what time are you thinking?

sixstringsteve

That's the plan. I'll be ready to leave around 9 AM. I'll be testing it at Lamber Park tonight and riding with the wife for some mellow stuff.

sixstringsteve

Here you go.

IMG_20130329_221457_484.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Sweet. Nice work getting it done so fast. Have you weighed it since it's completed? I wonder how close or under your guesstimated weight it ended up.

sixstringsteve

I'm curious about weight too. I'll have to throw it on the scale after our ride tomorrow. The stock exhaust is heavy, but its working so I'm not going to mess with it for now. There are still some things I want to work on, but its rideable for now. I just want to hit a real trail. I cab already tell this is my favorite bike ive already ridden. I also think I am a much better rider than I read this time last year.

sixstringsteve

I just weighed it today.

111.0 front
124.2 rear

235.2 lbs total w/no gas

no gas in the tank, with skid plate and radiator guards.

20 lbs lighter than the KDX 220. Not bad. I could get it down another 5-10 lbs if I got really aggressive. Ditching the stock exhaust alone could shave 5-8 lbs, but I like it enough as is. There are higher priorities than a super light weight, like a headlight and a kickstand, etc.

sixstringsteve

I had a chance to take this on a 4+ hour ride in the swell this weekend. Hands down, this is my favorite bike I've ridden.

Here are my initial thoughts:

Love:
- weight. It definitely feels nimble and lightweight in a good way. it's not as planted as GAR's 525exc, but I like how lively it is
- trials rear tire. No more spinning a knobby on a rocky stair section. I LOVE my trials rear tire
- low-end torque. This bike has so much of it. I caught myself riding it more like a 4-stroke than a 2-stroke. I want to ride it more like a 2T though, but it's easy to get lazy and ignore the clutch
- size of the bike. The seat height is a bit tall, but it was totally manageable. Either I'm getting better at handling a bike, or this one sits a bit lower. It's also easy to throw around and move when needed.
- geometry. Awesome geometry. I really like everything about it. It doesn't feel too long, or too short. It's just right.
- MPG was great. We went 40 miles, and I still had about .8 Gal left. And that's with the stock MX tank. With a desert tank I should be able to get even more distance on a tank.

Don't love: (fortunately all of these are fixable)
- suspension tuning. It sucks in the whoops, and is generally too loose. I don't fully trust the suspension
- it falls flat on the top-end. This could very well be a jetting issue. I need to play with my main jet and my needle position. One day I'll send the head and carb out to Ron Black to give it some extra oomph up top to make it feel more like a regular 2 stroke.
- the air box boot rubs the rear spring. I need to fix that.
- no kickstand. It's killing me. In a place like the swell, where there aren't any trees around, you need a kickstand. I must have told Grant 20 times "hold my bike real quick."
- the front tire is garbage. It's old and dried out, and missing a few knobbies. Time for a new front tire

I'm also becoming a better rider. I only killed it twice, and I didn't have any exhausting moments or anything. It carries itself through nasty stuff like a champ. If I were to ever do 5MOH, I'd probably want to add a big flywheel weight so I could wind it up and ride it more like a trials bike. It's really a great blend between my trials bike's power and a MX bike's handling. It's definitely the best of both worlds. I'm thrilled. It's the absolute perfect bike for me. Now I just need to learn to dial in the suspension better.

Last edited: