KX125/KDX200 Hybrid Build

sixstringsteve

Ok, I just weighed the KDX220 using my super sophisticated scale.

Here's the measuring technique:

My bathroom digital scale 1.5" tall(the height of a 2x4). I weighed each wheel with the 2x4's under the opposite wheel to ensure the weight was equal on both wheels.

front wheel weight: 122.4 lbs

Rear wheel weight: 133.0 lbs

255.4 lbs with a tiny bit of gas in it.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here's my guess:

Final weight: 230 lbs
Seat Height: 37" (since that's what the KX125's have). I may be able to lower it by 1/2" by modding the subframe, but that's about it.

Cascadia

Undecided
You got me wondering what mine is at. It's an 07 ktm 250 xcf. Seat height is at 36.4 and dry weight is 236 lbs. sounds like what you're aiming for. You should give mine a spin.

Caleb

You got me wondering what mine is at. It's an 07 ktm 250 xcf. Seat height is at 36.4 and dry weight is 236 lbs. sounds like what you're aiming for. You should give mine a spin.

Did you weigh that or is that based on mfg specs? You should report in to this thread. :D

GAR

Steve, I'm excited for your new bike(s)! Does the kdx motor just bolt in the kx frame? no cutting/welding brackets?

sixstringsteve

Steve, I'm excited for your new bike(s)! Does the kdx motor just bolt in the kx frame? no cutting/welding brackets?

Thanks! Thursday night AF Canyon rides are going to be back in full swing soon.

The motor doesn't bolt right up. There's still cutting/welding involved, but it's a lot less work than fitting it in a CR125. The mount for the head and the swingarm bolt do connect, which is great. The other 2 motor mounts need to be cut off and new ones need to be welded on.

sixstringsteve

Thanks to Trevor and Kyle for helping out tonight. We got a ton done.

The KDX took a while longer to take apart vs the KX.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

It was a 2-stroke party at my place.

IMG_3097.JPG

sixstringsteve

I figured that while I had the frame entirely apart it wouldn't hurt to clean up the rusty frame and hit it with some metal-etching primer. I'm still not decided on whether or not I'm going to powdercoat it yet.

IMG_3108.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

Now we're making progress. It fits every bit as well in the KX frame as it does in the kdx frame.

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

The rear swingarm bolt fits through the case now that it's been drilled out to 17mm.

IMG_3116.JPG

and the headstay lines up perfectly. There's a bit of wiggle room to work with the motor. I can rotate it about 1/2" up and down in front.

IMG_3118.JPG

It was getting late, but we decided to do some preliminary trimming on the swingarm.

IMG_3122.JPG

It needs about 12mm total taken out.

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

And that's as far as we got. I pulled the plug and looked in the cylinder. It looks like it still has the time bomb of a stock piston. So I'll be ordering a Weisco replacement piston tomorrow just so I don't have to worry about the stocker grenading on me at the worst possible time. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have the motor mounts burned in. I'd love to have it done by Saturday, but I have a feeling it's going to take a bit more time than that.