KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

rholbrook

White would look terrible after a while. From experience, we know you will sell it soon and I don't think it would help the resell value if it is white. :rofl:

My son had a XR100 that had a white frame. I didn't like cleaning it. Always looked dirty.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking of lowering the rear subframe while I'm at it. Since the exhaust fit is going to be different, I might as well made the seat height as low as I can. Main issues are the shock hitting the airbox, and the airbox angle sealing against the carb correctly. I'm not too worried about bottoming the tire on the fender, though it may happen once or twice a year.

sixstringsteve

I ordered some goodies from Caleb @ anarchy motorsports today.

- radiator guards
- wiseco piston and gaskets
- oils/fluids
- air filters

I plan on replacing the piston tomorrow night.

sixstringsteve

It doesn't look like it, but I got a lot done tonight. Getting the swingarm bushings cut just right took over 2 hours, but it's dialed now. I'm really happy with how the rear swingarm fits. The sprocket is lined up perfectly. This has been tons easier than using the CR 125 frame. I hope this bike handles as well as the CR 125 did.

There's a little wiggle room built in to the head mount. I wanted to pick the best location to line up with the pipe and airbox. The further forward/down I rotated it, the more clearance I had.

IMG_3126.JPG

The KDX rear wheel bolts right up, using the KX wheel spacers. It looks like the rotor even fits. Now I can keep a 19" wheel with a knobby and the 18" with the trials tire.

IMG_3127.JPG

Positioning the engine to build the two lower motor mounts.

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

I was planning on shortening the subframe, but I realized it's aluminum, so that'll have to wait for another time when I can find someone to weld aluminum for me.

My beautiful 2 AM welds.

IMG_3130.JPG

I sprayed it with primer and the closest color green I could find (Ace Hardware Florescent Green). At the end of the season (or before if I get bored) I will pull everything off the frame and get it sandblasted and powdercoated. I'm still thinking white is my favorite color.

Good enough to keep it from rusting this season.

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

sixstringsteve

To-do tomorrow:

- trim the rear headstay off
- trim the bottom of the engine to fit between the frame rails a bit better
- replace the top end. I've never done this before, but it seems straightforward enough. The only part I can't visualize in my head is removing the KIPS power valve.

If there's time: put the motor back in.

rholbrook

Looking great.

Somewhere in this madness you need to take a 2 min break and go tell your wife you love her. She is very patient putting up with all the testosterone in the garage

sixstringsteve

Thanks guys. Yes, my wife is amazing. She's as excited for this build to be done as I am. And it's only 2 in to the build. :)

I just got done with a 2-week stint with the inlaws staying at my house, so I need some decompression time anyway. It was so bad I was going on 3 hour drives just to get out of the house.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

If I were an engineer like Kurt, I'd make a Gaant chart. But I'm not. :D I think it'd take more time for me to build the Gaant chart than to build the bike.

IMG_20130327_075927_830.jpg

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Thanks guys. Yes, my wife is amazing. She's as excited for this build to be done as I am. And it's only 2 in to the build. :)

I just got done with a 2-week stint with the inlaws staying at my house, so I need some decompression time anyway. It was so bad I was going on 3 hour drives just to get out of the house.

2 weeks?

Mine have been here 4 months -_-

sixstringsteve

Oh man. I would move out. Don't get me wrong, I love my in-laws, but I can't stand living with them. It definitely affects my marriage.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My MIL lives in my basement.. and has for 3 years..
along with 2 or 3 three of her children at any given time