KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
they are going thru a rough time and were trying to help.

They are both unemployed and looking for work. They have plenty of money stowed away but want to keep it stowed. Its been interesting. They do help out a TON. But I miss my house.

It does give me a good excuse for the wife when I want to go do stuff. hahaha

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
5 days. That's my limit for my inlaws, less for my own folks.

In fact, I believe that's why they invented the hide-a-bed sofa: "the appearance of hospitality with the lack thereof."
Nothing says, "go back to where you came from" like a metal bar directly under the middle of your back hidden by 2" of useless padding.

sixstringsteve

5 days. That's my limit for my inlaws, less for my own folks.

In fact, I believe that's why they invented the hide-a-bed sofa: "the appearance of hospitality with the lack thereof."
Nothing says, "go back to where you came from" like a metal bar directly under the middle of your back hidden by 2" of useless padding.

:rofl:

sixstringsteve

I decided I didn't like the two-tone green paint. So I shot it white and I love it. I'm pretty sure I"ll be powdercoating it white soon.

IMG_20130327_172557_898.jpg

GAR

Nice, I like it.
Let me know when you want to modify the subframe, I'll bring my TIG over and help ya out.

sixstringsteve

I actually just elongated the holes on the subframe to get a little more droop there. If that didn't work, I'll swing by your place so we can tig it up. Thanks Grant.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If I were an engineer like Kurt, I'd make a Gaant chart. But I'm not. :D I think it'd take more time for me to build the Gaant chart than to build the bike.

IMG_20130327_075927_830.jpg

Gaant's for the win. Just finished a massive Land Cruiser build here in Australia, much of which took place while I was back in Utah. All of which went super smooth with 10+ different vendors. I attribute the success to the Gaant chart :D

Though a list is a good start and more then many delve in with :D

sixstringsteve

Guitar lessons took most of the night, so I didn't get a ton done (plus I'm waiting on parts).

The suspension needle bearings were totally rusted solid. The linkage wasn't moving like it should. I can't afford to replace them at this time, so I just cleaned them out and greased them up. They're working great now.

IMG_3133.JPG

I pulled the cylinder to find out if I had a weisco or stock piston. The stock KDX 220 piston is notorious for breaking and taking out the cylinder and the bottom end. So, just to be safe, I checked it.

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

I don't think it's a wiseco, or it would have numbers on it.

It's starting to look like a bike. I really dig the white.

IMG_3145.JPG

sixstringsteve

Thanks rick. There ate few things that keep me motivated:

- add and the constant need to start new projects
- this build thread really helps keep me motivated
- great friends who hang out and help me wrench
- a deadline (trip planned)
- the faster you go, the closer the end is in sight. I can't stand projects that drag out over a long period of time.

sixstringsteve

Definitely low hours on the bike, which is why I paid as much as I did. It's getting tough to find a KDX that hasn't been abused. It'll be nice to have a clean platform to start with.

The KTM is 193 Kyle's. That thing is a ripper. Lots more power/top end than my bike, but that's ok, it'd be too much for me right now. I have a feeling I'm going to love this hybrid.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got a ton done today. It's not as done as I'd like, but it should be rideable soon.

IMG_20130329_011502_370.jpg

Installed:
- rear subframe & fender
- new top end
- rear brake
- airbox
- foot pegs
- radiators and radiator guards
- started on the electronics

I found out it's jetted with a 35 pilot and a 140 main. That's pretty lean for sea level, but it runs great here.

To-do before it'll run:
- modify gas tank so it'll fit around the upper water outlet
- finish wiring
- install carb and clutch/throttle cables
- work on the exhaust (I may have to lengthen it 1/2" at the head tube
- install chain
- fix front brakes (really spongy)
- top of all fluids

Then it'll be time to break the top end in. I think I'll be ready for a ride around noon on Saturday, but we'll see. It's coming together! I can't stress how much easier this build has been compared to the CR. Maybe it's because I've done this once before, but the KX is a lot easier to build around.

Note to self for future notice: the driver's side swingarm metal bushing is 1-2mm too wide.

sixstringsteve

huge shout out to jentzschman, you're the man. Thanks for keeping me company and helping me with this build. It would have taken twice as long without your help. Now go get some sleep so we can break your bike in tomorrow. :D

jentzschman

huge shout out to jentzschman, you're the man. Thanks for keeping me company and helping me with this build. It would have taken twice as long without your help. Now go get some sleep so we can break your bike in tomorrow. :D

Can't, building a shopping list to pick up at RMATV tomorrow... I can see the $$$ sign's flying out the window... :D

sixstringsteve

The goal is to have it running at lunch. It won't be fully assembled, but I plan to have it running so I can start breaking in the top end. It might actually be ready to ride tomorrow.